Sponsored

Jeeping in Tennessee

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Excellent schools, and you can find land that is on the cheaper end of the scale. Oak Ridge is about 10 minutes from Windrock, depending on where you land!
Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Another thing to look at are various tax rates by county.
You'd be surprised how different things are per county.... and not just taxes & fees 😉

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Another thing to look at are various tax rates by county.
You'd be surprised how different things are per county.... and not just taxes & fees 😉
Great tip! Thanks much.

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Going back to Windrock, looking for things to do in the area, cool roads, etc. Have already been to Brushy and Nemo. Thoughts/suggestions?

Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Depending on what you want, and how far you want to drive, but Hwy 129 is about an hour south/southeast of Windrock. Tail of the dragon is another vehicle destination that other people come the the area for. The Smoky Mountains have many scenic roads that would be a good ride as well. There are many opportunities, it just depends on what you're looking for,

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Living in Colorado, I use a trail app to select the best trails based on the area. There are over 600 mapped Jeep trails in the Colo Rocky Mountains. There is a potential that I may be moving to Tennessee, so of course I looked up the trails there. I get that Colorado has a lot of trails, however according to my trail map app, TN has 7 trails. That can’t be right, is it? Where do people go wheeling when they’re not near the Appalachian mtns? Any insight from those who live there, or lived there, would be helpful. Thanks.
I know the original post was from a month ago but missed it, and since it popped back up...
Not really comparing apples to apples when talking about how many "trails" are available between Colorado and Tennessee. There is very little public land on the east side of the country and very few public roads that are unmaintained and actually would be considered a "trail". Most of the legal and well known off road places are within privately owned off-road parks. The overall scale of the land available for off-road use is drastically different as there is not nearly as much land out east.

I wouldn't be surprised that when they stated a "trail" in Tennessee they are referring to an entire riding park and not just one trail. For example Windock is a 73,000 acre track of private land (which is HUGE out east) with 300 miles of trails intermingled throughout, and most of those trails are not very long between either one end to the other or crossing an intersection with another trail. Not like out west were a single "trail" can be 10-15 miles, or more, long. I'll go out on a limb and say you would be lucky to go a full mile on any trail at Windrock or most other locations without hitting an intersection to another trail or a paved road.
Black Mountain is another big off-park a couple hours away from Windrock at about 7,000 acres....and that is still considered a big place out here. .

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I know the original post was from a month ago but missed it, and since it popped back up...
Not really comparing apples to apples when talking about how many "trails" are available between Colorado and Tennessee. There is very little public land on the east side of the country and very few public roads that are unmaintained and actually would be considered a "trail". Most of the legal and well known off road places are within privately owned off-road parks. The overall scale of the land available for off-road use is drastically different as there is not nearly as much land out east.

I wouldn't be surprised that when they stated a "trail" in Tennessee they are referring to an entire riding park and not just one trail. For example Windock is a 73,000 acre track of private land (which is HUGE out east) with 300 miles of trails intermingled throughout, and most of those trails are not very long between either one end to the other or crossing an intersection with another trail. Not like out west were a single "trail" can be 10-15 miles, or more, long. I'll go out on a limb and say you would be lucky to go a full mile on any trail at Windrock or most other locations without hitting an intersection to another trail or a paved road.
Black Mountain is another big off-park a couple hours away from Windrock at about 7,000 acres....and that is still considered a big place out here. .
Thx 6.2Blazer, much appreciated. I certainly understand that there will be a significant difference, that is why I'm trying to get an understanding ahead of time and have appreciated all the input. The 'off-road parks' that you mention, are those pay to enter, a membership deal, or something else? Either way, albeit different than what I'm used to, sounds like a fun way to get away with the family and see some pretty landscape.

EpochTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Thx 6.2Blazer, much appreciated. I certainly understand that there will be a significant difference, that is why I'm trying to get an understanding ahead of time and have appreciated all the input. The 'off-road parks' that you mention, are those pay to enter, a membership deal, or something else? Either way, albeit different than what I'm used to, sounds like a fun way to get away with the family and see some pretty landscape.
Most parks are pay to play and require signing liability waivers since they are private. You can buy annual passes to most of them. For example Windrock is $30 per person for a single day but an annual pass is $130, and it's open 24/7. Not like there is a single entrance and exit gate either to get into that park as there are trails that criss-cross paved roads all around that area.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Depending on what you want, and how far you want to drive, but Hwy 129 is about an hour south/southeast of Windrock. Tail of the dragon is another vehicle destination that other people come the the area for. The Smoky Mountains have many scenic roads that would be a good ride as well. There are many opportunities, it just depends on what you're looking for,
I used to run the Tail of the Dragon with BMW and Miata clubs. We'd have about 500 Miatas gather every July for Miatas at the Gap. Lots of insane and stupidly dangerous fun.

318 curves in 11 miles. Incredibly intense. It's the one place where you quickly learn to look for oncoming traffic in your mirrors. Yeah, the switchbacks are that tight.

I definitely wouldn't want to take my Jeep on it. Small sports cars? Absolutely. Jeeps? Hell no.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I definitely wouldn't want to take my Jeep on it. Small sports cars? Absolutely. Jeeps? Hell no.
Well heck John, it's a state highway. You don't have to drive like hell. 🤷‍♂️

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well heck John, it's a state highway. You don't have to drive like hell. 🤷‍♂️
Only if you want it to be fun!

That's the only road I've ever been on where I got motion sickness while driving.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
Was out HERE with a group of friends last summer and had a ball.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeping in Tennessee 20220927_093524
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeping in Tennessee 20220927_120955

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Thanks guys. Any hiking recommendations in the area? Would rather not drive all the way to the Smokies/Gatlinburg area which is 1.5-2hr, and be closer to Windrock.
Sponsored