ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
I read 13 out of 18 of these pages and didn’t see where people specifically said which speakers they polyfilled behind. Are you polyfilling the larger speaker in soundbar or the two 3.5s a lot of people replaced with the factory mopar “Dodge Dart” speakers? I bought 4 of those off Amazon for about $30 each and plan on replacing the 3.5s in the dash and soundbar.....also bought polyfill. Should I put the polyfill in when I swap those, or just the big soundbar speaker? Thanks in advance!
I just replaced my 2.5s with the dart kicker speakers this week. I polyfilled behind both new small ones and the bigger 4 inch stock speakers. I also laid down a little dynamat behind the 4 in. All of that along with an 8 inch powered sub made a HUGE difference in sound quality.
Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
I just replaced my 2.5s with the dart kicker speakers this week. I polyfilled behind both new small ones and the bigger 4 inch stock speakers. I also laid down a little dynamat behind the 4 in. All of that along with an 8 inch powered sub made a HUGE difference in sound quality.
Thanks! Sounds like it doesn’t “hurt” to have polyfill then(?). As I read more post on here, and elsewhere, I started noticing some people only regencies their subs when discussing polyfill. And, when I googled it, the articles I found were always in reference to subs providing base, and I read how adding too much polyfill can make speakers sound worse, not better.

Without having a side by side comparison of the before and after, it is hard to tell if the poly helped my dash speakers I replaced, so I thought I’d post and ask. Thanks for the response.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Sounds like it doesn’t “hurt” to have polyfill then(?). As I read more post on here, and elsewhere, I started noticing some people only regencies their subs when discussing polyfill. And, when I googled it, the articles I found were always in reference to subs providing base, and I read how adding too much polyfill can make speakers sound worse, not better.

Without having a side by side comparison of the before and after, it is hard to tell if the poly helped my dash speakers I replaced, so I thought I’d post and ask. Thanks for the response.

I would say it doesn't hurt. It's is a little difficult to say how much impact it had since I did the entire upgrade at once instead of in stages.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
has anyone just thought to cut out the opening where the 4 and 2.5 go in the soundbar to fit in a 6.5 Component setup. I didn't go the alpine upgrade route because I already have the equipment in my current vehicle that probably sounds better than the stock Alpine Upgrade. I have Alpine Type-R Components and a JL 10W3. Even 5.25's should be able to be fit into that space.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I added my own Alpine sub and kicker 3 inch speakers. Overall is sounds just as good as the Alpine upgrade and only cost about $400. Very pleased with the results and thankful for everyone's comments. I won't have gotten it installed with the help on the this forum.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I added my own Alpine sub and kicker 3 inch speakers. Overall is sounds just as good as the Alpine upgrade and only cost about $400. Very pleased with the results and thankful for everyone's comments. I won't have gotten it installed with the help on the this forum.
I am getting ready to start the same upgrades as you. Did you consider mounting the sub under one of the seats? I transport my German Shepherd in my cargo area and I don't want to run the risk of him doing damage to the sub.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting ready to start the same upgrades as you. Did you consider mounting the sub under one of the seats? I transport my German Shepherd in my cargo area and I don't want to run the risk of him doing damage to the sub.
Yes, that was my first choice. But there were issues. Under the front seats sort of works but it sticks out into the rear passenger foot well to the point it was uncomfortable for a rear passenger. They couldn't move their feet without the sub being in the way.

Then I tried under the rear seat. There is plenty of room and the sub fits well under the passenger rear seat. The problem there is that you cannot lay the rear seat flat. I like to do that to create more cargo space for trips to home depot and the like. So that didn't work either.

I finally decided that the place the factory put the sub in the Alpine upgrade was the most convenient spot. So I made a bracket and mounted it there. I don't think it will be a problem with a dog in the back. The sub casing is pretty tough. Mine is already scratched up a bit from moving it all around the jeep.

One thing to consider is that storage space under the cargo area floor. It fits in there really well. You would just need to create some kind of custom mount and insulate the hell out of it because it will rattle badly against that plastic. If mounting it where I have it didn't work out, this was going to be my next choice.

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that was my first choice. But there were issues. Under the front seats sort of works but it sticks out into the rear passenger foot well to the point it was uncomfortable for a rear passenger. They couldn't move their feet without the sub being in the way.

Then I tried under the rear seat. There is plenty of room and the sub fits well under the passenger rear seat. The problem there is that you cannot lay the rear seat flat. I like to do that to create more cargo space for trips to home depot and the like. So that didn't work either.

I finally decided that the place the factory put the sub in the Alpine upgrade was the most convenient spot. So I made a bracket and mounted it there. I don't think it will be a problem with a dog in the back. The sub casing is pretty tough. Mine is already scratched up a bit from moving it all around the jeep.

One thing to consider is that storage space under the cargo area floor. It fits in there really well. You would just need to create some kind of custom mount and insulate the hell out of it because it will rattle badly against that plastic. If mounting it where I have it didn't work out, this was going to be my next choice.
Great info. Thanks!

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Great info. Thanks!
WAY OFF TOPIC - SORRY
Mike, I am new here with a new Rubi JL. I am trying to decide what to do with my audio so in the research mode :)
I had to smile when I read your post about your GSD. 4 or 5 years ago a nice couple brought their GSD to training for the first time and they had him in the back of their mini-van. The GSD was a pretty good boy, with a little bit of drive. Of course like a lot of new owners they could not wait to do bite work. Before we started, I explained that they really should probably crate him after we were done but they said he would be fine in the van. So I worked with him and gave him a few bites and they tossed him in the van. They watched us work other dogs for probably an hour, popping the whip, taking bites on the sleeve. When they got back to their van that boy had ripped off every head rest, the console was a mess, etc.. It looked like an F5 had gone through that van. Of course not the dogs fault...instead user error :).

Now, what to do with the JL :) I would be happy if I could just figure out the best way to install my JL audio amp and C3 5 and 1/4 speakers and have full range going to them with no output from the rest of the system. Would I have to use the JL Fix processor to make this happen?
Thanks for the great info here and any comments on my thought would be appreciated.
Greg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ah the good ol GSD Breed. My MAX has literally shred a set of WOOD Chairs in like a matter of hours when he was younger. Like, I don't even think a CHAINSAW could have done more damage.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
WAY OFF TOPIC - SORRY
Mike, I am new here with a new Rubi JL. I am trying to decide what to do with my audio so in the research mode :)

...what to do with the JL :) I would be happy if I could just figure out the best way to install my JL audio amp and C3 5 and 1/4 speakers and have full range going to them with no output from the rest of the system. Would I have to use the JL Fix processor to make this happen?
Thanks for the great info here and any comments on my thought would be appreciated.
Greg
If you haven't seen it already, check out the "Adding an aftermarket amp(s)" thread. It discusses the trials/tribulations of going with 5.25's. Definitely do-able!

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WAY OFF TOPIC - SORRY
I had to smile when I read your post about your GSD. 4 or 5 years ago a nice couple brought their GSD to training for the first time and they had him in the back of their mini-van. The GSD was a pretty good boy, with a little bit of drive. Of course like a lot of new owners they could not wait to do bite work. Before we started, I explained that they really should probably crate him after we were done but they said he would be fine in the van. So I worked with him and gave him a few bites and they tossed him in the van. They watched us work other dogs for probably an hour, popping the whip, taking bites on the sleeve. When they got back to their van that boy had ripped off every head rest, the console was a mess, etc.. It looked like an F5 had gone through that van. Of course not the dogs fault...instead user error :).

Now, what to do with the JL :) I would be happy if I could just figure out the best way to install my JL audio amp and C3 5 and 1/4 speakers and have full range going to them with no output from the rest of the system. Would I have to use the JL Fix processor to make this happen?
Greg
I am a super novice when it comes to audio mods, so I am generally limited to being a reader and minor parts changer. I am waiting a bit to take the plunge on the amp, so I can't give any info on that.

Great story on the GSD. Mine is my retired work dog, so he is very high drive. He retired young when I got promoted, so I could NEVER have him unattended around anything that might get him excited. I've seen work dogs in proper cages destroy all kinds of things that they were able to get there paws and teeth on, so an uncrated dog in a minivan is certainly a recipe for disaster!

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, those of you that have added Amps and Subs, are you using the Marine components? My concern about upgrading is the chance of getting caught in a rain storm with the top off.

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
Im really not an audio-guy but can you hear the base system when driving with the top off the jeep?

In the JK, while you could hear it, it didn't quite get there.

Thoughts?

Taylor

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wangler JL
can I change my small radio that came with my 18 JL to the
Uconnect system
Sponsored