Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
**UPDATED** 12/2/2018 - See RED below:

Hello guys and gals.

I wanted to say thank you to all the people who participate on this forum. It's a very helpful tool for new and old Jeepers combined. I'm on my 4th Jeep, second wrangler. I drove a JK for 3 years and fell in love with Jeepin'. I ordered a JL, like most of us on here have, and I grew more and more anxious waiting for it to arrive. During that time, I put together a unforgettable road trip plan and I wanted to share this experience with all of you as it plays out through this year.

My sister lives in Colorado and my brother has a powerlifting competition in Washington state in October and I'm originally from Le Roy, MN; super small town, no stop light, K-12 in one bulding kind of place. It's awesome. Anyway, I live in Kernersville, NC and work from home when I'm not traveling the world. (Currently in Thailand until June 16th). With all of my family being spread out and having the badass job I have, I can finally put together one of the trips I've always wanted to do.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics and updates. Trips like this are truly the reason I own Jeeps. I love this shit. Lol.

Just a few notes:
2018 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 3.6L, 6spd.
I started this trip on May 25th and the JL only had 837 miles on it.
My JL is 100% stock.

If anyone can make the dates below, please send me a PM. It would be awesome to meet up with other forum members and go wheeling! More the merrier. After each trip, I will store the JL at a storage facility until the next trip. I'll end up arranging flights back to NC between the dates and drive my WK. Living on the East Coast sort of sucks when you want to wheel CO, UT, and CA... I digress. Parking the Jeep is very affordable. I'll order an all weather cover and the pricing for parking the Jeep at a secure storage facility is about 35-45 bucks a month.

Itinerary
  • Kernersville, NC - Home
  • Pueblo West, CO - Done
  • Ouray, CO - Done
  • Lake City, CO - Done
  • Telluride, CO - Done
  • MOAB, UT - Done
  • 4 corners monument, CO, UT, AZ, NM - Done
  • Grand Canyon, AZ - Done
  • Hoover Dam and Las Vegas, NV - Done
  • Big Bear Discovery Center, CA - Done
    • Holcomb Creek
    • John Bull
    • Gold Mountain
  • Storing the Jeep in Phoenix until next leg of the trip - Done
  • Back home to Kernersville, NC - Done
The trips for this thread are done! Thank you to everyone that checked it out!

I finished the run from home to Colorado a couple weeks ago. My woman and I were able to make it through several passes in the Ouray/Lake City region and finish the Alpine Loop, but we didn't go south to Silverton. We decided to take the gulch back to 550 instead. Engineers pass took us 5 hours to complete and ended up staying the night in Lake City, which I don't recommend doing. Unless you arrive prepared, it will be difficult to rise early the next morning and stock your Jeep for the drive back to Ouray. There's a lack of resources at 8AM in Lake City. It took about the same amount of time to return to Ouray. Lots of stopping for pics.

Completed the following May 31 - Jun 1:
  • Alpine Loop
  • Engineers Pass
  • Cinnamon Pass
  • California Pass
  • Hurricane Pass
  • Corkscrew Gulch
Completed the following Jun 18 - Jun 19
  • Imogene Pass
  • Bridal Veil Falls - Bottom switchbacks of Black Bear Pass
  • Ophir Pass
  • Red Mountain Pass (HWY 550)
Completed the following Jul 26 - Jul 30
  • Top of the World
  • Hell's Revenge
  • Fins and Things
  • Baby Lion Back
  • Arches National Park
  • 4 Corners Monument
  • Grand Canyon National Park
  • Hoover Dam
Completed the following Aug 23-26
  • Big Bear
    • Gold Mountain
    • John Bull
    • Holcomb Creek

Completed
In the beginning of June there are a lot of passes and gulches still closed due to snow. If you're going to plan a Ouray trip, I'd wait until the beginning or middle of July. The San Juan County website is NOT accurate for openings and closings. I found it best to call local jeep tour businesses. The couple I talked to were very friendly people.

Here a bunch of pics we took. It was beyond gorgeous out there. Just amazing post card views all day.

I'll continue to update this thread as the year progresses and please,...if you can join me on one of the trips, that would be awesome. Thank you.

IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This is why we moved from the east coast to Colorado.
This was certainly discussed during this trip. We're not sure how feasible it would be with her job and our daughter, but discussions have begun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I can't tell you how jealous of you I am. Haha. You are living the dream, sir.
It'll be good to get together and make a Carolina Beach or Uwharrie trip. There's quite a few people on here that have plans for Uwharrie this summer. I won't be back with the JL until October, but I'll still go and just ride the KTM.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That one picture looks like it was shot between the legs of a woman in a bikini bottom. Or a thong.

Enjoy the trip! I'm extremely jealous of people with the freedom to do the things they please.
You would be correct, sir. I have always been known to just make a decision and roll with it. I do a lot of things without planning. The only thing planned on this trip is where I want to go. Everything else gets figured out along the way.

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks for the pictures! ... Looking forward for more as you progress. It is a beautiful country and deserves to be seen and experienced.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You would be correct, sir. I have always been known to just make a decision and roll with it. I do a lot of things without planning. The only thing planned on this trip is where I want to go. Everything else gets figured out along the way.
Well, she makes a nice frame for the photo, and it looks like you're having a hell of a time. Have you had any issues with the jeep?
Sponsored