First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Note that this thread is not about complaining about MPG or anything like that so please cool it with the "get a prius!" comments.

I'm very curious about how sticker rated MPG numbers for our JLs are calculated, it seems like MPG is only rated by engine & number of doors instead of by trim.

For example, the 3.6 JLU sport and the 3.6 JLU Rubicon has the same MPG rating. The same is true for the 2.0 JLUS and 2.0 JLUR. However based on data on the forums, the Rubicons has much worse real world MPG (roughly about 3-5 mpg worse) than the sport. This is expected since the Rubicons are heavier, have more draggy tires and different axle ratios.

This gap between sticker and real world MPG is exacerbated further when we see the new XR packages, which also *gasp* has the same sticker MPG ratings as the base models despite of its 35 inch tires.

How are they able to generalize the sticker numbers from the base model to the other models when other car manufacturers can't seem to be able to use the same trick? For example, the new ford broncos have separate MPG ratings for the badlands (18/17) vs the base models (20/22). The bigger 35 inch tire Sasquatch package also gets its own MPG ratings (18/18). How is jeep able to pull this off when other manufactures like ford can't?
Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I can only speak for me... and i dont think worrying about mpg and owning a jeep will ever go hand in hand. I get 10mpg. Maybe jeep just knows we dont expect much in the way of mpg. I dont think ive ever read that part of the sticker. But curious question just the same.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The EPA can't conduct the MPG testing of all vehicles. That is left to manufacturers with the EPA only doing spot checks. On top of that, the EPA MPG tests that manufacturers conduct are also rather "perfect world" tests.

To the EPA, "Highway" driving is a constant 55 MPH on flat road, with no wind, excluding acceleration to that speed. As we all know, almost nobody drives like that. The JL has a huge difference between light & lead foot MPG while the "garden shed on wheels" has very different MPG for 55 MPH and 85 MPH.

So bottom line is the sticker MPG is a largely unattainable number for most vehicles over the long term. Especially the JL which is heavily impacted by spirited driving and wind.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The EPA can't conduct the MPG testing of all vehicles. That is left to manufacturers with the EPA only doing spot checks. On top of that, the EPA MPG tests that manufacturers conduct are also rather "perfect world" tests.

To the EPA, "Highway" driving is a constant 55 MPH on flat road, with no wind, excluding acceleration to that speed. As we all know, almost nobody drives like that. The JL has a huge difference between light & lead foot MPG while the "garden shed on wheels" has very different MPG for 55 MPH and 85 MPH.

So bottom line is the sticker MPG is a largely unattainable number for most vehicles over the long term. Especially the JL which is heavily impacted by spirited driving and wind.
That's the ticket. Usually the manufacturer takes the base trim of a vehicle line, tests it, and sends it to the EPA. It has absolutely nothing to do with real world numbers. However I will say that my stock Sahara with th 3.6L will do as good as 25 mpgs on a perfect day. I say perfect day as everyone knows, as @Reinen says, it;s a "Garden Shed" on wheels, and a little head wind will eat up those mpgs. :)

i.e. We were cruising along I-94 heading west, minding our own business getting like 24.5 mpgs. Then came some nasty cross winds. That was an adventure in itself, with a stupid crazy loss of mpgs. "Garden Shed" on wheels, I love it Reinen..........Imma gonna steal that one.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
However I will say that my stock Sahara with th 3.6L will do as good as 25 mpgs on a perfect day.
Tail winds are awesome, aren't they? :like:

"Garden Shed" on wheels, I love it Reinen..........Imma gonna steal that one.
Go right ahead, I stole that one too. Hit's it right on the head.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I can only speak for me... and i dont think worrying about mpg and owning a jeep will ever go hand in hand. I get 10mpg. Maybe jeep just knows we dont expect much in the way of mpg. I dont think ive ever read that part of the sticker. But curious question just the same.
Gawd, and I thought getting 14 MPG was bad!

How the hell do you get 10 MPG? Are you mashing the gas as you polish your nails...?

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Gawd, and I thought getting 14 MPG was bad!

How the hell do you get 10 MPG? Are you mashing the gas as you polish your nails...?
Putting on lip gloss... i really enjoy driving, lol. Its the engine thats all.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So bottom line is the sticker MPG is a largely unattainable number for most vehicles over the long term.
We've the window stickers for my wife's CR-V and my JLU. In both instances, we're regularly exceeding the EPA estimates for City and Highway fuel efficiency.

The EPA says 33 Highway for the Honda; her record is 40.
They say 24 for my 2.0T, and I'm... ;)

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
We've the window stickers for my wife's CR-V and my JLU. In both instances, we're regularly exceeding the EPA estimates for City and Highway fuel efficiency.

EPA numbers seems to be pretty conservative in my experience. My Kia is supposed to be rated for 31 on the highway and I get mid-30s in mixed driving without any regard for mpg. I've never bothered to verify it but the trip computer indicates like 40-50 mpg on easy highway cruising.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yeah, I saw that. I still don't believe you. :)
Maybe all downhill with a tail wind...

Sponsored

Fatalis12B

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 6sp MT JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Out of curiosity...the other day I had a round trip to Houston (175 miles round trip). It involved low rolling hills, various highway speeds ranging from 60 - 75 mph and downtown highway traffic on I-45. Using the DIC I averaged 23.9 mpg down and 23.4 coming back...almost spot on to the EPA estimate of 23 mpg on the window sticker. Didn't do a hand calc. 2021 JLUR

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
This is sooooooooo true lol. I think my YJ gets like 8MPG, as jeep owners its best to not look at those numbers as we all know they're not even close.
Sponsored