Jeep Wranglers Piling up on Dealer Lots - Bloomberg

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Viper, 15' Hellcat Challenger, 18' SRT Durango, 13' SRT Charger
I wonder if part of the reason is the semi-bad leasing. It's great and all having mid to upper 60's in residuals but when the MF converts to 2-2.5% APY get turned off by the payments. The Sport S leases before the MF hike were great. I'm personally debating on not getting anything else when turning in my 300S Lease. I wanted to do a Sport S or Rubicon but if those MF's stay high I don't know.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FCA is pushing the JL for fleet sales went from 2% to 11% so that is where some inventory is.
Increasing fleet deliveries is helping artificially boost their reported sales numbers. It has no effect for retail units sitting on dealer lots.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
The 3 dealers within 10 miles of my house all have at least 50 or 60 sitting on the lot. But as mentioned when I look at the packages and options chosen I shake my head. If dealerships were more proactive reading these forums I think they would get a much better idea of what people want.
And what configurations are those? Not sure there is consensus even here?

For me, I wanted a fully loaded JLUR. I just about got what I wanted, but it was missing a headliner. Instead it had the Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Kinda a weird config if you ask me. Also strange, and completely UNWANTED was the "upgraded" Rubicon wheels, that in my opinion look was worse than the cheaper version. Clearly this was the dealer making me pay a premium for an otherwise fully loaded config...

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8

Sponsored

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I'll ask you the same question. What are the model configs dealers should be ordering? Be specific if possible. Thanks!
I am guessing dealers ordered 4-cylinders. Not sure if the factory incentivizes that, but it seems most people get the V6, Sport, Sport S, 4dr - auto. Hard to see that many Moab or Sahara sales, but I have no idea of the actual statistics per model.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
SUVs Are Hotter Than Ever, But Jeep May Be Building Too Many Wranglers

Perhaps if dealers started ordering model configurations that people actually want they wouldn't have this issue :)

I have a feeling warmer weather will take care of the inventory problem.
I think this a
SUVs Are Hotter Than Ever, But Jeep May Be Building Too Many Wranglers

Perhaps if dealers started ordering model configurations that people actually want they wouldn't have this issue :)

I have a feeling warmer weather will take care of the inventory problem.
I think in their rush to find a click-bait story, the author misses what is going on: FCA was really late with a bunch of the 2018 deliveries (probably becuase they took their foot off the gas to fix weld issues, etc) and so all the dealers got a ton of 2018s late in the year right before the 2019s are coming out. No way to move that many units late in the model year with the orders for the next model year opening in October. Add to that the stupid configurations some dealers order and you've got yourselves the making of some good deals on 2018s. Not sure you can leap from there to cooling demand or Jeep making too many Jeeps. I think it is just dealers getting screwed by FCA. But good for the consumers who are long term buyers and don't mind buying one extra year of depreciation in a bargain deal.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I agree that many dealers have excessively optioned JL's (they make more profit on them) which just turns off so many buyers. A base sahara or rubicon are well equipped and sticker in the low 40s yet most saharas and rubicons are loaded with options pushing them well into the 50's. when I bought my sahara for 39k a sport S that was parked next to it stickered within a few hundred dollars of the sahara due to the excessive options.

I really think that if a dealer ordered a good percentage of JLs with no options other than maybe different trans and hardtop if in the north they would sell much better both for those jeeps as well as the higher sticker priced wranglers (lower sticker price at least gets people in the door).

another bigger problem is that a lot of the JLs around are now coming in with 4 cyl turbos and although they have more torque and better EPA ratings (not sure about real world), it is new technology and most loyal wrangler buyers like to stick to the basics. big surprise that there are almost no 6 cylinders available when I look in my area on jeep.com but tons of 4 cyliners.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I am guessing dealers ordered 4-cylinders. Not sure if the factory incentivizes that, but it seems most people get the V6, Sport, Sport S, 4dr - auto. Hard to see that many Moab or Sahara sales, but I have no idea of the actual statistics per model.
I see more Saharas around town than other Models. Rubicons a close second.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
A lot of potential buyers are turned off by the issues the 2018/19 have been having. I’m one of them, I canceled my order and I’m holding onto my JKU which drives amazing. I’m waiting for the steering issues to be corrected before buying again. And for all the 2018’s sitting on the lot...that’s a tough sale considering rebates and discounts are hand in hand with 2019’s

Sponsored

chuckmcleod

First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2015 JKU, 2007 JKR & 1998 TJ
Occupation
USAF
Who knows if this is true, but I did just factory order a 2019 as a replacement for my 2018, and there wasn't a single 2 door manual within 2500 miles of me. I did a search in NY, and CAL and same thing, maybe 1 or 2 max within 2500 miles.

Moral of this story, maybe building a few more 2 doors, and less 4 doors. Who knows, those 4 doors are sure popular, but I love my 2 door manuals over anything else.
There is a 2 door manual transmission Black Rubicon in Prattville Alabama. Has the steel bumper group and the alpine system. I know because I ordered it and then realized that it wasn’t coming with the tow group or 8.4” audio upgrade so I ordered another one.

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ducati 900ss
Occupation
Professional MacGyver
A lot of potential buyers are turned off by the issues the 2018/19 have been having. I’m one of them, I canceled my order and I’m holding onto my JKU which drives amazing. I’m waiting for the steering issues to be corrected before buying again. And for all the 2018’s sitting on the lot...that’s a tough sale considering rebates and discounts are hand in hand with 2019’s
Same here. The problems are a concern (for me). The local dealers are still not willing to deal anywhere close to 5% off invoice, which looking at the deals many have gotten here - appears to be a gift to the dealer.

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
The 3 dealers within 10 miles of my house all have at least 50 or 60 sitting on the lot. But as mentioned when I look at the packages and options chosen I shake my head. If dealerships were more proactive reading these forums I think they would get a much better idea of what people want.

So true!

The one feature I wont do w/o is the tow package and it seems like such a no brainer to me for the $ I just dont understand why they are so hard to find on lot buys.
Sponsored