Sponsored

Jeepers and Kayakers - How do you mount your yaks?

catortega3881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, BMW M4, Porsche Macan GTS
You're right, it does seem a little dicey to have them sitting up like that on the J-hooks. I'm starting to think I'm better off strapping directly to the rails like your second pic. Still gotta find the right rack though. My husband is adamantly against rail-mounts, and the available options are $$$

Correct. Flat is a much better/safer option.
Sponsored

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
Correct. Flat is a much better/safer option.
Legit question:

What evidence is your statement based on? Here in the PNW I see j-hooks used on all types of vehicles. They are what the local shops sell and reccomend. Have you had them fail or seen them fail? They have worked great for me in some very high wind scenarios.

catortega3881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, BMW M4, Porsche Macan GTS
Legit question:

What evidence is your statement based on? Here in the PNW I see j-hooks used on all types of vehicles. They are what the local shops sell and reccomend. Have you had them fail or seen them fail? They have worked great for me in some very high wind scenarios.

Well of course the shops want to sell them! 😂

In general, I think they (J cradles) are just fine, especially if you’re driving around town ar relatively lower speeds. I have them myself and used to use them.

But, when you look physics of it, it opens up for potential problems that I chose to avoid. When using them, your now introducing height and therefore susceptibility to drag, wind, pulling forces on the kayaks, roof rack, and cradles that aren’t as existent vs flat. It’s also one more point of failure with with the cradles
as well as one more thing to manage, albeit small.

Again, I used them before. But for my style of kayaks and anything on highway, I could feel things moving and I was always worried about it. That disappeared when I mounted the kayak flat.

If you have smaller, lighter kayaks or you MUST transport 2, you’re probably just fine with the cradles. Just didn’t feel as safe for me.

The cradles also don’t work very well with wide fishing style kayaks, as the kayak is too tall width wise for the cradle. And with a lifted jeep and larger tires,I was really having to reach up pretty high to strap them down.

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
Well of course the shops want to sell them! 😂

In general, I think they (J cradles) are just fine, especially if you’re driving around town ar relatively lower speeds. I have them myself and used to use them.

But, when you look physics of it, it opens up for potential problems that I chose to avoid. When using them, your now introducing height and therefore susceptibility to drag, wind, pulling forces on the kayaks, roof rack, and cradles that aren’t as existent vs flat. It’s also one more point of failure with with the cradles
as well as one more thing to manage, albeit small.

Again, I used them before. But for my style of kayaks and anything on highway, I could feel things moving and I was always worried about it. That disappeared when I mounted the kayak flat.

If you have smaller, lighter kayaks or you MUST transport 2, you’re probably just fine with the cradles. Just didn’t feel as safe for me.

The cradles also don’t work very well with wide fishing style kayaks, as the kayak is too tall width wise for the cradle. And with a lifted jeep and larger tires,I was really having to reach up pretty high to strap them down.
Thanks, that is helpful. I have the sky one-touch and when I had my roof top tent on the jeep it caused a lot of noise on the top. I wanted to be able to open the top and have less noise and the j-hooks set to the outside of the bars leave the middle wide open with very minimal increase in noise.

Our kayaks are 12' and under 40lbs. I would have to add something to the bars to strap them flat cause the have a v bottom and top. The shop did sell foam cradles for that purpose. With the top open I can see the boats and they don't move even a little bit. I guess it really depends on your situation.

With the kayaks being aerodynamic and so light, I feel they are less of a strain than the roof top tent. Both are within the dynamic weight limits of the rack, but the kayaks do look more like a sail!

Sponsored

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
I use a yakima rack with gutter mount for years on a Cherokee, now on the wrangler. I've loaded them flat, vertical with a couple different mounts. Had five whitewater boats on the cherokee regularly, never had an issue. I've got cradles for the sea kayaks but I've mounted them vertical when I needed to carry more than two boats. Always use a bow line for safety.

Last edited:

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Has anyone tried to carry a double cockpit (2-person) bluewater kayak on a 2-door Jeep? Just trying to picture it is a bit amusing --- and a little scary.
Sponsored