Jeep Wrangler Rubicon hard way EU

Joyride

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, BMW M5, BMW X6, Nisaan Patrol
So, as a Jeep fan I'm not lucky enogh to be US resident.

Official sales of new JL started couple off weeks ago in my small, proud country Latvia:)

I couldn't wait and ordered one from Germany dealer October 2018. 58K Euros +3K transportation =69K USD

Then you put webasto heater in it - 2,5k USD. Then you have check engine light on because there are no right JL - Webasto connection modules in EU available and webasto guys using some sort of self adapted from Grand Cherokee. 3 visits to official dealer approx 500 USD

Then you obviously need normal metal bumper as on real US Rubicons instead of that silly plastic piece. Quadratec + transport +customs+ 2K USD (winch plate included)
Warn Zeon 12S - bought localy - 2,5 K USD. You think metal bumper and warn is bolt on - F***K! You spend whole day adjusting it. At the end of the day you trim lower part of warns clutch engangment knob to clear warns metal bumper. 500USD

Then you have front parking beeping almoust non stop. Some think it is of metal bumper efect with OEM parking sensors... you just switch Parking Sense off.

Then you have rear view camera turning your screen all blue one in ten times you use it. You can't do anything. Restarting car doesn't help. It goes away after standstil for an hour or so...no solution yet

You read JLforums - 35s doesn't rub on stock. So you put new 35x12,5x17 BF Goodrich on stock rims. 1500 USD. F**K! It's rubbing on full lock. Obviosly you need lift to see have it goes. You look online - there are 2 inch Mopar lifts offered both for 2.0 and 3.6 models. I have 2.2 diesel. You write e-mail to Mopar customer service which one could be more appropriate for my car - no answer. It's too complex issue I guess.

Changing wheel you notice braking lines hanging down in great loops which look quite funny for offroad legend. So you spend 1000USD in workshop to re- run them more or less logic way.

So after 80K USD you have your dream Rubicon rubing tires on full turn, beeping ParkSense, ocassionaly working rearview

AND THE ONLY CAR IN AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY WITH SOLID FRONT AXLE AND RUBBER CV JOINT SHOES/COVERS!!!!

I couldn't imagine this is possible...Somebody in the Jeep designing office should go offroud ocasionally before taking decisions on rubicon!!! So , another 3K for aftermarket front axles from RCV !! F**K!!!
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Don’t understand what you are complaining about. It is money you are willing to spend for whatever pleasure it serves you. If you are willing to pay for it, it must have provided enough value for you to justify the cost. like everything else we pay for.

Euro Rubis have both the selec-trac and rock-trac which we North Americans would only dream of getting, and be glad that CV joint is better than U-joint anyways.

Last edited:

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Why do you need an aux heater in a new Jeep? An aircooled VW I can see, but a JL???

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Why do you need an aux heater in a new Jeep? An aircooled VW I can see, but a JL???
Most people don’t need any of the things he listed but just to look “badass”.

Heck most of them just jack up their high lifts, slap on their spare jimmy cans and flash their lights just so they can impress the soccer moms parked right next to their Walmart parking lot. But alas they got priorities and don’t actually care about any of that crap.

Last edited:

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Most people don’t need any of the things he listed but just to look “badass”.

Heck most of them just jack up their high lifts, slap on their spare jimmy cans and flash their lights just so they can impress the soccer moms parked right next to their Walmart parking lot. But alas they don’t actually care about any of that crap.
Yeah later they will send their dick pics to that-said soccer mom, but accidentally seen by her kids. Now he is in county jail and anal fucked by inmates.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
On the other side, you can buy a new Land Cruiser 70 series in most European countries. Maybe, it could be a better choice for you.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
When you mentioned buying it in Germany, I thought you went for one of the Imported US Jeep Rubicons from Canada (steel bumpers, large high fenders,...)?
Trying to stay positive for you: if you would have lived in Sweden, you still would have paid much more for just the stock vehicle.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
On the other side, you can buy a new Land Cruiser 70 series in most European countries.
Ha! I wish man. They have not sold that here in years. It is sorta-kinda possible to import a used one, but not new. (Like 2010 ish) They are only sold in African and Australia and speced out for mine service.
I would have loved to buy one, but no chance. They don't come even remotely close to meeting the emissions standard with the i-5 diesel. Maybe in like Bulgaria you could get it registered, but all said and done, you are looking at Mercedes G-350 Professional money. In which case.. just buy that since it has the old school off road setup but with lux features. Not to mention, it would be possible to get it serviced.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
So, as a Jeep fan I'm not lucky enogh to be US resident.

Official sales of new JL started couple off weeks ago in my small, proud country Latvia:)

I couldn't wait and ordered one from Germany dealer October 2018. 58K Euros +3K transportation =69K USD

Then you put webasto heater in it - 2,5k USD. Then you have check engine light on because there are no right JL - Webasto connection modules in EU available and webasto guys using some sort of self adapted from Grand Cherokee. 3 visits to official dealer approx 500 USD

Then you obviously need normal metal bumper as on real US Rubicons instead of that silly plastic piece. Quadratec + transport +customs+ 2K USD (winch plate included)
Warn Zeon 12S - bought localy - 2,5 K USD. You think metal bumper and warn is bolt on - F***K! You spend whole day adjusting it. At the end of the day you trim lower part of warns clutch engangment knob to clear warns metal bumper. 500USD

Then you have front parking beeping almoust non stop. Some think it is of metal bumper efect with OEM parking sensors... you just switch Parking Sense off.

Then you have rear view camera turning your screen all blue one in ten times you use it. You can't do anything. Restarting car doesn't help. It goes away after standstil for an hour or so...no solution yet

You read JLforums - 35s doesn't rub on stock. So you put new 35x12,5x17 BF Goodrich on stock rims. 1500 USD. F**K! It's rubbing on full lock. Obviosly you need lift to see have it goes. You look online - there are 2 inch Mopar lifts offered both for 2.0 and 3.6 models. I have 2.2 diesel. You write e-mail to Mopar customer service which one could be more appropriate for my car - no answer. It's too complex issue I guess.

Changing wheel you notice braking lines hanging down in great loops which look quite funny for offroad legend. So you spend 1000USD in workshop to re- run them more or less logic way.

So after 80K USD you have your dream Rubicon rubing tires on full turn, beeping ParkSense, ocassionaly working rearview

AND THE ONLY CAR IN AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY WITH SOLID FRONT AXLE AND RUBBER CV JOINT SHOES/COVERS!!!!

I couldn't imagine this is possible...Somebody in the Jeep designing office should go offroud ocasionally before taking decisions on rubicon!!! So , another 3K for aftermarket front axles from RCV !! F**K!!!
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you really need all that stuff? I mean.. you can order steel bumpers from Italy that accept a winch. Likely the 3.6L lift would be better than the 2.0 lift. It could just be down to different spring rates to account for the additional weight of the motor. After all, the suspension is the same other than that. Perhaps some re-location bracket here or there.

I also don't get the issue with the CV joints. People pay a crap ton of money on aftermarket CV joints in the US to upgrade their D44s. You already have them! Smoother operation and less chance of snapping something relative to the stock ujoints.
More expensive, but easy to replace.
What else should the boots be made out of than rubber? It needs to flexible.

You could also just buy a set of US fenders. Those are higher. This would solve the lift issue. I am not sure if the 35 inch tires would be narrow enough though to get registered. I guess you could have the old ones on and get the inspection, then just swap.
That would certainly be illegal, but still possible.

Though, it seems that you also want to add a lot of extra weight. I would imagine even on a US spec Rubi you will rub with the extra weight in front on full lock.

It sort of sounds that you had some high expectations but may not have looked into the situation too much before pulling the trigger. It sucks, but sometimes that just how it goes.
I have the Rubicon as well and I have to say that I am glad to have the full time 4wd option. Likely there are plenty of folks in the US who would not mind it.
Likely they may also not mind having the front parksense system as standard either.
Either way, good luck with your Jeep. Take a bit of time to cool down and after a couple weeks it will all be old news and you can just enjoy the jeep.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha! I wish man. They have not sold that here in years. It is sorta-kinda possible to import a used one, but not new. (Like 2010 ish) They are only sold in African and Australia and speced out for mine service.
I would have loved to buy one, but no chance. They don't come even remotely close to meeting the emissions standard with the i-5 diesel. Maybe in like Bulgaria you could get it registered, but all said and done, you are looking at Mercedes G-350 Professional money. In which case.. just buy that since it has the old school off road setup but with lux features. Not to mention, it would be possible to get it serviced.
It should be doable. Although I live now in the USA, I am originally from the Czech Republic. There is a delaer which imports new LC 70 series from other countries and sell them in the Czech Republic. See here:
https://www.dajbych.cz/toyota/land-cruiser-rada-70
I personally know many people who have LC 70 from this dealer. And if it can be registered in one EU country, it should be possible to register it in other EU countries. Unfortunately, no way to get it into the USA.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
It should be doable. Although I live now in the USA, I am originally from the Czech Republic. There is a delaer which imports new LC 70 series from other countries and sell them in the Czech Republic. See here:
https://www.dajbych.cz/toyota/land-cruiser-rada-70
I personally know many people who have LC 70 from this dealer. And if it can be registered in one EU country, it should be possible to register it in other EU countries. Unfortunately, no way to get it into the USA.
It could be that the CR is a bit more relaxed. Anything from 2015 on needs to meet Euro6 emissions to be registered in the EU. There is no chance that TÜV would allow you to register unless you could prove it.
I am not sure why Totota doesn't sell them in the states. I assume it's down to safety and emissions though. Pretty sure a lot of folks would be buy one if they did.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the dealer website, it says "spolehlivé atmosférické motory splƈující normu Euro 6" which means "reliable atmospehic engines meet Euro 6". It looks that they sell them with 4.0 VVT-i V6 gas which meet Euro 6.
Sponsored