Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude Height

jgriffs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Does anyone know if BFG KO's will fit on the 20" high altitude wheels on the new Wrangler 4XE?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Of course they will fit. There are many different sizes of BFGs.

DHahn

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sahara 2.0T Mojito Green
For reference, here’s my Sahara with a Mopar 2” lift (I netted 3” in lift), 35” General ATs on 17” Quadratec wheels. Just got the wheels and tires this afternoon.
2514AAAB-040A-4B06-A9B7-96AD11F7BF2E.jpeg
This is a timely thread, I'm looking to do basically the same as you did and I jumped on to see if I could find out how much actual height the 2" lift would add, I'm going 275/70/18 to keep the factory wheels. My last jeep (97 wrangler) had a 4" with 35" tires. I'm guessing this will be a touch shorter (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that) and that would be perfect.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is a timely thread, I'm looking to do basically the same as you did and I jumped on to see if I could find out how much actual height the 2" lift would add, I'm going 275/70/18 to keep the factory wheels. My last jeep (97 wrangler) had a 4" with 35" tires. I'm guessing this will be a touch shorter (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that) and that would be perfect.
Welcome to the forum!

I netted 4 inches in front and 3 inches in back with the Mopar 2” lift.

Here is my Jeep with 275/70R18 --i.e., 33.2 inches-- tires, before and after the lift. As you can see, it needed bigger tires.

Before
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude Height 20191118_122225_resized

After
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude Height Jeep lift 1

If I were to retain the factory wheels, I'd go with 285/75R18 tires. That is a 35x 11 tire.

This is what 285/7518 tires look like.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude Height 1613403780881

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored

DHahn

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I netted 4 inches in front and 3 inches in back.

Here is my Jeep with the Mopar lift and 275/70R18 --i.e., 33.2 inches-- before and after the lift. As you can see, it needed bigger tires.

View attachment 423861

If I were to retain the factory wheels, I'd go with 285/75R18 tires. That is a 35x 11 tire.

Good luck!
Interesting. I think it looks good in pics but agree the larger tires look good, I was hoping to stick with the factory wheels, I like them better than some of the aftermarket and I don't plan to do much "real" off roading but we'll see. That's also a lot of tire for the factory wheels isn't it?

I only want to do this once and it's not currently my daily driver, though that will likely change in the near future, but I don't want to gain a ton of height so I'm trying to plan ahead.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I think it looks good in pics but agree the larger tires look good, I was hoping to stick with the factory wheels, I like them better than some of the aftermarket and I don't plan to do much "real" off roading but we'll see. That's also a lot of tire for the factory wheels isn't it?

I only want to do this once and it's not currently my daily driver, though that will likely change in the near future, but I don't want to gain a ton of height so I'm trying to plan ahead.
285-wide tires will fit the 7.5“ OE wheels without a problem. It is within the recommended rim width range —7.5” to 9.5”— for tires of that width.

I seriously considered going down that path; I really like the factory Sahara wheels, and I prefer the look of a taller, narrower tire on a Jeep.

Two things held me back:
  1. 285/75R18 tire sizes are quite a bit more expensive than a regular 35” tire for 17” rims. But that can be easily justified by not having to buy new rims.
  2. There’s a limited selection of tires in this size. Having said that, there are three well-rated ATs available: Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Goodyear Duratrac and Cooper Discoverer AT3

I am happy with the retro wheels and 35” tires I got. But a part of me still wishes I had kept the factory wheels and gone with narrower tires.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Question @DHahn:

Do you have a rear D44? If you have a rear LSD or Selec-Trac, you do.

You may want the beefier D44 axle to comfortably drive around on 35s.

DHahn

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question @DHahn:

Do you have a rear D44? If you have a rear LSD or Selec-Trac, you do.

You may want the beefier D44 axle to comfortably drive around on 35s.
Honestly I don't know,it's a stock Sahara with the 2.0T w/Etorque. I should probably check that. I just looked it up, it's a Dana M200, so no D44. I'm having the dealership do it so that I don't have to think twice about warranty, I'm still just under 7000 miles, and I want to be sure I don't cost myself later. If I don't have the D44, do you think it will still hold up under normal driving conditions? I'll admit it's not something I thought about at all so I thank you for bringing up the question.

To your other post, I have the Duratracs on my work truck (3/4 Ford Diesel) and love them so I was planning to go with those or the cooper STT Pro that I had on my other Jeep. I didn't check their pricing on the Coopers but they quoted me $200/tire on the Duratracs, and that's cheaper than I've found on Tire Rack so I think I'm good with that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I don't know,it's a stock Sahara with the 2.0T w/Etorque. I should probably check that. I just looked it up, it's a Dana M200, so no D44. I'm having the dealership do it so that I don't have to think twice about warranty, I'm still just under 7000 miles, and I want to be sure I don't cost myself later. If I don't have the D44, do you think it will still hold up under normal driving conditions? I'll admit it's not something I thought about at all so I thank you for bringing up the question.

To your other post, I have the Duratracs on my work truck (3/4 Ford Diesel) and love them so I was planning to go with those or the cooper STT Pro that I had on my other Jeep. I didn't check their pricing on the Coopers but they quoted me $200/tire on the Duratracs, and that's cheaper than I've found on Tire Rack so I think I'm good with that.
I believe there are several JL owners running 35s on non-D44 axles. I haven't really seen any posts of people breaking axles, so they must be holding up.

One other thing: a narrower tire --i.e., a 11 vs a 12.5 inch tire-- should put less stress on the axle due to (1) the narrower contact patch and (2) just overall lighter weight of the tire.

DHahn

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe there are several JL owners running 35s on non-D44 axles. I haven't really seen any posts of people breaking axles, so they must be holding up.

One other thing: a narrower tire --i.e., a 11 vs a 12.5 inch tire-- should put less stress on the axle due to (1) the narrower contact patch and (2) just overall lighter weight of the tire.
Thank you for all of the info, it is very helpful and gives me a much better idea of what I need to know before I finalize any of this.
Sponsored