Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler pickup (JT) - payload and towing capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
JTman

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Good Evening Everyone,

I just wanted to chime in on this topic because I too am anxiously awaiting the JT(pickup) and I hope I'm not disappointed. Personally I'm hoping for a manual transmission with a diesel engine and minimal options (I know dreaming right). As much as it would be great to have a Wrangler that has a high towing capacity FCA is probably looking for the fine line of max towing without sacrificing off road ability (for reasons stated by previous posters).

Recently Mercedes announced they would be selling a truck but the MB rep said it well by stating something along the lines of " We are building a truck for Mercedes people not a Mercedes for Truck people". I imagine FCA operating within these guidelines since the wrangler defines jeep as brand they must make a Wrangler first and foremost.

Also FCA has been working hard at establishing brand identity with minimal overlap so think Dodge sporty high HP vehicles, Chrysler family cars, RAM trucks, Jeep off road capable SUVs. This is one reason that they stopped the namesake dodge caravan and would rather you go to the RAM lineup if you need a true truck.
Very good point. And Mercedes can err on the side of making their pickup a bit too "truck like" if they wanted to because they don't have to worry about stepping on the toes with a related truck brand like FCA has to worry about Jeep pickup overlapping with RAM trucks.

With all that said, the small / midsize truck market is about to explode with the new Honda Ridgeline, the Ford Ranger coming back etc. AND The trucks already in the segment, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon in certain configurations can tow 7000 lbs. It will be hard to tell what the Jeep will be capable of until we know the exact wheel base and overall dimensions but with a little luck hopefully will see a the JT as a real contender because there is money to be made if FCA designs it correctly.

A little long winded for my first post but I'm passionate about jeeps so please forgive me !
I hope for the sake of the car industry that this truck sales boom and proliferation of new models doesn't end up hurting them if/when gas prices go up. The recent low gas prices has definitely helped SUV, truck and Jeep sales.
Sponsored

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
From the original FCA announcement the diesel engine wont be available until around 2020. lets hope they move that timeline up but here is the reference this forum has posted: http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...clude-gasoline-diesel-mild-hybrid-full-hybrid

As far as the post regarding FCA using a RAM frame for the Jeep Truck IMO I, would think that they would just extend the unlimited frame probably with the help of AEV. they have the most experience making amazing jeep trucks , Brute, Brute extended cab and from what I remember jeep licensed the JK-8 conversion from them. This option would allow the front panels to be identical but I guess we will know soon enough.
My thoughts exactly. why not tap the aftermarket who have already been making pickup conversions for years.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
From the original FCA announcement the diesel engine wont be available until around 2020. lets hope they move that timeline up but here is the reference this forum has posted: http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...clude-gasoline-diesel-mild-hybrid-full-hybrid

As far as the post regarding FCA using a RAM frame for the Jeep Truck IMO I, would think that they would just extend the unlimited frame probably with the help of AEV. they have the most experience making amazing jeep trucks , Brute, Brute extended cab and from what I remember jeep licensed the JK-8 conversion from them. This option would allow the front panels to be identical but I guess we will know soon enough.
I love the AEV conversions and think this would be a good idea but has FCA ever enlisted AEV or another aftermarket builder for help on developing an official Jeep sold product?

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I don't think the Wrangler pickup needs to have some very high payload or towing #'s to sell well. Most of the people who buy it will be 'casual' or 'lifestyle' (yea I hate that term too) owners who'll daily drive the car and occasionally throw some mulch bags, fertilizer, garage equipment in the bed and on other occasions throw in whatever needed to take the car for camping or off road hooning. Nobody's going to buy a Jeep pickup for transporting cinderblocks or towing a huge boat when you have the bigger and tougher Ram lineup for that, so I really don't think it needs to match even the Ram 1500's numbers.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the Wrangler pickup needs to have some very high payload or towing #'s to sell well. Most of the people who buy it will be 'casual' or 'lifestyle' (yea I hate that term too) owners who'll daily drive the car and occasionally throw some mulch bags, fertilizer, garage equipment in the bed and on other occasions throw in whatever needed to take the car for camping or off road hooning. Nobody's going to buy a Jeep pickup for transporting cinderblocks or towing a huge boat when you have the bigger and tougher Ram lineup for that, so I really don't think it needs to match even the Ram 1500's numbers.
Yea I agree .... I just think it needs to be able to tow a set of jet skis / snomobiles / UTV, etc. I would be a bonus if it could tow another car on a car trailer too. I doubt though it will be set up for 3rd wheels, toy haulers, large boats, etc.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.