Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler Pickup (JT) production starts Sept. 2018. Will come in 2 and 4 door

Status
Not open for further replies.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
This article I found was just published a few days ago. Ignore the headline since it's referring to Australia, but it says that production of the pick up will start in September 2018 in the US, a little later than what I thought.

Edit: a separate recent article also reports that there'll be a 2 and 4 door pickup model! (http://www.caradvice.com.au/502821/...o-feature-australian-input-and-local-testing/)

Jeep Wrangler pick-up not until 2019

US off-road brand's first Wrangler ute still at least two years away from Australia

Weā€™ve written plenty about Jeepā€™s first Wrangler pick-up, the existence of which was first revealed in September 2015, before Fiat Chrysler Automobiles confirmed it for Australia in April.

At that stage it was confirmed to be based on next yearā€™s all-new Wrangler, which wonā€™t arrive Down Under until 2018, and available only in ā€˜lifestyleā€™ oriented four-door crew-cab form as early as late 2017.

Now Jeepā€™s global chief Mike Manley has revealed precise timing for the rollout of Jeepā€™s first ute, which remains more than two years away from Australian dealerships.

ā€œOne of our upcoming models will be very good for Australia and thatā€™s the Jeep pick-up,ā€ Manley told motoring.com.au at this weekā€™s Los Angeles motor show.

ā€œProduction of pick-up will be September 2018, so by the time that gets into international markets youā€™re probably looking at early [20]19.ā€

Although thereā€™s no certainty Jeepā€™s born-again Grand Wagoneer ā€“ Jeepā€™s new seven-seat luxury SUV flagship ā€“ will be produced in right-hand drive, Manley said there was no question about the Wrangler uteā€™s availability in Australia, which was a key consideration in its development.

ā€œThat one ā€“ since I became involved with Jeep in 2009-2010 ā€“ was something that I felt we should have and now weā€™re getting it. Thereā€™s no question on right-hand drive for the pick-up,ā€ said Manley.

http://www.motoring.com.au/jeep-wrangler-pick-up-not-until-2019-104660/
Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Thanks for posting. Surprised he was so specific on timing but good to know. Going to be a looong wait, I hope they reveal it well in advance.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Going to be a looong wait, I hope they reveal it well in advance.
This. 2019 is a long way away still for me. I was hoping to hold on to my JKU for only another year not another two.

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
They did say the JK was going to be produced a year after the JL. JL production is probably right around a year away.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
They did say the JK was going to be produced a year after the JL. JL production is probably right around a year away.
I just hope they reveal it sooner then later even if you have to wait till 2019 for it.

Limamikemike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
http://www.caradvice.com.au/502821/...o-feature-australian-input-and-local-testing/

This Australian article mentions that the "ute" which is what I believe the Aussies call their pickups says it will be available in two and four door versions. Also that they're testing the pick up down under as well. This bodes well that the truck may have some real capacities as far as payload and towing as the Aussies actually use the heck out of their little trucks.

I'm not sure what a "lifestyle" vehicle means though

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
This Australian article mentions that the "ute" which is what I believe the Aussies call their pickups says it will be available in two and four door versions. Also that they're testing the pick up down under as well. This bodes well that the truck may have some real capacities as far as payload and towing as the Aussies actually use the heck out of their little trucks.

I'm not sure what a "lifestyle" vehicle means though
Nice I hadn't picked up on the "single and dual cab" part. Surprised they're making both sizes to be honest but the more models the better the chance for success.

You guys think the bed length will be different for the 2 and 4 door models?

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Nice I hadn't picked up on the "single and dual cab" part. Surprised they're making both sizes to be honest but the more models the better the chance for success.

You guys think the bed length will be different for the 2 and 4 door models?
The Ram trucks have multiple bed length options so maybe they'll have multiple options for the Wrangler pickups too.

Sponsored

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
So it will be based on the JL and not Ram?could mean somewhat disappointing towing/payload but if so seems plausible it will mimic the JL/JLU wheelbase variants

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
So it will be based on the JL and not Ram?could mean somewhat disappointing towing/payload but if so seems plausible it will mimic the JL/JLU wheelbase variants
From what I've read it'll be based on the JL. And disappointing or not depends on your expectations.

The Ram trucks have multiple bed length options so maybe they'll have multiple options for the Wrangler pickups too.
That'd be really surprising to see. They keep calling it a lifestyle type car so it's not meant to compete with Ram trucks as pure utility pickups. Doubt then that they'll offer it in multiple bed lengths.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
I dunno I would expect a reasonable towing capacity comparable to Tacomas and the like. That's really who the JT will be judged against by the general public.

I've seen Tacomas towing 21' Cris Craft boats so take from that what we should be expecting. I'd expect it to have a 4000-5500lb towing capacity.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.