Jeeper shot and killed in Sierra County California

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I wanted this in the general discussion to reach as many people as possible. Be careful. Go with groups. Be prepared.

This incident reportedly started as a fight between a male in a jeep and a subject/s in a side by side. The jeeper was shot and killed and his 15 year old son was abducted but escaped and was found in the forest. This resulted in an officer involved shooting with one suspect dead and the other in custody from the sounds of it. Please be careful out there.

There is a gofundme for the family. I do not know them. Please help if you can. https://gf.me/u/yfanxr

GcupyIPgvDahRbnkeQJCt0_X-Ew&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg
Still ongoing at 11:50 a.m. 7/4/20
Sierra County Sheriff’s Office
On July 3, 2020, at about 1600 hours, the Sierra County Sheriff’s Office received information that two persons were shot in a remote area of northwestern Sierra County. While deputies were responding, we received information that both shooting victims were being transported out of the area by private vehicle. Both shooting victims made it to the Cal-Ida area, where they received initial medical treatment. Both victims were transported to the hospital by helicopter with non-life-threatening injuries.
Shortly after learning the two victims were being transported out, the sheriff’s office received a call of a third shooting victim in the same general area. The caller stated they fled the area after the shooting, and are now lost. Deputies were able to make it to the third victim, who was found deceased. In addition to searching for the suspect, deputies are searching for the lost juvenile.
This is an active and ongoing investigation and search. The sheriff’s office has reached out to the neighboring law enforcement agencies for assistance.
Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to please contact the Sierra County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 289-3700.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
This is some serious nightmare fuel. Call it paranoia, but I've had this thought occur a few times already. it started with one time crossing paths with some bears (not common in our area of NY), but at a safe distance. One of the next few times we were on a popular (easy) trail and came a cross a gathering of drunks who were "camping" and looked like some rejects from the Hills have Eyes. They were friendly (thankfully) but We opted to skip lunch and keep moving. Since then, a couple of our group members have their CC permits. I've been thinking about getting mine, but I just haven't had the chance.

What do you do if you run into this kind of trouble (human or otherwise) on the trail? I don't have an easy answer. Even if you're armed, there's no guarantees the other party can't outshoot you (via aim, quicker draw, or just plain having a bigger gun).

Scary and sad stuff. I hope the family pulls through and gets what they need.

BeachJunkie

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Willys
Reminds me of the old movie, “Deliverance,” Look it up. Scary stuff out there.

PavementWarrior

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
there will always be predators, even if you have group and guns dont let them make you "Braver than you should be". (Day one Karate class stuff)

Deescalate and leave the area, if its really wierd i would completely split, so a "return trip" encounter does not occur. sucks but its better to not find out somethings or test your luck.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Wow! Thanks for sharing this! Scary stuff! I usually travel armed, but in a shoot out I don’t think anyone wins. So sad! And that poor teenager? Hope justice is served and he’s found safe!

Fonzilla85

First Name
Alfonso
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Law Enforcement
What a darn shame, hopefully details will be out at some point. Let this serve as a reminder to keep your head on a swivel and always listen to your gut, especially when it comes to danger.

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, 2009 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Our personal safety is our responsibility whether at home, walking down the street, or wheeling/camping in the middle of no where. Be aware always, you never know when someone is going to decide you're on their menu.

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Because of the increased amounts of side-by-sides and to a lesser extent Jeep group(s) that trespass and trash places in the Daniel Boone National Forest, landowners who were previously ok with folks passing through are now taking stronger action against folks. From people leaving broken glass bottles in caves, to tearing up hill sides, to threatening the actual landowner, some have taken to going about their property armed (which is actually not uncommon in KY in general, a glorious thing) and from what I hear the locals tell me there have been a few conflicts, but no shooting, yet. This is why it is so important to police ourselves and other off-roaders.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
There is a gofundme for the family. I do not know them. Please help if you can
From the gofundme page, the Jeeper was an Internal Medicine Physician, his wife is currently battling cancer and he was out with one of his sons in Lake Tahoe, enjoying the scenic outdoors in his new Wrangler.

Such a waste of life and talent. And the kid nor the family will ever be the same.
Sad stuff. Here in Texas we can carry in our vehicles as an extension of our homes, which I do.
Good. Simply carrying is not enough. Being proficient with the deadly weapon requires training. Also does knowing the circumstances of when deadly force is authorized, how to draw and holster, how to conceal carry, fire correctly and how to think under duress when faced with a situation in which deadly force is authorized and needed.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Gun ranges are great to introduce the mechanics of shooting whereby people can learn grip, posture, firearm handling, target shooting and all the other mechanics in a safe and controlled environment.

In the real world, those mechanics get applied in situations with more complex and stressful variables - especially the unknown. I hope the situation never arises for most, but if it ever does, then knowing how to operate a firearm defensively in the real world could mean the difference between life and death.

No IFS

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door / 2022 V8 JT Gladiator Mojave
Article said he was taking out his “New wrangler” Geez I wonder if it could be a possible member. If he's white and accidentally displayed an American flag on his jeep that could get you in trouble quick nowadays.

Last edited:
Dwayne Lane's Chrysler Jeep Dodge