Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL vs Lexus LX, Mercedes G-Class, Land Rover Discovery (Motortrend Comparison Review)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Last edited by a moderator:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Interesting that the Wrangler emerged the winner when tested against rigs that many consider are not even in its marketspace: at least where money, if not capability is the metric.

Tests like these don't much factor in cost of ownership, not to say that if they did that the Wrangler would emerge as victor, but nor do they consider aftermarket availability of product, in which case the Wrangler would win with an enormous lead, with an aftermarket I suspect substantially larger (or at least expected to be for the JL) than all the other rigs tested here combined. All the aftermarket in the world, even if the G Class were comparably priced, wouldn't give this Mercedes rig the breath of after purchase choices.

For those who say "size doesn't matter," they were clearly not referring to the Wrangler owner's market. With such size comes vendors willing to put in the up front costs of developing product likely to maximize their return on investment in a large audience interested in such wares.

I know the G Class has seen improvements, but previous models had to be bought, as is the case *somewhat* for the Lexus and Land Rover for the cache of owning such a brand. I know many people very proud of their Wrangler purchases, but far less having done so for any factor related to status symbol bragging rights.

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
New Mexico, Not really new - not really Mexico...
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoyable read. Interesting that the Wrangler looked to be the weakest on specs but finished on top.

Unfortunately, the article does lose some integrity with the photo gallery featuring a Jeep ad on the right and a Jeep ad every four or so pictures.

And I thought the Jeep was pricey until I saw the MSRP on that Mercedes! It should be heads and shoulders above the competition in ALL categories at that price.

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
If I had a turbo 4 Rubicon, I'd gladly trade the better mpg for some of those attractive horsepower and torque numbers on the other three vehicles. I'd keep the price tag though...holy #$%&! the other three are expensive and you could buy almost 3 Rubicons for the price of one G-Wagen.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What trails are they talking about? They took no pictures on those trails? Lol what a joke.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What trails are they talking about? They took no pictures on those trails? Lol what a joke.
These were right in the text of the article.....

2018-Lexus-LX-2018-Jeep-Wrangler-2019-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-2018-Land-Rover-Discovery-6.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-front-three-quarter-in-motion-4.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great article. While I have no experience with the Benz and the Land Rover, I do get to ride in a LX570 on a regular basis. Its very comfortable, and I'm pretty sure if you throw some good AT tires it will shred a trail... but I still like my Jeep better. :)

Sponsored

Jonathan.Jeep.Sales

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR Recon, 2.5in AEV, 35in BFG K02
I own a Rubicon Unlimited with 2 in lift on 35's and all that jazz, and a Range Rover Velar (bigger brother to the Discovery). The Range is surprisingly capable with 4wd, locking rear diff, low range, adjustable ride height etc, but doesn't hold a candle to the Rubi in capability.

And likewise, the Velar is about 50% better on road with almost 400HP, air suspension, and quiet as a tomb inside, much better tech, and seats that feel like heaven. i mean i get why they compared these vehicles, but their really not in the same category or price range. they would be better off comparing the jeep to a tacoma, 4runner, and maybe a zr2 colorado?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh sweet! more proof of our intelligence! :clap:

Reactions: EAE

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
There is only one Jeep ! The others are for trips from the ski slope to starbucks .

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Not sure I get this review, they are comparing vehicles that are "apples and oranges" in size, weight, engines, mpg, speed, cost, etc. I would have found it more interesting and applicable if it was a comparison of the G-wagon and Rubicon since they are both new designs from the ground up in over 10 years, not so much a direct comparison (since they don't really compete in the same market and the price gap is too-wide), but on how both of these vehicles have evolved from their previous design and the improvements that have been made to make them better than before...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I get this review, they are comparing vehicles that are "apples and oranges" in size, weight, engines, mpg, speed, cost, etc. I would have found it more interesting and applicable if it was a comparison of the G-wagon and Rubicon since they are both new designs from the ground up in over 10 years, not so much a direct comparison (since they don't really compete in the same market and the price gap is too-wide), but on how both of these vehicles have evolved from their previous design and the improvements that have been made to make them better than before...
I think the only one that's really out of place is the Wrangler. The Benz, Lexus and Rover are all super luxury (Especially the Benz) whereas the Wrangler isn't... Even with Leather seats it doesn't come close to the others, on purpose.
Sponsored