Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA Reports May 2019 U.S. Sales
  • Ram brand achieves 12th consecutive monthly record as May sales rise 29 percent
  • Jeep® Grand Cherokee notches best May ever as sales rise 18 percent
  • Dodge Charger reports highest May in six years as sales reach 9,296 vehicles
June 3, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC achieved three records in May, led by the Ram brand which notched its 12th consecutive monthly sales record as demand for both light-duty and heavy-duty pickup trucks remained strong.

It was the best May ever for the Jeep® Grand Cherokee and the highest level of May sales for the Dodge Charger in six years. Overall, total sales rose 2 percent to 218,702 vehicles. Fleet represented 31 percent of total sales during the month. On a year-to-date basis, fleet accounted for 22 percent of sales.

"On a year-over-year basis we have increased our average transaction prices by more than $3,000 a vehicle and still managed some notable sales increases," said Reid Bigland, U.S. Head of Sales. “In its first full month on sale, our all new Jeep Gladiator pickup truck delivered more than 2,500 vehicle sales, our Ram pickup truck sales soared 33 percent and the Jeep Grand Cherokee delivered its best May sales ever.”

See the attached table for the breakdown of brand and nameplate sales.

Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer. As announced on July 26, 2016, FCA US has modified its methodology for monthly sales reporting as follows:
  • Sales to retail customers by dealers in the U.S. are derived from the New Vehicle Delivery Report (“NVDR”) system and are determined as the sum of (A) all sales recorded by dealers during the month net of all unwound transactions recorded to the end of that month (whether the original sale was recorded in the current month or any prior month); plus (B) all sales of vehicles during that month attributable to past unwinds that had previously been reversed in determining monthly sales (in the current or prior months).
  • Fleet sales are recorded upon the shipment of the vehicle by FCA US to the customer or end user.
  • Other retail sales are recorded either (A) when the sale is recorded in the NVDR system (for sales by dealers in Puerto Rico and limited sales made through distributors that submit NVDRs in the same manner as for sales by U.S. dealers) or (B) upon receipt of a similar delivery notification (for vehicles for which NVDRs are not entered such as vehicles for FCA employees).
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sales Chart May 2019.jpg
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Holy moly. FCA is asking for trouble when 31% of sales are fleet

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, looking at their report verbiage you'd get the impression that sales are strong. Then you look at the numbers, and...yikes. I am always concerned when a business cherry picks the data like this.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Interesting numbers for sure. I’d be curious as to what vehicles make up the fleet sales. Ram and Charger have suspiciously high increases over LY, so I’d guess that’s a lot of it.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Holy moly. FCA is asking for trouble when 31% of sales are fleet
There's good money in Chassis Cabs, and it would be bad business to ignore that market.

IMG_1526.JPG

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Interesting numbers for sure. I’d be curious as to what vehicles make up the fleet sales. Ram and Charger have suspiciously high increases over LY, so I’d guess that’s a lot of it.
Odd that Charger sales are up...I haven't read anything about changes to the car. As mentioned above, It's gotta be related to fleet sales. The margin for fleet sales must be lower for sure (I'm guessing).

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I'm guessing a lot of GC sales are fleet. The WK2 has been around for 9 years now, I don't see how the demand would suddenly spike without a refresh or redesign. JL continue to sell very well although we don't know how much of that is fleet.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There's good money in Chassis Cabs, and it would be bad business to ignore that market.

IMG_1526.JPG
Commercial vs rental fleet are two very different markets, it'd be nice if they seperated the numbers out.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Commercial vs rental fleet are two very different markets, it'd be nice if they seperated the numbers out.
There are a lot of ways to break down fleet sales. Rental Companies, DOD, Local and State Police, Contractors, Taxi companies, ect...

In either case a vehicle sold is a vehicle sold. I can bet FCA makes a lot more money selling 100 Chargers, 50 Cherokees and 10 Durangos to a rental company at a lower margin than just me walking in and Buying a Sahara off the lot.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone else going to just ignore the fact they sold a 5 year old Avenger this year???
I bet it was a killer deal, lol. Or used as a shuttle by the dealer, and sold off for cheap.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I guess it's too much to hope a 12% year to year drop in sales might cause them to actually address QC and parts availability… nah, why would FC do that now?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

WSTruck

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner