Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL vs Lexus LX, Mercedes G-Class, Land Rover Discovery (Motortrend Comparison Review)

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Lockers when I want them is actually where I describe how I did it.
thank you. That thread has the part number for the wiring harness, and you mentioned the switches you connected it to.

I have a rubicon. I would like to lock the rear sometimes when not in 4 Low.

Does the manual switch control ever conflict with the factory built elock systems or do you disconnect he factory wiring to the elocker? If you disconnect the factory wiring, then what errors does that produce, what are the downsides of that? And would you reconnect the factory wiring prior to taking it for service if there was some related warranty issue? Please elaborate.
thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I own a Rubicon Unlimited with 2 in lift on 35's and all that jazz, and a Range Rover Velar (bigger brother to the Discovery). The Range is surprisingly capable with 4wd, locking rear diff, low range, adjustable ride height etc, but doesn't hold a candle to the Rubi in capability.

And likewise, the Velar is about 50% better on road with almost 400HP, air suspension, and quiet as a tomb inside, much better tech, and seats that feel like heaven. i mean i get why they compared these vehicles, but their really not in the same category or price range. they would be better off comparing the jeep to a tacoma, 4runner, and maybe a zr2 colorado?
Mmm... the velar is the bigger brother to the Discovery sport but not the Discovery. My $0.02. Discovery is vastly more capable than the Velar -- the new one while not having a ton of after market support, is no joke. If you do a proper lift (not rods), which isn't CRAZY expensive (probably more than a typical Jeep long arm though), you can fit 35's-37's with trimming. Otherwise you're stuck with 33's I believe if you go rods.

I have an L320 (S/C) and it's a joy offroad if you're sticking to < 6 trails that don't require > 33's. I have 32" KO2's with the IID tool and rods -- does very well. The new Discovery would be a massive upgrade to any modern Range Rover in terms of offroad capabilities.

And to those commenting on the sticker of the Benz -- the new one is a huge upgrade over the old one, which rode like dog shit. Love love the new one.

Last edited:

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
No conflicts, you are bypassing the computer, you unplug the factory harness from differential and plug in new harness. Its only hot and ground so you’re either locked or unlocked controlled by auxiliary switches. The only dash code is when you start engine a message “ service axle locker”pops up then goes away like fasten seatbelt or something like that. There’s a chassis icon that stays on over the fuel gauge. Not a big deal. The factory harness has 4 wires and the new harness has only 2 so the 2 wires your not using are to factory switch and computer, which is the reason for dash code. You don’t have to put in factory harness when you go in for service because it’s a Mopar part so it can’t void your warranty. It works great, you can also use tazer programmer to do this, which I have and used but it’s not as fast to engage and I’ve waited a couple minutes for it to unlock sometimes. However in fairness to the tazer, I’m using the beta version of new update, it’s not been officially released, it will probably work better when actually gets released. If you have any questions if you change harnesses you can pm me if you want.
Thank you, exactly what I needed to know!

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
And I thought the Jeep was pricey until I saw the MSRP on that Mercedes! It should be heads and shoulders above the competition in ALL categories at that price.
You’d get your difference in money if you wanted to drive across country or got in a wreck compared to the Wrangler tho ha. Awesome those other cars are such nice vehicles while being so capable off-road. But yeah, for the money, I’ll gladly take a Wrangler. Especially since it’s the only convertible in the group

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I think the only one that's really out of place is the Wrangler. The Benz, Lexus and Rover are all super luxury (Especially the Benz) whereas the Wrangler isn't... Even with Leather seats it doesn't come close to the others, on purpose.
For what it’s worth.....My Rubicon is far more luxury than I am accustomed to. I am prouder than any Benz owner to drive and take my guests around in my Ruby. If I want a luxury car...then I get my Corvette out of the garage. The Ruby JL is Rugged Luxury! It cannot be compared to other vehicles....because their are NO competitors to it....PERIOD! It is Motor Trends SUV of the year. That alone is an enormous endorsement. Off Road....the JL is King ! Even though it’s a rugged off road vehicle....it still able to have great handling on the street. It gets great mileage (taking into consideration its NOT a Japanese small import car). And it can be loaded with all the modern luxury amenities that modern cars carry.
Mercedes and Land Rover both have been making 4WD off road vehicles as long as Jeep has.
Jeep JL simply bested those who attempted to compete with it.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth.....My Rubicon is far more luxury than I am accustomed to. I am prouder than any Benz owner to drive and take my guests around in my Ruby. If I want a luxury car...then I get my Corvette out of the garage. The Ruby JL is Rugged Luxury! It cannot be compared to other vehicles....because their are NO competitors to it....PERIOD! It is Motor Trends SUV of the year. That alone is an enormous endorsement. Off Road....the JL is King ! Even though it’s a rugged off road vehicle....it still able to have great handling on the street. It gets great mileage (taking into consideration its NOT a Japanese small import car). And it can be loaded with all the modern luxury amenities that modern cars carry.
Mercedes and Land Rover both have been making 4WD off road vehicles as long as Jeep has.
Jeep JL simply bested those who attempted to compete with it.
Preaching to the Choir my friend. :giggle:

I do agree that the JL has a lot more lux than older Jeeps, but not to the level of the others in this comparo. Jeep has stuck to the off road guns and I like that. While I don't have experience with the Rover and the Benz, I do have some with the LX570. The difference is a loaded out Jeep has leather seats while the Lexus has a full on luxury car interior.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Preaching to the Choir my friend. :giggle:

I do agree that the JL has a lot more lux than older Jeeps, but not to the level of the others in this comparo. Jeep has stuck to the off road guns and I like that. While I don't have experience with the Rover and the Benz, I do have some with the LX570. The difference is a loaded out Jeep has leather seats while the Lexus has a full on luxury car interior.
Jeep has very accommodating Grand Cherokee for soccer moms and they have full luxury interior.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has very accommodating Grand Cherokee for soccer moms and they have full luxury interior.
Yes, but the Grand Cherokee isn't quite up to the Lexus level. Don't get me wrong, the Grand Cherokee is pretty nice but That Lexus is niiiiice.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever been in one? My boss has one and it is a nice ride. I wouldn't touch a trail with it, but that's why I have a Jeep.

Sponsored

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Have you ever been in one? My boss has one and it is a nice ride. I wouldn't touch a trail with it, but that's why I have a Jeep.
I look at a lot of SUV’s as more of a 4 door AWD mom mini-van. There’s a reason why Jeep Wranglers are so coveted. Compare when it shows some “utility”.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I look at a lot of SUV’s as more of a 4 door AWD mom mini-van. There’s a reason why Jeep Wranglers are so coveted. Compare when it shows some “utility”.
Okay dude, you were talking about the luxury aspect of it compared to the luxury of the Wrangler. The Lexus wins in that category. It also wins in "Utility" with more passenger seating, more cargo room, and a better towing capacity.

Where the Wrangler DOMINATES is the off road capability. Its an offroader first, whereas the Offroad capabilities of the Lexus has taken a back seat to the luxury. And as I said before, the Lexus is just too nice to really take off road, that is why I have a Jeep.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
People that buy the high dollar Mercedes, Rovers, etc, dont take them off the road. So what does it matter. Jeep is definitely a "Cult" type following and for damn good reasons. We like our outdoors........
Sponsored