Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler March 2019 Sales Figure Report

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I personally know three people that have been waiting to see if FCA would fix drift, death wobble and rust issues...Two of the three have purchased 4runners in the last month because they felt FCA wasnt focused on fixing the issues. Im the last hold out and I've got another month Im willing to wait before I pull the trigger on something else. Thereis nothing more I want than a Jeep right now but Im not going to be left holding the bag for a company that wont fix and or support a product they sold....

The JL does not have a stellar image regarding quality/safety right now and I cant imagine it wont continue to impact sales. If you pull up any forum that has an automotive section and find a thread on the JL there is almost always people in the thread talking about rust, welding and steering issues...Not a good look.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Huge falls on the month and the first quarter of the year. Ray Charles could have seen that coming.

We saw JL sell less than JK in many prior months before this.

I wish I had a $5 bill for every time I've heard someone look at a JL and say, "$XXXXX.XX?! For a Wrangler??"

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I personally know three people that have been waiting to see if FCA would fix drift, death wobble and rust issues...Two of the three have purchased 4runners in the last month because they felt FCA wasnt focused on fixing the issues. Im the last hold out and I've got another month Im willing to wait before I pull the trigger on something else. Thereis nothing more I want than a Jeep right now but Im not going to be left holding the bag for a company that wont fix and or support a product they sold....

The JL does not have a stellar image regarding quality/safety right now and I cant imagine it wont continue to impact sales. If you pull up any forum that has an automotive section and find a thread on the JL there is almost always people in the thread talking about rust, welding and steering issues...Not a good look.
The vast majority of the issues you list happened on the 2018 JL. Those issues have been addressed on the 2019 as far as I've seen. My 2019 has none of those issues. If you truly want a Wrangler, take advantage of the current discounts on 2019's before the mid-Spring and Summer rush hits.

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The vast majority of the issues you list happened on the 2018 JL. Those issues have been addressed on the 2019 as far as I've seen. My 2019 has none of those issues. If you truly want a Wrangler, take advantage of the current discounts on 2019's before the mid-Spring and Summer rush hits.

I was under the impression wobble and drift were still prevalent on the 2019...

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huge falls on the month and the first quarter of the year. Ray Charles could have seen that coming.

We saw JL sell less than JK in many prior months before this.

I wish I had a $5 bill for every time I've heard someone look at a JL and say, "$XXXXX.XX?! For a Wrangler??"
Exclusivity comes with a price.:sun:

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by "prevalent".

A few people in a thread on the internet? Or something actually signficant?
I don't think some of the people reporting that issue really know what it is. Either that or they've never owned a Wrangler before.

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What do you mean by "prevalent".

A few people in a thread on the internet? Or something actually signficant?
Significant amounts...I stopped into my local Jeep shop and they said they had had "numerous" vehicles that they were working on trying to assist with wobble and drift..Their advice was "buy a used JK if you want a Jeep until this gets resolved"..

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Significant amounts...I stopped into my local Jeep shop and they said they had had "numerous" vehicles that they were working on trying to assist with wobble and drift..Their advice was "buy a used JK if you want a Jeep until this gets resolved"..
There's well north of 200k JLs on the road at this point. "Numerous" vehicles don't mean diddly squat. This is the problem with anecdotes and the internet in general. People don't go online to rant about how perfectly fine their vehicle performs. They go to complain. And then a few others pile into a thread, and then you have people extrapolating that major production issues exist because 30 people said so on an internet forum. People that go to Jeep shops are in the same type of boat. That shop gets 5 trucks that have the problem and gee whiz it must be everything.

My 19 JLU doesn't have any of the issues you mention. The people I know with JLs don't have the problem. My dealer (a large NY FCA hub) didn't see any of these issues.

But I don't rely on that to give me the "truth", because it is much easier. FCA isn't going to let 200k Jeeps with potentially faulty steering remain on the road without a recall, because the financial risk is just too high. They recalled for the welding issues which were much less of a danger than death wobble.

If you look at NHTSA's website there are indeed a large number of complaints about steering issues (currently 515). Most, if not all, are about death wobble type issues, and all seem to be 2018 vehicles.

Even if that only represents 1/10 of the total vehicles affected, you are only takling about 5000 vehicles out of 200k that might have a steering issue. That's big, sure, but it is a drop in the bucket to total sales and suggests that the problem was confined to 2018 models.

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
What I have seen over the years is sales are rarely affected by NHTSA/forum complaints. Majority of the buyers do not research these things. Now, the FCA reliability in general keeps some buyers away and they are not going to buy a Jeep irrespective of the number of NHTSA complaints on a specific model. The 2014 Cherokee had a huge number of transmission issues tot he point FCA CEO had to comment on it. Still sold like hotcakes.
I wish there was a more direct sales impact so companies would make quality their first priority.

To put things in perspective in 2015,2016 and 2017 March they sold 17.5K,17.5K and 16.3K wranglers, so 21K is a very impressive sales number.

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon

I was also worried , reading everything on these forums, bad this, bad that, wobble this, death that...it got to a point it started sounding silly...sure things happen , but that is in all cars, trucks, which are much more expensive...i loved the new jl and i said if this thing is really that bad , it would not keep selling, so i bought my 2019 rubicon, fully loaded, and it is awesome...not one issue...had it up to 90 mph so far, not a shimmy...its not missing anything, the button is not cracked, the seat doesn't have a creak noise at 30mph, it's great....so, if you love the jeep, get it !!!...it will be awesome....what makes you think the 4 runner will be problem free...take a look at the 4 runner forums....

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
If you look at any of the review websites, for hotels, dealerships, cars, etc - if you believe everything written, you will be scared to buy anything! The dealer I went to had awesome and terrible reviews. How is that? I've had 43 years of buying cars and I've walked out of a few places in the past, one Ford dealer is lucky he still has a head, cause I was about to unscrew it and shit down his neck. The Jeep dealer I went to was great, they took my personal check for the Jeep. I mean seriously, drivers license and check - 43K and done. I was concerned when it was a week before they cashed it. I had the general manager call me and ask if I was satisfied and give me his cell number in case anything came up. I had emails from the salesman and service department thanking me for my purchase and offering to assist if I needed anything. I never had any of that, "sir, what do we have to do to get you in this vehicle TODAY!" It was easy, stress free and I got a good deal. But according to the reviews of some, they will knock you out and sell your kidneys. I have less faith in internet reviews than I do car salesmen if that tells you anything. I did my own research by talking to actual owners I met at the gas pumps or Home Depot parking lots. It's funny, but Jeep owners don't mind taking time to talk about their Jeep.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
No wonder they are able to turn out orders so quickly.