Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...while we've all done really stupid things at times in our lives, should we really be rewarding this kind of driving by recovering the stranded rig?
Leaving the stranded Jeep in place would, among other things, deprive authorized users of their lawful use of the ridgetop trail.

Un-stranding the Jeep, whether viewed as a rescue, recovery or removal, was the appropriate course of action. Hopefully, the vehicle's owner, and his overenthusiastic brother, have learned their lessons.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Leaving the stranded Jeep in place would, among other things, deprive authorized users of their lawful use of the ridgetop trail.

Un-stranding the Jeep, whether viewed as a rescue, recovery or removal, was the appropriate course of action. Hopefully, the vehicle's owner, and his overenthusiastic brother, have learned their lessons.
That is an excellent point, but one in which I would have preferred, both for safety and as penalization for the offender and others that might consider acting in kind, being done by professionals....much again that I appreciate the hearts of those who helped gratis.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That is an excellent point, but one in which I would have preferred, both for safety and as penalization for the offender and others that might consider acting in kind, being done by professionals....much again that I appreciate the hearts of those who helped gratis.
The thought crossed my mind that, if a professional recovery had occurred, that the owner (and/or his sibling) be required to fund at least a portion of it.

It's over now, so I hope Sleepy and Dopey don't allow this to happen again. ;)

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
If I were the owner, Iā€™d claim to have been driving along merrily when I was abducted by aliens, Jeep and all. Hours later I woke up on top of that mountain ridge...with a sore ass.

Yup, Iā€™d stick to that story...
Funny you should say ā€œmake up a storyā€ Aldo. About 25 years ago the wife and I went to Aruba. I canā€™t lay on a lounge chair like her all day so I rented a 4WD and explored the coast of the island myself. I came to a mountain with signs that said ā€œdanger do not drive hereā€. Me being a dumb kid decided to go on. After going through some trenches which made backing out impossible, the road got more and more narrow just like the video in this thread. At one point I had literally inches on each side. I considered shutting down, taking the keys, climbing out the back window, walking back down the mountain, hitching a ride back to the hotel and telling the rental place the vehicle was stolen.
I drove an inch at a time, sweating, leg shaking and praying to God to get my stupid ass to a paved road. Thank God the path got a little wider and once I hit a road my 4 wheeling was done for the vacation.
Iā€™m 56 now a little more mature and can tell you younger guys....f**king signs are there for a reason!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@sf5211 Steve: there's, in my opinion, a fair share of pride around the forum where members may be quick to stand behind a point or close their minds to dissenting ones. It's only natural.

Thanks for being adult enough to remind us that we are all (present company included) screwups to some extent or another; hopefully less so as we age, at times in our lives; and that people's selfish actions have to be seen and counterbalanced by us with that actor's choices arising out of ignorance--that occasionally the school of hard knocks teaches us about, as it does, the hard way.

I choose to take aware from this incident the good in knowing that the actors will likely not try that again, that readers will likely not try that at all, and if they do, there is a community of Wrangler enthusiasts that tend to, even at their own expense/elbow grease, help first and judge second.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I would not have wanted my Jeep to be the one winching that one out.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Back in the 70s a friend and fellow owner of a Toyota Land Cruiser decided to take a path-never- traveled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Deep down a steep trail-of-no-return, he wedged it tightly between boulders. As far as anyone knows, it's still there.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I would not have wanted my Jeep to be the one winching that one out.
I agree with you. I was looking at the video to see if the Jeep doing the winching was itself tied off. With the exception of the possibility that it was connected to the Jeep behind it, it sure didnā€™t look like there was any other type of force holding the Jeep back.

Sponsored

EchoCharlie1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR; '17 F-250 FX4 Platinum; '15 Tesla S 85D; '15 Volvo XC60 T6; '16 Ducati Monster 1200R; '09 Vans RV-6
Occupation
Navy "Mustang" (ret); Engineering Manager, Space/Maritime Programs
Although a successful recovery, I noticed that several people were between the winching and the winched, taking videos and photos, while the winch line was under tension. VERY BAD place to be!

As exciting as such an event can be, keep your head on a swivel (situational awareness) and maintain the safety of yourself and others. This could have turned out to be a fatal recovery, had that line severed under load.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Remember, to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid. Mother natureā€™s a tough teacher ā€˜cause she give you the test Before teaching you the lesson
Sponsored