Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck (JT) Spy Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously hope that the design of the bed is changed to one more like the Gladiator concept or what AEV currently does with their Brute conversions before this goes out to the showroom floor. Ram bed used for testing, that's fine... Sticking on some cookie cutter bed like everyone else is doing, please... just don't. If it goes to market with a cookie cutter bed then replacing it with something more rugged would be the 1st mod on my mind.
Sponsored

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm holding out as long as I possibly can for the JT over a JL or JLU simply for the fact that it may not have as long of a production run and want to increase the odds in my favor for getting one.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm holding out for the JT over a JL or JLU simply for the fact that it may not have as long of a production run and want to increase the odds in my favor for getting one.
Why do you think it will be hard to obtain one? I have no doubt it will be similar to walking into a dealership and getting a standard 4 door JK Rubicon. Easy. This isn't a Porsche GT car.

Additionally, the JT production cycle will run eight years based on it starting two years into the production cycle. And seeing how popular trucks are vs Jeeps... I think it's safe to say it will be easy to get one.

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My concern for the production run length and it even starting are based on a few factors. #1 and #2 are the JK8 Independence and Brute conversion packages that are available to turn any JKU into a truck. #3 and the one IMHO which makes #1 and #2 stand out so much is the relatively short 6 year production run that was done for the Comanche from 1986-1992 because it raises my concern for sales projections the execs are going to see prior to making the decision to put the JT on the assembly line. Factor #4 is with the introduction of the JL/JLU the used vehicle sales markets both private and dealer will see an abundance of JKU's due to folks trading in for a new one for various reasons such as age, mileage and just plain old having to have the newest thing on the market sitting in the driveway.

As quoted on wikipedia: The decision to phase out the Jeep Comanche "came from a combination of two factors— low sales and Chrysler's attempts to make the Jeep brand fit into the Chrysler hierarchy of Plymouth, Dodge, and Chrysler models" with Jeep housing SUVs and Dodge making trucks. Sourced from: Statham, Steve (2002). Jeep Color History. MBI Publishing. p. 71. ISBN 978-0-7603-0636-9. Retrieved 24 August 2012.

With the apparent direction the rest of the truck market seems to be going and a little bit of luck this won't be the case and Jeep will give them a longer run like the Gladiator and Honcho models had in the '60's through the 80's.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it makes you feel any better...

1) If the truck sales are low or average, it will be easy to get one since they won't be selling fast. Dealers are anticipating these things to sell, and will be stocking them. As such, if they don't sell, they will sit on lots.

2) If the truck sales are great, we will be seeing it the entire 8 year period.

The only thing I can think of hurting things would be the branding issue... i.e., if it did so well it eats heavily into RAM sales. I just don't think FCA will make it a full blown work truck though, so I'm not sure that's a valid concern of mine.

Sponsored

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Very true, if the sales numbers aren't up to expectations dealerships will be pushing harder to move the units they have in stock just like with any model that has larger production numbers than sales. As for cutting into RAM sales, in order to take that into consideration the big question is: What is the expected payload capacity of a JT? Are we looking at it being a quarter ton truck or a half ton truck?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure. But less than the 1500, and probably more than the Tacoma. I don't think this will be a work truck like the 1500. And it will probably be more money than the 1500 and the Tacoma as well. As such, I'm not sure if it's positioned to eat into the 1500 sales regardless of payload.

Thinking JT buyers would be people who:

1) Can't buy a Jeep because they can't afford a nice truck and a nice Jeep

2) Those who probably have a beat trail rig buy then spent their money on a nice truck.

3) In the market for a Jeep anyway, but enjoy trucks, or need the bed space/to lightly tow.

4) In the market for a truck, who don't really need to tow/haul a lot of stuff, but would enjoy 4 wheeling once in a while and like the Jeep brand.

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So at this point in time it basically looks like it would be taking over the slot that the Dakota held in the FCA lineup and marketed to that customer demographic. Count me somewhere between 3 & 4 as a prospective buyer.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just without a v8 and a single crew 5'7 bed option, yes.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Why do you think it will be hard to obtain one? I have no doubt it will be similar to walking into a dealership and getting a standard 4 door JK Rubicon. Easy.
I think initially the JT pickup will be harder to obtain than a JL and JLU. Its production will probably be ramped up so we won't see a ton of supply at all dealers. It'll be a first of its kind model so there's pent up demand for it. And dealers will try to capitalized on that with greedy pricing.

Sponsored

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Seriously hope that the design of the bed is changed to one more like the Gladiator concept or what AEV currently does with their Brute conversions before this goes out to the showroom floor. Ram bed used for testing, that's fine... Sticking on some cookie cutter bed like everyone else is doing, please... just don't. If it goes to market with a cookie cutter bed then replacing it with something more rugged would be the 1st mod on my mind.
That bed is so roughly attached I wouldn't put much stock in it other than that it was put on there for some very preliminary testing. I'd love to see the JT come looking just like the AEV Brute.

This bed attached to the front end of the JL revealed last week would do very nicely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck (JT) Spy Pics! {filename}

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Updated first post with the newest JT pickup spy pics, showing a production bed this time.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Something no one else mentioned, but the spy pics are showing its using a JL front end. I guess this means that it most likely wont have its own specific front end like the Crew Chief Concept:

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Yea a little disappointed. Isn't the JT and JL/JLU going to be built on different plants? I thought because of that we might get a unique JT front end but doesn't look like it's happening..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.