Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Sound System

Justhiller

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU ‘19
I upgraded all my speakers to kicker ds series except for the knee speakers. I used 300hz bass blockers on all the new speakers and ran the sound bar speakers in series to make up for the ohm drop caused by using 4 ohm speakers instead of the stock 8 ohm speakers. I then put a Kicker compact subwoofer in the rear storage bin. The subwoofer has a bass level control wired up to the space below the power windowswitches in the dash. it sounds alot better than thestock system and gives me good sound all around
Pictures?
Sponsored

Last edited:

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I just put the Kicker Hideaway in mine under the passenger side rear seat and I gotta tell ya guys......it sounds AMAZING! I'm not a young kid but it definitely fills in that low end sound that was missing. Just enough bass and it comes with a switch that allows you to turn it up, down or even off that mounts right beside the console on the shifter. VERY happy with my $400 spent.
Does sub interfere with seat movement or the rear passenger seating ( foot rest etc..)?
I am planing to do the same thing. First i was going to place the compact sub in the tool box in the rear compartment but under seat sounds like a better plan. I also have a 2 door.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Does sub interfere with seat movement or the rear passenger seating ( foot rest etc..)?
I am planing to do the same thing. First i was going to place the compact sub in the tool box in the rear compartment but under seat sounds like a better plan. I also have a 2 door.
Check out the Alpine PWD-X5, I just picked it up, wont be installing til spring though

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Glad you've got it working!

I think you may run into an issue where you'll only get bass feedback from your right channel's speaker. Sub-woofer amps take a right and left channel and blend them so that you get the full bass effect. Your setup will definitely work, but it could be limited, as some songs don't broadcast bass equally in each channel,.

I'd recommend feeding both the left and right channel into your PS8. You can pull those signals from the foot of your passenger side pillar. Both sets of twisted pair wires that feed your soundbar can be tapped at that point, then run to your sub. All you have to do to get to them is pop the floor panel on the side by the rear passenger door.

It's your call, but that's my .02!
Does anyone have a picture of where the grommet in the lasagne side is? Thank you

The audiophile gods out there, let me know if there is any issue with how I ended up wiring this

Sponsored

VinhTran

First Name
Vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Hello. Longtime Jeep owner first time posting. I've been following a couple of discussions on this speaker upgrade topic. I have the 2019 JLU with 8.4 Alpine system, with technically no tweeters. I needed to add more highs and brightness with some tweeters. First of all I want to say thank everyone here for sharing... After reading everything, and now that we're all on a somewhat lockdown, I have some times :). I've decided to replace the top dash and soundbar stock speakers with the Infinity REF 3032CFX. Like everyone said, these do make a huge difference with more clarity and the highs that were missing from the stock speakers. I even compared them while installing one speaker at a time, to convinced myself. It's more than a 50% improvement IMO, without having to upgrade to a power amp system. But, for a Jeep, it's more than we can ask for.
The reason for my post is... I wanted to share a very minor install tip that I did for these new Infinity 3032 in the soundbar replacement. I was able to mount the new Infinity 3032 speakers and positioned it to use the same mounting thread without drilling new holes. What I did was I bent the speaker metal flap (which holds the two wire terminals) up and inward closer toward the magnet housing. Also, instead of using the terminal connectors, I had to solder the wires to the terminals to make it more slim, obviously. I then use a small plier and crimp at the middle area of the flap, which is a metal flap that holds the terminals' plastic plate. I also had to bend the metal connecting terminals outward to avoid contact with the magnet housing. I was very careful not to damage any wiring terminals. I also trimmed the outside corners of the plastic plate for additional clearance. I only needed to bend it slightly to clear about 1/8". It was still a firm fit, but I was able to press it up into position and screw it in place. Looks clean, and sounds GREAT!!!
It may be too much effort, but like some of you out there, I dont like drilling or cutting into any factory component if I can avoid it, or unless I'm doing a complete system upgrade. Anyway, that worked for me, and I thought I should share... Sorry, I did not think about to snap some photos. I was rushing to get this done and put evrything back to surprise my daughter.

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Quick question did anyone use dynamat on their install? I am wondering how much I need to order to cover the dash & roll bar speaker enclosures?

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 crew cab black out
So I just ordered the 3.5” infinities for my sport base radio. What’s the overall thought on bass blockers. I see some do it and some don’t

planning on using polyfil in sound bar. How much? Does it really help? And has anyone done it in front corner dash also?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
So I just ordered the 3.5” infinities for my sport base radio. What’s the overall thought on bass blockers. I see some do it and some don’t

planning on using polyfil in sound bar. How much? Does it really help? And has anyone done it in front corner dash also?
Use the base blockers. I doubt if they would include them if they didn't help. Because of their higher sensitivity and lower resistance, the Infinities will over power the remaining 4" speakers. The base blockers will counter that for the low frequencies and give the 4" something to do.

Sponsored

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 crew cab black out
Can anyone give a suggestion on how much poly fill to use in sound bar and front corners. Do I fill the sound bar to the dome light? Or just around the hole of speaker? Etc.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I did Infinity REF3022CFX 3.5" 75W Reference Series for all fronts and sound bar tweeter and Infinity REF-4022cfx 105W 4" for the knee panel JBL CLUB4020 4" 180W Club Series for the soundbar they pair and sound great! but had to add a subwoofer since they can't handle too much bass, now I have try to block the bass from the little speakers or get a amp. I have the sub in series with the soundbar speakers and cannot use all the bass in the equalizer but they sound great

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Need help. I’ve pretty much got my system dialed in finally with the following:

- Alpine T-harness wired to Alpine KTP-445u (maintained stock speaker wiring).
- Infinity Reference 3.5’s in dash wired directly in.
- Infinity Reference 6.5’s mounted in Metra pods (with polyfil) in knee panels and using Metra adapters.
- Stock sound bar w/no mods
- Rockford Fosgate P300-8 powered Sub high level from the harness to round everything out.

All in all, it sounds pretty good.

So my question is this....the Infinity 6.5’s seem like they are being held back. I’ve amped them and they are still no where near as bright and loud as the dash speakers. I’m trying to figure out why 3.5’s are out performing 6.5’s of the same brand/series.

Any input?

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Need help. I’ve pretty much got my system dialed in finally with the following:

- Alpine T-harness wired to Alpine KTP-445u
- Infinity Reference 3.5’s in dash
- Infinity Reference 6.5’s mounted in Metra pods (with polyfil) in knee panels.
- Stock sound bar w/no mods
- Rockford Fosgate P300-8 powered Sub to round everything out.

All in all, it sounds pretty good.

So my question is this....the Infinity 6.5’s seem like they are being held back. I’ve amped them and they are still no where near as bright and loud as the dash speakers. I’m trying to figure out why 3.5’s are out performing 6.5’s of the same brand/series.

Any input?
are they enclosed?