Jeeper shot and killed in Sierra County California

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
man, I'd never want to get hit with wasp spray...

2) Wasp spray is a poison: Approved bear spray contains capsaicin, a chemical derived from cayenne peppers that temporarily disables bears, or people, without typically causing permanent harm. In contrast, wasp spray is a poison that could be harmful to both people and bears.

Bug sprays contain active ingredients called pyrethroids, which stun and kill insects; but in humans, the chemicals can interfere with nerve signaling, which can lead to abnormal sensations, and in some cases, seizures or paralysis, A
Meh...if use of force is justified, it really doesn't matter. Moral of the story....avoid situations that rise to the level of physical violence. If you can't, do whatever it takes to win the fight b/c in today's world you can't know for certain it's just going to end in a fist fight or go far beyond it.

And if I'm going to get in a fight for my life or for those in my tribe, I want the odds stacked in my favor as much as possible.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
DA's are so often swayed to full murder charges.. we need to find some EXTREME less lethal.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
DA's are so often swayed to full murder charges.. we need to find some EXTREME less lethal.
The problem with less than lethal is that they are often not reliable. Beating a tazer (for example) is relatively easy if you know how they work. People that say, "Oh, you should just shoot them in the leg" know less about anatomy than they do about stopping a determined adversary....and that's saying something about the level of ignorance or the bubble those people grew up in.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Believe me I'm 1000% about force with force and center mass but...

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, 2009 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I know you're hamstrung by your state....
I didn't appreciate this when I was younger. I relocated for work a couple years ago and the first thing I checked was CCW requirements.

Remember the police serve and protect the public peace. Your safety and your families safety are not required for them to achieve their goal.

Be safe out there people.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The problem with less than lethal is that they are often not reliable.
Exactly. Too much reliance on secondary weapons can lead to trouble.

What happens if those secondary weapons fail or fail to stop the threat? Or if the victim becomes incapacitated during the fight and is unable to deploy the secondary weapon?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't appreciate this when I was younger. I relocated for work a couple years ago and the first thing I checked was CCW requirements.

Remember the police serve and protect the public peace. Your safety and your families safety are not required for them to achieve their goal.

Be safe out there people.
Actually, in point of fact, numerous lower courts as well as the SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled (what I believe you're hinting at) that police have no obligation to "protect and serve".

Reactions: GtX

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, 2009 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, in point of fact, numerous lower courts as well as the SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled (what I believe you're hinting at) that police have no obligation to "protect and serve".
Different side of the same coin. Either way, you better be ready to defend your life and that of your family. No one else is going to do it.

Squibbles

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
This is some serious nightmare fuel. Call it paranoia, but I've had this thought occur a few times already. it started with one time crossing paths with some bears (not common in our area of NY), but at a safe distance. One of the next few times we were on a popular (easy) trail and came a cross a gathering of drunks who were "camping" and looked like some rejects from the Hills have Eyes. They were friendly (thankfully) but We opted to skip lunch and keep moving. Since then, a couple of our group members have their CC permits. I've been thinking about getting mine, but I just haven't had the chance.

What do you do if you run into this kind of trouble (human or otherwise) on the trail? I don't have an easy answer. Even if you're armed, there's no guarantees the other party can't outshoot you (via aim, quicker draw, or just plain having a bigger gun).

Scary and sad stuff. I hope the family pulls through and gets what they need.
You might be better off having a shotgun or a PCC in the Jeep than something small and concealable. I have a Glock 27 but I’ll use my full size .45 if I’m going out far or take my 12 gauge if I’m going out really far.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t see how that’s a farce when it’s already happening. Here in NYC there’s easily 50 shootings per weekend and I can tell you it’s not happening in the nice areas.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t see how that’s a farce when it’s already happening. Here in NYC there’s easily 50 shootings per weekend and I can tell you it’s not happening in the nice areas.
The underlying and overwhelming problem with memes is that they try to reduce very complex topics into a pithy statement that is usually a gross generalization, an overdramatization, open to several interpretations or worse.

This one is no different.

**EDIT** Forgot to mention they can occasionally serve the useful purpose of getting a meaningful conversation started.

Last edited:

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This is some serious nightmare fuel. Call it paranoia, but I've had this thought occur a few times already. it started with one time crossing paths with some bears (not common in our area of NY), but at a safe distance. One of the next few times we were on a popular (easy) trail and came a cross a gathering of drunks who were "camping" and looked like some rejects from the Hills have Eyes. They were friendly (thankfully) but We opted to skip lunch and keep moving. Since then, a couple of our group members have their CC permits. I've been thinking about getting mine, but I just haven't had the chance.

What do you do if you run into this kind of trouble (human or otherwise) on the trail? I don't have an easy answer. Even if you're armed, there's no guarantees the other party can't outshoot you (via aim, quicker draw, or just plain having a bigger gun).

Scary and sad stuff. I hope the family pulls through and gets what they need.
Do please share where you are going offroad with your Jeep in NY?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
At what point did displaying the American flag become a symbol of racism. More importantly, who is responsible for this tying together. Always see the bigger picture, do not allow yourself to be mind controlled. Displaying our flag is not racist, just as kneeling before it to bring attention to an issue is not anti-patriotic. Wake up.. and stop letting people tell you what to think.

Quadratec