Jeepers with kids

Jennerb0525

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Hello 👋 . So who has a jeep and has at least two kids ?how do your forward facing kids fit in the backseat of a. 4 door ? is it super cramped or do able ?
Sponsored

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
My two kids fit great. They’re only 6 & 9 but it’s their favorite vehicle to ride in.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Hello 👋 . So who has a jeep and has at least two kids ?how do your forward facing kids fit in the backseat of a. 4 door ? is it super cramped or do able ?
2 forward facing and I’m 6’4”.

plenty of room. Def could not do rear facing behind me though.

forward facing works in pretty much any car with back seats

they absolutely love the doors off.

i feel like the booster seat is not that safe doors off but the forward or rear facing car seat is just as safe doors on or off since there is no reliance on the door to keep the occupant in the vehicle.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
My 20 year old enjoys it. I told her she had to!!!! Lol.

just kidding. No problem at all for her.

Apoznan

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
I have 3 kids. 12, 9 and "oops". I had to get a narrow car seat (Diono), but they all fit. Even better now that the car seat is front facing. No issues except for the older kids arguing over the window seat, but that's where road noise and the radio work wonders.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I have three, and though they are out of boosters (22, 18, and [oops]12), there have been no complaints about comfort. We've even gone on a few short drives with all five of us. I wouldn't do that for any significant length of time, but we've done it. They tend to prefer my Jeep over my wife's Telluride for most things. And I enjoy it as well, especially when I get to take the top down and/or doors off.

And while not part of your original question, there is one negative...They all always really, really want to play their music and play it loud in my Jeep. While Kid 1's main music playlist mirrors mine (classic rock from 70s and 80s, a little into the 90s), the other two always want to listen to KPop. There have been a few arguments about that.

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
I'm 6'4'' my wife is 6'. Kids are 9 and 11 y/o and have plenty of room. We have done a few day trips, and 1 long road trip... seating and space have not been a problem.

Not as much room as our crew cab truck, but the jeep has more than enough to get the job done.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Can't speak to littles, but my 13 year old daughter (5'7") and my 15 year old son (6'2") love the Jeep and enjoy the rides from the back. Got to imagine car seats aren't so bad.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
We just had our first and a rear facing seat (a bulky doona seat at that) fits behind me (im 5'10). I cant imagine a front facing seat that wouldnt fit.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
JLUR with two young grandchildren here. 3 year old and 7 month old. Can get the 7 month rear facing in behind the passenger side easily but it's not a good fit behind the driver's side for me and I'm 5' 11". Forward facing is no issue at all for either side.

Car seats vary some so keep that in mind for rear facing kiddos.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
6 ft w/ 2 kids (3yo and 4mo). Forward facing can kick my seat and the rear facing forces me to sit closer a position. While I can fit 3 car seats (Diono) in the back, it’s tight.

The angle of the rear bench seems to push the car seats forward more than our other vehicle.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I have 3 kids, 5y and two 3y olds. They fit great. Like any car seat their legs get tired hanging down on long trips. My 3y olds sit Cris-Cross Applesauce (not what it was called when I was a kid) and my 5y old will put his feet on the back of my seat when he needs to relieve the pressure on his knees.

When twins were babies I used KeyFit 30s, and now they're in convertible seats, Clek Fllo. My oldest in currently in a Graco Tranzition. I have to use some towels to level out the back bench across the width and with 3 I have to use seatbelts to hold it. If you're only using 2 you can use LATCH which is much easier, but has a 60lb total weight limit typically (seat + kid which is usually around 40lb for kid). On my JK I had to get spacers to add tilt to the rear bench to get the angles right for the car seats, but on the JL the bench is a little bit better and makes a difference when setting up car seats. My kids spend long days in my jeep sometimes and they do well, but on those all day drives you do need to stop for them during the day so they can get our and run around. Something my wife came up with with our first, and which I see as a must travel hack for young kids, is stop and eat at playgrounds. Even if you're getting fast food or something, take it to a playground so they can run around and get some energy out. Playgrounds often have picnic tables too which you can prep food and eat at. If we're getting fast food, we often will eat at the place and then go over to the playground afterwards. Sometimes our 3y olds have a hard time sitting and eating because they want to go play on the playground. This is an issue that popped up around 2.5 and from our oldest I expect it to not be an issue around 4y.

Diono car seats are supposed to be really good for fore/aft space, but I have never looked at the width of them. Clek Fllos are very good for width, but pretty bad for fore/aft space.

Last edited:

Apoznan

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Forgot to add, as far as comfort goes, I installed the Innovative AT All Terrain Products Rear Seat Recline Kit. It doesn't recline the seat all that much, but it does enough that my kids notice and appreciate the difference.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
If they don't fit chuck them in the back

VideoCapture_20220725-162104.jpg

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I have 5 kids from 13-2 and they have only ever complained on long road trips.
Sponsored