Sponsored

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Mine is quiet. What year is yours?
2023. Every JL I've seen has an obnoxious power steering whine. Can't hear it while driving, but if you've got the window rolled down in a drive-thru it's quite noticeable. Extra noticeable on a 4XE when there's no engine noise to muffle it.
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
My daughter's JL is in that range, but coming as zero recalls (so far) per NHTSA's website.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
"These recalled vehicles have an unnecessary fastener—known as a frame stud—that was erroneously installed during production. In a crash, this fastener might puncture the gas tank and cause a leak, which could lead to a fire."
I do not see the recall on my 2021 JLURD as of now.

Jeep Wrangler SUV Recalled for Fire Risk (msn.com)
No recall on the wife's '22 JLR (Built Jan/Feb of '22)

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The part number on the recall
There are multiple part numbers.

68495556AA / 68495556AB / 68438094AA / 68438094AB / 68438096AA / 68438096AB

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So my 2021 Rubicon doesn’t show any recalls yet. Have we figured out what trim and options likely are affected?
Well my '22 JLR doesn't show up, so yay :D
My daughter's JL is in that range, but coming as zero recalls (so far) per NHTSA's website.
No recall on the wife's '22 JLR (Built Jan/Feb of '22)
FCA US will notify dealers and begin notifying owners on or about 05/12/2023.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
FCA US will notify dealers and begin notifying owners on or about 05/12/2023.
Sure but shouldn't it show on the NHTSA website during the search? Dealer is usually the last to know to inform you.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sure but shouldn't it show on the NHTSA website during the search?
Not necessarily. I don't believe anything shows until Jeep/Stellantis begins notifying owners. Previous recall on my JL did not show until after I received my notice in the mail. Jeep/Stellantis has to provide the affected vehicle info to the NHSTA.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Received a note from NHTSA regarding the recall on my 2-Door JLR.
Will try to find that item frame. May be difficult due to the Artex aluminum skids.

Photos of skids for reference.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Recall For Fire Risk: 57,885 vehicles from 2020-2023 model years (unnecessary frame stud installed) IMG_9799
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Recall For Fire Risk: 57,885 vehicles from 2020-2023 model years (unnecessary frame stud installed) IMG_9730

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Received a note from NHTSA regarding the recall on my 2-Door JLR.
Just curious how you were notified when the recall states owners won't start getting notified until May? Would you mind posting a pic of said note?

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i don't see any mention of the word "gas" in the actual Recall Notice. (of course in typical MSN fashion they use the terms "gas" and "fuel" as if they were interchangeable in their article.)

even ignoring the fact that a diesel is less likely at risk of fire in a crash due to the characteristics of the fuel itself, fingers crossed that us Diesel owners don't have to worry about this problem because our fuel tanks are on the other side of the vehicle where they're not affected by this unidentified bonus stud. 😉

"These recalled vehicles have an unnecessary fastener—known as a frame stud—that was erroneously installed during production. In a crash, this fastener might puncture the gas tank and cause a leak, which could lead to a fire."

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
then mine is operating ABnormally? because i don't hear the power steering at all.
It should be clearly audible if you stick your head out the window when stopped and turn the wheel. You shouldn't be able to hear it while driving, and when sitting idle you're now sawing the wheel back and forth for no reason so even if you could hear it then the pump/motor would be idle and silent.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green

Jeep Wrangler SUV Recalled for Fire Risk

Vehicles recalled:
Jeep Wrangler SUVs manufactured between Oct. 16, 2019, and May 14, 2022.

The problem: An unnecessary frame stud was installed on certain vehicles during the production process. In a crash, this fastener could puncture the gas tank and cause a leak, which could lead to a fire.

The fix: Jeep dealerships will inspect vehicles to see whether there is an erroneously installed frame stud. If there is one, they will remove it and apply paint to the vehicle frame, free of charge.

How to contact the manufacturer: Owners may call Jeep at 800-853-1403.

NHTSA campaign number: 23V191. Jeep’s own number for this recall is 28A.

Check to see whether your vehicle has an open recall: NHTSA’s website will tell you whether your vehicle has any open recalls that need to be addressed.
Geez, with all of these recalls clogging up the service department at the dealership , one wonders if they have enough manpower to perform routine oil changes and state inspections.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Guys I think I found it
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Recall For Fire Risk: 57,885 vehicles from 2020-2023 model years (unnecessary frame stud installed) IMG_9730
All,

I had seen this exact same thing on a new 2023 Sahara when I went in to the dealership to purchase an oil filter for my 3.6L. As I was leaving, I strolled through the showroom just to drool over the newer offerings that I'd never be able to afford.

When seeing this, it had me scratching my head. Why would Jeep protrude a rock-finder well under the carraige frame. Looking around further, it was only this one particular Sahara that has this anomaly, at least on the units on the showroom floor. There were several Rubi's and 4xe's. I did not go out on the lot looking around any further.

Regardless however, I certainly left leaving thinking there is just no way I'm selling or trading in my 2019 now for this garbage.

Jay