Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread

grokshot

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unilimited Rubicon
I appreciate everyone's help so that I can make the right decision.
I think I will most likely go with the Mopar lift because of the financing and the warranty. Plus because it is taller than the XR I can do 37s sooner.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I appreciate everyone's help so that I can make the right decision.
Depends on your use case. If you are just light wheeling Iā€™d agree with @hoag4147, Iā€™d probably do a spacer over the mopar lift. If youā€™re looking to push the rig off road Iā€™d do a ā€œnicer liftā€ up front, or just a spacer for now and spend the money on a ā€œnicerā€ kit later on. I donā€™t think the mopar lift would be worth the money on the XR.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on your use case. If you are just light wheeling Iā€™d agree with @hoag4147, Iā€™d probably do a spacer over the mopar lift. If youā€™re looking to push the rig off road Iā€™d do a ā€œnicer liftā€ up front, or just a spacer for now and spend the money on a ā€œnicerā€ kit later on. I donā€™t think the mopar lift would be worth the money on the XR.
Agree ^^^

grokshot

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree but my thought process was getting a few years out of the Mopar lift and keeping it all under warranty, then later going with something better later when I don't care about breaking the warranty. I definitely want to do some wheeling so not just light stuff. Plus I have Roof Top Tent and a Rhino Rack so I was thinking the Mopar lift would be better for the added weight. Much to think about here before tomorrow.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I agree but my thought process was getting a few years out of the Mopar lift and keeping it all under warranty, then later going with something better later when I don't care about breaking the warranty. I definitely want to do some wheeling so not just light stuff. Plus I have Roof Top Tent and a Rhino Rack so I was thinking the Mopar lift would be better for the added weight. Much to think about here before tomorrow.
From what I understand, an aftermarket lift will not ā€œvoidā€ your warranty. The dealership has to prove any problem was caused by your lift. Iā€™ve never had any issues with modified vehicles as long as quality components are used. I wouldnā€™t buy mopar just to keep a warranty. Plan to upgrade steering components as well, 37s will accelerate wear on these items and a heavy rig will amplify the effects. If the plan is a rock crawling overlander, I think you either wheel it on the factory setup or go big

Sponsored

grokshot

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I understand, an aftermarket lift will not ā€œvoidā€ your warranty. The dealership has to prove any problem was caused by your lift. Iā€™ve never had any issues with modified vehicles as long as quality components are used. I wouldnā€™t buy mopar just to keep a warranty. Plan to upgrade steering components as well, 37s will accelerate wear on these items and a heavy rig will amplify the effects. If the plan is a rock crawling overlander, I think you either wheel it on the factory setup or go big
Great information. I wish I had the additional money outside of financing to go with a better lift now. The rock crawling overlander is definitely the plan. 37s will come later, most likely when I upgrade the lift to a better one. I'm going to see how it sits tomorrow when I see it. I may just have them put the amount of parts cash in the deal that it would cover the Mopar lift if I decide to go with it or buy something else from Mopar later with that cash. Thank you both for all of your help!

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Great information. I wish I had the additional money outside of financing to go with a better lift now. The rock crawling overlander is definitely the plan. 37s will come later, most likely when I upgrade the lift to a better one. I'm going to see how it sits tomorrow when I see it. I may just have them put the amount of parts cash in the deal that it would cover the Mopar lift if I decide to go with it or buy something else from Mopar later with that cash. Thank you both for all of your help!
Be sure to post pics when you take delivery! I know there's a lot of guys here chewing their fingers off waiting to finally see their XR, your pics will help them get through this. šŸ¤£ Congrats on the new rig!!

grokshot

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be sure to post pics when you take delivery! I know there's a lot of guys here chewing their fingers off waiting to finally see their XR, your pics will help them get through this. šŸ¤£ Congrats on the new rig!!
Thank you. I definitely will.

Mb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
(Edit: Took delivery 9/15/21 this thread will remain and become the build thread.)

Waiting to take delivery on a 2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon and the long wait has given me time to start building out the Jeep on paper. I can't help myself and have been buying up parts that I can find in stock as I impatiently wait to take delivery.

We just sold our 2019 2 door JL Sport in preparation to take delivery on the new rig. The new Jeep will be built for my wife's daily driver (local small town driving ~1 mile per day), weekend runs to town, weekend trips, and a few trips out to Moab Utah from North Texas each year to go wheeling. We have two medium (35-50lb) dogs that will spend a lot of time in the back, and will make the pilgrimage out to Utah with us each year.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have used any of the modifications that I plan to incorporate into the build. How do you like them, how difficult was the install, tips/tricks for smooth install, long term durability, anything I should know before continuing with my purchase? Is there another product that does the same job better?

Carry over from 2019 JL
- Vector off road E-dock
- 67 designs mounts for cellphones, tablet, ham radio, mag mount mic holder, and go pro
- Yaesu FTM-400 dual band radio
- Molle bags
- Jackery 1,000

Already purchased
- Warn VR 10s
- Warn JL winch plate
- Factor 55 Flatlink
- 37" x 12.5" Tires, Yokohama Geolander G003
- MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer Rock Sport Edition
- Mopar true beadlock rings
- Rock Crawler No Limits Sway Bar Links
- Cool Tech ham radio antenna mount
- Carolina Metal Masters grab bar ā€œballā€ mount
- Magnetic Mic radio mount
- Innovative Products 4 tire air system with ARB twin compressor
- Tazer JL Mini (Had one on my previous JL and loved it)
- Rydonair 13" shorty antenna (Amazon)
- Fumoto F106S engine oil drain valve
- Redline Tuning Hood Struts
- Dometic CFX3 45
- American Adventure Labs M.A.S.S. Fridge Slider
- American Adventure Labs M.A.S.S. Storage Platform
- American Adventure Labs M.A.S.S. 6" Drawers (x2)
- American Adventure Labs M.A.S.S. 4" Drawers (x1)
- American Adventure Labs M.A.S.S. cargo shelf
- American Adventure Labs "VersaTable" tailgate table (on backorder)
- Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit (2x) Full River Batteries
- MPS Front seat overhead MOLLE rack
- ThinSkinz rear door card protection
- Spider Web Sun Shade

Parts I'm considering
- MetalCloak Rocker Rail
- Baja Designs LP6 amber lights up front (2x)
- Chase lights - I had Baja Designs S2 Pro amber flush mount in the rear bumper of my last JL for chase lights. Has anyone done this with the OEM steel bumpers?
- 30% window tint on front driver/passenger windows
- Full debadge (Considering everything but the trail rated badge as it is "stamped" into the sheet metal. Has anyone done the Rubicon stickers? I'd like to see what it looks like without them)
- I saw someone who posted a wireless CarPlay adaptor for the Uconnect system that plugs in in the center console. Does this work well? And does someone happen to have a link to the "dongle"? I didn't think to save it.
- Alternately, is there a way to tap into the Uconnect system from the back side of the radio or media connections? I plan on running cables behind the dash up to the cell phone mount anyway. If I could have a clean way to connect the cell phone with a wired connection I would prefer that to wireless dongles.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 6.52.33 AM.png
Hi - Just curious if you had said you have taken delivery of your Rubicon XR yet? What was your order date? Your build is pretty identical to mine, color and all. You have good taste!

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hi - Just curious if you had said you have taken delivery of your Rubicon XR yet? What was your order date? Your build is pretty identical to mine, color and all. You have good taste!
First off, welcome to the forum! Second; excellent choice on everything, you're gonna love your new ride.

I got really lucky on my build and took delivery in ~7 weeks. Ordered 7/23 received 9/15. It's really just luck though, it seems some take 7 weeks and some take 14.

When did you place your order?

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, there's a thread for Xtreme Recon progress

Sponsored

Mb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
First off, welcome to the forum! Second; excellent choice on everything, you're gonna love your new ride.

I got really lucky on my build and took delivery in ~7 weeks. Ordered 7/23 received 9/15. It's really just luck though, it seems some take 7 weeks and some take 14.

When did you place your order?

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, there's a thread for Xtreme Recon progress
Thanks and yes very excited. I have never owned a Wrangler before. Just did my off-roading in Colorado, where I live, in old trucks that barely run. I definitely know the risks involved with off-roading, been stuck and stranded a few times, so I will probably take it somewhat easy on this one. I don't want Rocky Mountain pin stripes to soon! I placed my order on Aug 30th, which would put me @ Oct 18th if it followed the same timeline as yours. Maybe my location would extend that arrival date just due to shipping?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thanks and yes very excited. I have never owned a Wrangler before. Just did my off-roading in Colorado, where I live, in old trucks that barely run. I definitely know the risks involved with off-roading, been stuck and stranded a few times, so I will probably take it somewhat easy on this one. I don't want Rocky Mountain pin stripes to soon! I placed my order on Aug 30th, which would put me @ Oct 18th if it followed the same timeline as yours. Maybe my location would extend that arrival date just due to shipping?
There's no telling. I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best as far as timing goes. All speculation as to timing of delivery is exactly that... speculation. It makes no sense how these things get built. Two guys with the same build, put in on the same day, will be separated by a month or more on the build date and delivery. Just cross your fingers and bug Jeep Chat for your daily update. It really is like adult Christmas, there's a huge build up and it's all revealed in an instant when you finally see it in person. It's a trying wait, but 100% worth it.

Go ahead and get those pin stripes done and over with, the sooner you stop caring the sooner you start enjoying the Jeep the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Scratches buff out, but the memories will last far longer than that paint. I've never had any issue selling a Jeep with scratches, even to dealerships. It's an expected wear mark on any Jeep.

You live in a great location to be a Jeep owner, there is so much to see within a weekend drive from your location. You're going to really dig that thing. They are far more than the sum of their parts.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I would eventually like to do 37s. I think if it stands 1.5 over what a standard Rubicon is then it may suffice for what I wanted it to do for now. My son has the exact same Jeep with out the XR Package but added the Mopar 2 inch lift. If the XR is pretty much equivalent to the Mopar lift in height then it seems it would be a waste of money for me to get the Mopar lift and it would just benefit me to spend the money on better shocks. However, if the lift is just a spacer and the springs are the same on the XR as stock then the Mopar lift would be better to get. It really depends on where the 1.5" lift on the XR comes from.
Here is what i see based on data on the forums. If you have the 2.0T or 3.6 gas Rubi, then the XR coils will net you 1.5" inches. if you add mopar 2" to a stock rubi then you will get 2.5".
My opinion is to not add a mopar 2" to the XR. Just add maybe 1" coil spacers to an XR and run 37s.

grokshot

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a very long and very stressful nine months. It's a long story that started here. I'll finish that story later now that it is finally done.

I did work the deal so I have enough money to go back and get the Mopar lift installed if I decide to. If not I have money for other parts. The reason I might get the lift is because of the additional parts I plan on installing. I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform, a ROAM Vagabond Roof top Tent, a EVO Quarter Pounder, and an APEX 12K Winch. Those will all weigh it down a bit so it might be worth it to have the little extra the Mopar kit offers and have better Fox shocks.

Anyway, it drives like my original 2021 JLU should have. I am so relieved.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread IMG_1041.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeepeto III - JLUR XR (Xtreme Recon) Build Thread IMG_1042.JPEG

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It was a very long and very stressful nine months. It's a long story that started here. I'll finish that story later now that it is finally done.

I did work the deal so I have enough money to go back and get the Mopar lift installed if I decide to. If not I have money for other parts. The reason I might get the lift is because of the additional parts I plan on installing. I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform, a ROAM Vagabond Roof top Tent, a EVO Quarter Pounder, and an APEX 12K Winch. Those will all weigh it down a bit so it might be worth it to have the little extra the Mopar kit offers and have better Fox shocks.

Anyway, it drives like my original 2021 JLU should have. I am so relieved.

IMG_1041.JPEG
IMG_1042.JPEG
You sir, have exquisite taste šŸ‘Œ

God itā€™s beautiful šŸ˜
Sponsored