Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA reports March 2019 sales figures. 21,963 Wranglers were sold in March.

Jeep Wrangler March 2019 Sales.jpg

FCA US Reports March 2019 Sales
  • Ram pickup reports new March record as sales increase 9 percent to 45,187 sold
  • Jeep® Grand Cherokee notches best March ever as sales rise 26 percent to 24,655 vehicles sold
  • Ram brand sets new March record as sales jump 15 percent to 51,822 sold
April 2, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reported a new March record for the Ram brand as sales jumped 15 percent, underscoring the success the company has found in its two-pronged strategy of selling both the Ram 1500 and Ram Classic.

The performance of the Ram brand, combined with a new March record for Jeep® Grand Cherokee, countered general softness within the industry. FCA sold 200,307 vehicles in the month.

"The industry had a tough first quarter but with spring finally starting to show its face and continued strong economic indicators, such as a boost in housing sales, lower lending rates and a strong labor market, we are confident that new vehicle sales demand will strengthen going forward," U.S Head of Sales Reid Bigland said. "Meanwhile, our Ram brand sales and average transaction prices continue to be strong and our much anticipated, game-changing Jeep Gladiator pickup is on track for its in-market debut this month."

See the attached table for the breakdown of brand and nameplate sales.

Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer. As announced on July 26, 2016, FCA US has modified its methodology for monthly sales reporting as follows:
  • Sales to retail customers by dealers in the U.S. are derived from the New Vehicle Delivery Report (“NVDR”) system and are determined as the sum of (A) all sales recorded by dealers during the month net of all unwound transactions recorded to the end of that month (whether the original sale was recorded in the current month or any prior month); plus (B) all sales of vehicles during that month attributable to past unwinds that had previously been reversed in determining monthly sales (in the current or prior months).
  • Fleet sales are recorded upon the shipment of the vehicle by FCA US to the customer or end user.
  • Other retail sales are recorded either (A) when the sale is recorded in the NVDR system (for sales by dealers in Puerto Rico and limited sales made through distributors that submit NVDRs in the same manner as for sales by U.S. dealers) or (B) upon receipt of a similar delivery notification (for vehicles for which NVDRs are not entered such as vehicles for FCA employees).
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Off 21% YoY and 10% CYTD. Ouch. Guess early demand has dried up along with the JK supply and expensive JLs are finally seeing the market correction. Let's see if this trends up as we head towards summer but that's a painful drop in sales.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Off 21% YoY and 10% CYTD. Ouch. Guess early demand has dried up along with the JK supply and expensive JLs are finally seeing the market correction. Let's see if this trends up as we head towards summer but that's a painful drop in sales.
You can't set records every quarter.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
That and bad weather this time of year hurts sales as less people go out shopping.

So many variables in stuff like this, it's hard to point at one thing and say that is the cause.

Did notice 43 in the Gladiator column. :) I keep seeing what looks like a Gladiator around here, popped up maybe 3-4 weeks ago and I see it several times a week. Each time it is covered in more mud. I haven't gotten a good enough look at it yet to determine if it is a gladiator or a customized Jeep.

Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Wasn't a lot of last year fleet sales as well? Those naturally change over time. It's not a trend yet.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Agreed.

They only set records last year because of selling JK & JL at the same time.
First year TJ released there were ~84k total Wrangler sales. First year JK 120k. First year JL 240k(!!!) 2019 they are on track for ~200k sales.

The JL is selling like hotcakes.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wasn't a lot of last year fleet sales as well?
No, that's backards. They are selling about 3x more Wranglers to fleets now than they used to. Currently at a 11% clip (vs 4%)

Last edited:

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
They did not sell 240,000 JL's last year
Correct but it is still amazing that they managed to sell more than double the amount of Wranglers (JK & JL) than when the JK launched. The 4 door Jeep has nearly quadrupled Wrangler sales since the venerable TJ.

And through the 1Q they are on track for 200k in JL sales this year, which probably will go higher when sales figures rise in the summer months. These are incredible numbers.

Avl2294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2014 JKU Sahara 2004 Dodge Viper
I asked a local Jeep salesman how well the 2.0T are selling. His response was, "Wranglers, in general, aren't selling." I stopped by his dealership to find new Wranglers listed at $4,000-5,000 below sticker. I've never seen discounts like that around here. (in regions with higher Wrangler sales, that might not sound like much)

EAE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YourAppsCompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rebicon, 2005 Porsche Cayenne S, 2010 Ford Fusion, 2003 BMW K1200GT
Occupation
Business Owner, Entrepreneur, Engineer
Some of this on the Jeep Brand side is likely also due to to a wait and see with the Gladiator... Heard on one of the review shows that jeep is expecting to scavenge about 10% of Wrangler sales to the Gladiator.

Would be interesting to see this time next year what the Gladiator vs. Tacoma/Colorado/Ranger are... Not sure that is too much of a growth segment, but Tacoma has been the leader for decades and has just about as loyal a base a Wrangler... Does Gladiator take from Tacoma, or does is scrape off of Ford and GM??

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
Does anybody know the share of the 2.0T vs. the 3.6L?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They did not sell 240,000 JL's last year
I believe he meant the first year being the first 12 months the vehicle is available. The same logic applies to his TJ and JK comments.

I asked a local Jeep salesman how well the 2.0T are selling. His response was, "Wranglers, in general, aren't selling." I stopped by his dealership to find new Wranglers listed at $4,000-5,000 below sticker. I've never seen discounts like that around here. (in regions with higher Wrangler sales, that might not sound like much)
Pretty standard to have Wrangler's listed off sticker now. That doesn't mean they're not selling. In our region, they sell within a couple of weeks of showing up, according to my dealer. They can't keep them in stock. Obviously this varies greatly from region to region. I also am of the opinion that new vehicle pricing has gotten too expensive, and most likely will cause greater depreciation this time around -- thus why I leased mine.
Sponsored