Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Because if you're skilled, very little bashing takes place and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
2C759BE3-4796-4D79-8A62-AF99488E03E8.jpeg
“If parts ain’t breaking, you ain’t trying...”
Sponsored

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
What about for the full sized trucks? Raptor, Tremor, F-450 FX4, or Power Wagon?
I agree that a jeep JL is tough to beat for a trail machine, As for full size trucks I think it depends if you want a 1/2 ton running gear on a light, Fast truck (Raptor) or 3/4 ton with a very stout running gear (Power Wagon).
I decided on the Power Wagon for this reason, Its like a M1 Abram tank but surprisingly very capable and a great road trip machine.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
IMHO, in a pound for pound, apples to apples, right off the shelf comparison, the Rubicon is the most capable off road vehicle on the planet, so for me, there is no comparison. This is how I feel about it. ...............but just remember your asking this question on a Jeep jl wrangler forum, so I couldn’t give a different opinion even if I wanted to, they’d come for me with pitch forks and flame throwers............just sayin......:rock:
Look @ Roky’s avatar pic. You can’t keep the headlights level like that when the rest of the tires are situated like that with anything you named except for a wrangler. depends depends depends - if you really really want to rock crawl like real rocks the wrangler. Easy to moderate rocks most of what you said could work.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hey,
I'm thinking about buying a 2 door Wrangler Rubicon for off-roading. However, as I was doing my research I learned that there is now a rather large segment of off road pickup trucks with the leading ones being the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison and Toyota Tacoma TDR Pro for midsized, the Ford Raptor for half ton, and the Ram Power Wagon; Ford Tremor; and GMC AT4 for HD pickups. I'm thinking about doing some rock crawling, going through deep mud holes, river crossings, going up steep slippery inclines, snowy roads, and perhaps some sand but not high speed.
So this brings me to my 2 questions: 1) if high speed and towing/payload are not important to me do any of these pickups match the Wrangler Rubicon for this type of off-roading or is the Wrangler Rubicon in a class of its own? And 2) which of these trucks would be the most capable for my applications and which would probably be the least capable and how would the others fall in between?
Jeep JT is what you seek

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I keep seeing so many posts about the Gladiator being so expensive. Really, have you looked at the MSRP of any new Jeep currently. A similarly equipped JT will cost you about $300 more than the same JL. Rubicon to Rubicon or Sport to Sport, the Gladiator doesn't really cost more, you are just paying for the Jeep name. Jeep makes the highest margins on the Wrangler platforms because YOU are willing to shell out that 60K for a Rubicon.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I keep seeing so many posts about the Gladiator being so expensive. Really, have you looked at the MSRP of any new Jeep currently. A similarly equipped JT will cost you about $300 more than the same JL. Rubicon to Rubicon or Sport to Sport, the Gladiator doesn't really cost more, you are just paying for the Jeep name. Jeep makes the highest margins on the Wrangler platforms because YOU are willing to shell out that 60K for a Rubicon.
Yeah but anyone who pays MSRP is a fool.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I don’t have any, ass in the seat , experience in the smaller trucks. But there seems to be quite a bit chatter about the Bison. Toyota has always been a front runner imo. But it really depends on how you see yourself wheeling, weather or not you want to be limited on certain trails or obstacles. If those trucks don’t have true locking diffs, 4.10 gears, and a 4:1 transfer case, then there are places you just won’t be able to go....
I have 4.56s, lockers, 33”s and 4 speed auto and there’s almost nowhere I can’t go in my 94 ranger. The ZR2 with the 3.31 has a better crawl ratio than my 4.56s just because it has twice as many gears. That 4:1 transfer case is super helpful for going downhill but outside of very slow rock crawling it’s not necessary and may actually be less desirable in certain situations.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Hey,
I'm thinking about buying a 2 door Wrangler Rubicon for off-roading. However, as I was doing my research I learned that there is now a rather large segment of off road pickup trucks with the leading ones being the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison and Toyota Tacoma TDR Pro for midsized, the Ford Raptor for half ton, and the Ram Power Wagon; Ford Tremor; and GMC AT4 for HD pickups. I'm thinking about doing some rock crawling, going through deep mud holes, river crossings, going up steep slippery inclines, snowy roads, and perhaps some sand but not high speed.
So this brings me to my 2 questions: 1) if high speed and towing/payload are not important to me do any of these pickups match the Wrangler Rubicon for this type of off-roading or is the Wrangler Rubicon in a class of its own? And 2) which of these trucks would be the most capable for my applications and which would probably be the least capable and how would the others fall in between?
There’s less of an aftermarket for the 2 door rubicon compared to the 4 door but the 4 door also has a worse break over angle than the ZR2z

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Yeah but anyone who pays MSRP is a fool.
It was the easiest example, of course no one pays MSRP. Let me take that back, when the JL and the JT came out, dealers were charging $10,000 more or less above MSRP and idiots were paying it to be the 1st to have one. Otherwise, with all the variables between dealers and the ability or lack of it to negotiate by buyers make it impossible to give examples of cost. Having said that you should look at paying no less than 10% under invoice, shoot for 15% or better. And don't get suckered into paying Doc fees, they are all profit for dealers. I have NEVER paid a Doc fee. Make your best offer then refuse to pay the Doc fee, walk out, they'll come after you if they want to have you as a customer. I also don't pay any of the inflated costs for tinted windows, paint/fabric protector or LoJack. Like the Doc fees, refuse to pay them after you make your best deal and don't trust the salesman to give you their best deal on the 1st or 2nd offer either. Play the game, save thousands or not and make it easier for the rest of us to save the thousands you gave up.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4.56s, lockers, 33”s and 4 speed auto and there’s almost nowhere I can’t go in my 94 ranger. The ZR2 with the 3.31 has a better crawl ratio than my 4.56s just because it has twice as many gears. That 4:1 transfer case is super helpful for going downhill but outside of very slow rock crawling it’s not necessary and may actually be less desirable in certain situations.
That’ sounds like an awesome rig brother.....however, I’m talking to OP about off the lot vehicles and from the modern era...,.,,,anyway, hope y’all are doing well out there where you are.......

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'd love to hear about these certain situations where a lower crawl ratio is undesirable. If you think the 4:1 is only useful going downhill then you don't really understand how to wheel with finesse and control.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I'd love to hear about these certain situations where a lower crawl ratio is undesirable. If you think the 4:1 is only useful going downhill then you don't really understand how to wheel with finesse and control.
Mainly in dunes, with a 4:1 4 low may be too low and 4 high may make it a little difficult to get moving especially with a manual. They wouldn’t make 3 speed transfer cases if you always needed the lowest 4 low, having a range from to 2.7:1 thru 10.8:1 gives you the ability to have the perfect ratio for anything. All depends on where you’re going with the rig and whether you have an auto or a manual and let’s face it in 99% of situations the auto is better.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Mainly in dunes, with a 4:1 4 low may be too low and 4 high may make it a little difficult to get moving especially with a manual. They wouldn’t make 3 speed transfer cases if you always needed the lowest 4 low, having a range from to 2.7:1 thru 10.8:1 gives you the ability to have the perfect ratio for anything. All depends on where you’re going with the rig and whether you have an auto or a manual and let’s face it in 99% of situations the auto is better.
You mean the auto is easier. So there may be 1 single type of terrain where lower isn't better. The manual transmission pretty much negates that as well.
Sponsored