First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Love your build and have been following along since you picked up your Jeep. I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with that Waterport. I’ve been looking at picking one up also.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Jeepeto the 3rd just keeps looking better and better. I love the pack racks! Been wanting those myself, but it's sort of a bucket list thing.

I had a waterport setup in two of my Tacomas years ago. It was super handy to have pressurized water available anywhere, but I could never get it to self-pressurize or maintain pressure. Still, even having to hand-pump it was great for rinsing, washing, doing dishes, cleaning muddy paws, etc. I'm curious to hear how yours works, because I'd be willing to give it another shot if they've worked out the kinks. I know they've been through several running changes since the days you could get one at Costco for $160.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeepeto the 3rd just keeps looking better and better. I love the pack racks! Been wanting those myself, but it's sort of a bucket list thing.

I had a waterport setup in two of my Tacomas years ago. It was super handy to have pressurized water available anywhere, but I could never get it to self-pressurize or maintain pressure. Still, even having to hand-pump it was great for rinsing, washing, doing dishes, cleaning muddy paws, etc. I'm curious to hear how yours works, because I'd be willing to give it another shot if they've worked out the kinks. I know they've been through several running changes since the days you could get one at Costco for $160.
Fingers crossed. I’ll hit it with the fury of the ARB twin if it lets me down 🤣

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I’m hoping the black plastic of the WP is capable of producing a warm shower if necessary. I’ll post an update on the WP when i get a test run in with it as well.
A warm shower.I didn't ask my question well; The rack doesn't facilitate a shower, just exposure to the sun for heating. You have a bag shower you fill and hang some where for height? I am real slow sometimes–

[edit] extra slow this week apparently. Waterport. You pressurize with the compressor while on trail?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A warm shower.I didn't ask my question well; The rack doesn't facilitate a shower, just exposure to the sun for heating. You have a bag shower you fill and hang some where for height? I am real slow sometimes–

[edit] extra slow this week apparently. Waterport. You pressurize with the compressor while on trail?
🤣 no worries. I was referring to “Use them to get some water around camp and add fuel to your Jeep this weekend, too?” When I asked about the rotopax.

To answer the other question. The Waterport is pressurized to ~40psi during the filling process. The container is full of air when “empty” by filling it through the hose “outlet” the air has nowhere to escape and ends up compressing to allow the water in. Eventually the pressure in the tank equalizes with the incoming pressure from your water hose and the tank stops filling. You then disconnect the hose and the tank is sitting at ~40psi. This is capable of pushing the water out of the tank for ~8-9 minutes if you use the “center” pattern (small shower) on the sprayer. Alternately you can fill from a screw off top (presumably from something like a Roto pack) and it has a schrader valve on top where you can hook a bike pump (or ARB compressor 🤘) to pressurize the tank. It holds 3.85 gallons of water in a black plastic container. I’ve got it mounted to the TrailRax system on the outside of the Jeep. I’m hoping that the black plastic body will absorb enough heat to warm the water to an acceptable temperature. The hope is that I can take an off grid shower.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
🤣 no worries. I was referring to “Use them to get some water around camp and add fuel to your Jeep this weekend, too?” When I asked about the rotopax.

To answer the other question. The Waterport is pressurized to ~40psi during the filling process. The container is full of air when “empty” by filling it through the hose “outlet” the air has nowhere to escape and ends up compressing to allow the water in. Eventually the pressure in the tank equalizes with the incoming pressure from your water hose and the tank stops filling. You then disconnect the hose and the tank is sitting at ~40psi. This is capable of pushing the water out of the tank for ~8-9 minutes if you use the “center” pattern (small shower) on the sprayer. Alternately you can fill from a screw off top (presumably from something like a Roto pack) and it has a schrader valve on top where you can hook a bike pump (or ARB compressor 🤘) to pressurize the tank. It holds 3.85 gallons of water in a black plastic container. I’ve got it mounted to the TrailRax system on the outside of the Jeep. I’m hoping that the black plastic body will absorb enough heat to warm the water to an acceptable temperature. The hope is that I can take an off grid shower.
Got it, now. I missed the waterport, and was thinking you were heating the rotopax for a shower. I am interested in how the rotopax pours and how difficult it is to mount the tanks when full. It looks awesome and I like where it locates, plus will cut down on heat gain in the back, too when we take the dog.

Showers in the back country. We typically do sponge baths, though really like giving each other a shampoo. Our off road trailer will have 21 gallons of water with a pump and instant propane heater for those really muddy days–

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Got it, now. I missed the waterport, and was thinking you were heating the rotopax for a shower. I am interested in how the rotopax pours and how difficult it is to mount the tanks when full. It looks awesome and I like where it locates, plus will cut down on heat gain in the back, too when we take the dog.

Showers in the back country. We typically do sponge baths, though really like giving each other a shampoo. Our off road trailer will have 21 gallons of water with a pump and instant propane heater for those really muddy days–

The two tanks locked together and full of water/gas probably weigh in somewhere around ~40LBS. Its not light, but not obnoxiously heavy to lift into place. As for pouring from the Rotopax into the JL gas tank... I've never actually had to do it 🤣. I've taken them for gas on some longer runs, but always made it back on fumes without having to actually dip into the Rotopax reserve. It's usually just insurance. I've run them on my dual sport motorcycles, and can tell you the CARB spout is trash. I just go ahead and change those out when they're new. I should probably do a test in the driveway just to prove it still works well with the JL filler neck...

Showers in the back country. We typically do sponge baths and though really like giving each other a shampoo. Our off road trailer will have 21 gallons of water with a pump and instant propane heater for those really muddy days–

This is next level. 🤣 Propane insta hot and 21 gallons!! Heck of a nice set up!

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

The two tanks locked together and full of water/gas probably weigh in somewhere around ~40LBS. Its not light, but not obnoxiously heavy to lift into place. As for pouring from the Rotopax into the JL gas tank... I've never actually had to do it 🤣. I've taken them for gas on some longer runs, but always made it back on fumes without having to actually dip into the Rotopax reserve. It's usually just insurance. I've run them on my dual sport motorcycles, and can tell you the CARB spout is trash. I just go ahead and change those out when they're new. I should probably do a test in the driveway just to prove it still works well with the JL filler neck...

Showers in the back country. We typically do sponge baths and though really like giving each other a shampoo. Our off road trailer will have 21 gallons of water with a pump and instant propane heater for those really muddy days–

This is next level. 🤣 Propane insta hot and 21 gallons!! Heck of a nice set up!
We have done the sleep on the graund thing for 30+ years, 25 of those together; Jule said it was time to sleep off the ground. We'll be picking up a Hiker Trailer for our '22 spring break trip. She frankly has done much more than I over the years working at a primitive youth camp in northern California's redwoods each summer. Not like these Texas hill country camps with beds and HVAC. I just like to get out alone as much as I can now–

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We have done the sleep on the graund thing for 30+ years, 25 of those together; Jule said it was time to sleep off the ground. We'll be picking up a Hiker Trailer for our '22 spring break trip. She frankly has done much more than I over the years working at a primitive youth camp in northern California's redwoods each summer. Not like these Texas hill country camps with beds and HVAC. I just like to get out alone as much as I can now–
One step at a time for me. I just got over the "2 doors = real Jeeps" phase. I'm trying to embrace this new found room and wheelbase. So far I'm pretty happy with the extra room. Although sleeping on the ground does get old. I may eventually fall victim to the roof top tent craze. I like the idea of sleeping off the ground, but I'm not thrilled about having that much weight up that high when playing on tippy trails. The gear bug has it's claws into me pretty deep though, it could definitely happen.

Sounds like y'all get out quite a bit, I can see the appeal of having a trailer with all the comforts of home. It sure sounds like a nice way to camp.

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
One step at a time for me. I just got over the "2 doors = real Jeeps" phase. I'm trying to embrace this new found room and wheelbase. So far I'm pretty happy with the extra room. Although sleeping on the ground does get old. I may eventually fall victim to the roof top tent craze. I like the idea of sleeping off the ground, but I'm not thrilled about having that much weight up that high when playing on tippy trails. The gear bug has it's claws into me pretty deep though, it could definitely happen.

Sounds like y'all get out quite a bit, I can see the appeal of having a trailer with all the comforts of home. It sure sounds like a nice way to camp.
We had an expedition rack on the TJ with a 3" lift. I didn't like the weight atop.

It'll be a new experience for us, dragging a trailer. We didn't add kitchen, just power and water. Like you said, "One step at a time." Since we have all the gear we figure building out the trailer will happen organically as we replace and learn this new style. Though I still plan to do solo trips sans trailer. Your build is inspiring me. I am still trying to decide if we keep the JKUR for my solo trips; or outfit the JLURXR all the way. Selling the JKUR sure could fund a lot of cool storage and update its lift. Fun to think about—

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

I wouldn't. I gave it a shot... twice. Both low COG setups, able to install and remove fairly easily by myself, etc. But never again.

Of course, everything has its pros and cons, but honestly, both RTTs (totally different styles from two different brands) were mostly cons. I want a trailer, but I'd sleep on the ground, in a cot, on a deflated air mattress, in a hammock with only one end tied up, the friggin driver's seat... basically anywhere before I even considered another RTT.

Last edited:

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
ROoF tOP TEnT
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread 1635455027618

Imagine this bloke's anguish when he finishes the thing only to realize the internet lied to him and most broverlanders are a bunch of man-buns with Photoshop skills and onboard french press coffee makers instead of actual experience and the thing he just spent months building utterly sucks

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread 1635457379440

More attractive sleeping arrangements:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread 1635457477875

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I wouldn't. I gave it a shot... twice. Both low COG setups, able to install and remove fairly easily by myself, etc. But never again.

Of course, everything has its pros and cons, but honestly, both RTTs (totally different styles from two different brands) were mostly cons. I want a trailer, but I'd sleep on the ground, in a cot, on a deflated air mattress, in a hammock with only one end tied up, the friggin driver's seat... basically anywhere before I even considered another RTT.
I do love my Hennessy Hammock. You sound like a guy that’s been burned pretty hard by RTT life. I’ll file that in the “hard no” column.
Sponsored