Jeeper shot and killed in Sierra County California

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport unlimited, 1976 GMC High Sierra 4x4 Lifted on 35's
it’s truly horrible. It sucks when I respond to a call like this and have to look the family in the eye and we both know there is nothing any of us can do to make it right.
We can take people into custody and build the best case possible, but it just isn’t enough sometimes.
I agree.. i also feel some times the lawyers are the problem. what happen to the days of people having common sense?

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Scary to read that type of stuff. I didn't read all the replies, but I keep a can of bear spray in my rear cup holder. I figure it's good to have since we camp in bear territory, but I'll admit to grabbing it a couple times when rolling up on some groups. If worse comes to worse, that 30+ foot long fog might distract long enough to get away. (Assuming I'm not downwind during a tornado.)
Wasp Spray, the kind that shoots 25-30', is very effective if you spray it at the face, temporary blindness. Legal to have..

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Sad stuff. Here in Texas we can carry in our vehicles as an extension of our homes, which I do.
I wish CA was the same. I’m going to either just break the law, jump through a shitload of flaming hoops to get a CCW permit (including an in person interview with the chief of police to explain why a civilian needs a CCW), or if you are “Camping” it’s legal to carry a loaded gun in CA. Until CCW happens looks like I might “go camping” every time I go wheeling with the wife.

EDH_JL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I wish CA was the same. I’m going to either just break the law, jump through a shitload of flaming hoops to get a CCW permit (including an in person interview with the chief of police to explain why a civilian needs a CCW), or if you are “Camping” it’s legal to carry a loaded gun in CA. Until CCW happens looks like I might “go camping” every time I go wheeling with the wife.
Get a hunting and fishing license. It greatly expands your carry options without a CCW. "Going camping" isn't enough to get around transport laws in this state of ours.

I was thinking about this poor guy and his family the other day as hunting season is around the corner and the fires have probably displaced all the tweakers from their hidey holes. Stay safe everyone once the forests re-open.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Get a hunting and fishing license. It greatly expands your carry options without a CCW. "Going camping" isn't enough to get around transport laws in this state of ours.

I was thinking about this poor guy and his family the other day as hunting season is around the corner and the fires have probably displaced all the tweakers from their hidey holes. Stay safe everyone once the forests re-open.
just to clarify, having a fishing and/or hunting license does not change the transport conditions for a non-CCW holder. it does however allow you to legal conceal while hiking / walking to or from your fishing location. this does not extend in general to a motor vehicle, however, forest roads seem to be a grey area, or at least I have not been able to locate any information as to how they are treated in regards to fishing/hunting license concealed carry.

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If you have a roof top tent makes the explanation easier. But doesn't CA restrict where you can camp? I mean, the homeless in the cities there make a strong argument that laws relating to drugs, environment, sanitation, trespass, and camping are all out the window in the Krown's eyes, but you'd hate to be a member of the only non-protected group that gets made an example of.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
so, here's a semi- related question, as I know very little and have had very little experience with responsible fire arms owners: Several of the trails I run regularly loop through state lines (VT, MA, NY), and we frequently go from NY to MA to wheel, or NY to VT to wheel.

Can you carry across state lines if you're not military/ Police? I've heard a handful of varying responses from "That's a federal crime" to "As long as you don't get caught". I get the sentiment of the latter, but I'm honestly trying to do things by the letter of the law to avoid any potential issues. I know laws vary from state to state- but I also don't need a Felony because someone feels like they're Wyatt Earp and thinks everyone else should be too.
You need to KNOW the laws for every state you enter. Ny, Ma, NJ, have some of the most restrictive laws in the nation. Ignorance is no excuse and you can wind up on the wrong side of bars very quickly. I STRONGLY suggest you get a Current copy of “Traveler’s Guide to Firearms Laws” and know what it says. Me, I stay out of states where my CC permit isn’t honored. I’ve carried legally for more than 3 decades now and have no intention of stopping now. Been in all the states in the past for work and have no need to return to those where the constitution isn’t respected. Be careful, follow the law, and stay safe.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2018 Sting Gray JLR, 2020 Firecracker Willys JL
Large donations to the DA or Sheriffs campaign seem to do the trick, or you can do what a former business associate does and fly the Sheriff and his cronies to Vegas in one of your fixed wing business aircraft, or take him for rides in your helicopter.

Aside from having large sums of political largesse, or operating a 135 charter company, getting a CCW in California is potentially, depending on where you live, impossible for us poors.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Large donations to the DA or Sheriffs campaign seem to do the trick, or you can do what a former business associate does and fly the Sheriff and his cronies to Vegas in one of your fixed wing business aircraft, or take him for rides in your helicopter.

Aside from having large sums of political largesse, or operating a 135 charter company, getting a CCW in California is potentially, depending on where you live, impossible for us poors.
Ahhh good ole bribery... too much $ for me lol

I’ll definitely look into that hinting and fishing license. If I had a fishing pole in the back, and small tackle box would seem like a reasonable thing as long as a body of water was somewhat nearby. I wouldn’t mind carrying it unloaded and locked in the back till I got to the trail. Then while airing down, load up. End of day reverse and unload and put away while airing back up.

What do you guys think of that plan with the hunting and fishing license?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Ahhh good ole bribery... too much $ for me lol

I’ll definitely look into that hinting and fishing license. If I had a fishing pole in the back, and small tackle box would seem like a reasonable thing as long as a body of water was somewhat nearby. I wouldn’t mind carrying it unloaded and locked in the back till I got to the trail. Then while airing down, load up. End of day reverse and unload and put away while airing back up.

What do you guys think of that plan with the hunting and fishing license?
Unloaded firearms not in condition one are just hammers. I know you're hamstrung by your state....but frankly, my moral compass functions just fine and "can't" versus "not allowed" is a distinction I often flaunt.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
If your dead, legal or illegal is not relevant. Just carry and remember no one can describe how a killer looks. Just be prepared to protect you and your family. Dead people don’t talk. Don’t trust anyone period.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
man, I'd never want to get hit with wasp spray...

2) Wasp spray is a poison: Approved bear spray contains capsaicin, a chemical derived from cayenne peppers that temporarily disables bears, or people, without typically causing permanent harm. In contrast, wasp spray is a poison that could be harmful to both people and bears.

Bug sprays contain active ingredients called pyrethroids, which stun and kill insects; but in humans, the chemicals can interfere with nerve signaling, which can lead to abnormal sensations, and in some cases, seizures or paralysis, A

RedundanT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
man, I'd never want to get hit with wasp spray...

2) Wasp spray is a poison: Approved bear spray contains capsaicin, a chemical derived from cayenne peppers that temporarily disables bears, or people, without typically causing permanent harm. In contrast, wasp spray is a poison that could be harmful to both people and bears.

Bug sprays contain active ingredients called pyrethroids, which stun and kill insects; but in humans, the chemicals can interfere with nerve signaling, which can lead to abnormal sensations, and in some cases, seizures or paralysis, A
In a bad guy life or my death situation, I really don't care if he is poisoned, has a stoke or is offended by the quantity of cartridges my auto has in reserve.

Tri-City Jeep