Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Minor trimming of the fender liner was sufficient to stuff them. You could probably use a heat gun in the rear to clearance but I caught them in a “whoops” section out in Moab and trimmed with a pocket knife. I also trimmed a tiny bit off the body panel seam in the rear as i was concerned about it potentially grabbing a tire at full stuff. Any rubbing would have happened regardless of wheel offset and axle width, and was due to up travel with larger tires and my not wanting to run any more bump stop than necessary. It could have been solved by running more bump stop with no trimming
Seems the wider axles are doing wonders on JLs in comparison to JKs and running 37s.
Sponsored

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I’m running 1 front and 2 rear. I did trim a bit of the body and fender liner in the rear to make it work.
I love your thread. Very similar build to what I have coming.

Curious, do you have any pics of where you trimmed the body?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I love your thread. Very similar build to what I have coming.

Curious, do you have any pics of where you trimmed the body?
🙏 Thank you, I’ll see if I can grab some this afternoon. I’ve been busy with the holiday madness in the last few weeks and haven’t been on here much.

Untill then, I pulled the rear most liner piece out of the rear wheel well. The one that connects to the rear bumper. Behind that liner there’s a pinch seam that dips down into potential tire territory. It may not ever make contact, but I pulled out the grinder in the last few days before heading to Moab to avoid any trouble. I was heading that way without a group and would have hated to have an easily avoidable mechanical issue that could potentially leave me stranded and alone in the freezing desert 🤣

D25E2271-B931-4D2C-92FA-DA0F9EF7AE04.jpeg

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
@Jeepeto Just curious the route you went. I know you sorta went over this before. I'm guessing you went with the 4.5+ backspace selection for metalcloak?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Jeepeto Just curious the route you went. I know you sorta went over this before. I'm guessing you went with the 4.5+ backspace selection for metalcloak?
Ah man, you're testing my memory. I know I went back and forth on this, but I believe I settled on the 4.5 and under as the XR wheels are technically under 4.5" BS

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I was only curious because the wheels actually measure at 5" backspace.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread 20220109_190603
🤣 I never even double checked. I ordered the kit before I had the Jeep, I just looked it up online and rolled with it. I tried to look up my order info on the metalcloak website but it doesn’t have that detail from what I can tell. You probably would be best served to double check.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
🤣 I never even double checked. I ordered the kit before I had the Jeep, I just looked it up online and rolled with it. I tried to look up my order info on the metalcloak website but it doesn’t have that detail from what I can tell. You probably would be best served to double check.
Yea I think I'll go with the 4.5+ to be safe.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
@Jeepeto How do you think that HD M210 is gonna hold up to the 37s? I feel like it has what it takes for 37s daily and the occasional offroad trip. No crazy rock bouncing.

Maybe eventually just RCVs/cromos and some heavy duty ball joints?(if they're not already heavy duty ball joints) I don't want to truss it.

I know alot of people are running 37s on their JLs, I feel like between the 10mm tubes, bigger C's and cast iron knuckles, it would endure 99% of what 37s will throw at it. So long as you're not abusing it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Jeepeto How do you think that HD M210 is gonna hold up to the 37s? I feel like it has what it takes for 37s daily and the occasional offroad trip. No crazy rock bouncing.

Maybe eventually just RCVs/cromos and some heavy duty ball joints?(if they're not already heavy duty ball joints) I don't want to truss it.

I know alot of people are running 37s on their JLs, I feel like between the 10mm tubes, bigger C's and cast iron knuckles, it would endure 99% of what 37s will throw at it. So long as you're not abusing it.
I’m no engineer, nor do I play one on tv. I feel comfortable knowing it’s stronger than the standard axles, and I tend to try and find lines that crawl>bounce. I’ve watched Moab rentals with factory axles and 37s wheel pretty aggressively without issue. They seem to hold up fairly well, and that helped me pull the trigger knowing that they’re wheeled hard and don’t have all the extras that come with the XR HD axles.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I’m no engineer, nor do I play one on tv. I feel comfortable knowing it’s stronger than the standard axles, and I tend to try and find lines that crawl>bounce. I’ve watched Moab rentals with factory axles and 37s wheel pretty aggressively without issue. They seem to hold up fairly well, and that helped me pull the trigger knowing that they’re wheeled hard and don’t have all the extras that come with the XR HD axles.
yea, i'm in the same mindset. I'll always find the line that will allow me to crawl and not risk damage.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I've been meaning to get the part number off the front axle and see what exactly is the difference.

If you look at actual build outs, the xtreme recon is the only one that shows as "Wide HD Tube" on a build sheet. I've been looking at multiple build sheets on this thread.

I've looked at Rubicons, 4XE & Rubicon Gladiators.

Extreme recon is the only one that lists as "Dana M210 Wide HD Tube Front Axle" (mine is listed as "pathos" if you want to do some research yourself).

Until someone throws RCVs/cromos in it, we won't know the actual dimensions. I think this extreme recon is alot beefier than we thought.

I've even looked at a 392 Rubicon with the extreme recon package, it lists the front axle as only the M210 Wide, not HD Tube. Here is that 392 https://cryptostickers.net/Details.html?nick=MicrobeMan

https://cryptostickers.net/Default.html?scope=complete

Curious to see what others think. Build sheets obviously don't lie.

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
Productive weekend.

Alignment ✅

37s mounted ✅

Vector E-dock swapped out for lower profile version to help the vertically challenged wife ✅

Winch installed and bumper end caps removed ✅

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread 20220109_190603

Your build looks incredible and thanks for the great information. I have the same JL build 2022 on order now. I may of missed some of this in the thread, hopefully I don't repeat to much here. I see you put the MC 3.5 lift on, what did you do with those huge OEM bump stops? Curious thoughts here, I'm staying with 35" tires on the XR wheels. I'm thinking about using the MC 2.5" lift instead of 3.5", assuming that I will gain about an inch over the OEM XR setup. Also which steering components are a must to replace to get the best highway ride as well as flex. My goal is the best possible highway drivability and great flex for wheeling without going too high. I'm a regular Moab visitor so have run most the majors with my 3.5 lifted JK on 35s. I'm also wondering about the double battery and EES. Would using the Mini Tazer fix the dead starter battery situation, turn off the EES? Or is the Genesis Dual battery kit the best idea. I won't be adding any other equipment other than a Warn 10k winch. I think I saw that the 21/22 JL now has a lithium battery instead of the small battery below the battery box, does this fix it? I appreciate any thoughts. Thank you

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
Your build looks incredible and thanks for the great information. I have the same JL build 2022 on order now. I may of missed some of this in the thread, hopefully I don't repeat to much here. I see you put the MC 3.5 lift on, what did you do with those huge OEM bump stops? Curious thoughts here, I'm staying with 35" tires on the XR wheels. I'm thinking about using the MC 2.5" lift instead of 3.5", assuming that I will gain about an inch over the OEM XR setup. Also which steering components are a must to replace to get the best highway ride as well as flex. My goal is the best possible highway drivability and great flex for wheeling without going too high. I'm a regular Moab visitor so have run most the majors with my 3.5 lifted JK on 35s. I'm also wondering about the double battery and EES. Would using the Mini Tazer fix the dead starter battery situation, turn off the EES? Or is the Genesis Dual battery kit the best idea. I won't be adding any other equipment other than a Warn 10k winch. I think I saw that the 21/22 JL now has a lithium battery instead of the small battery below the battery box, does this fix it? I appreciate any thoughts. Thank you
Sponsored