Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, those of you that have added Amps and Subs, are you using the Marine components? My concern about upgrading is the chance of getting caught in a rain storm with the top off.
Not using the marine components, though I do have everything covered/protected. The marine stuff is really good, but it comes at a premium. This is Jeep number 5 for me, and I've had to resort to pulling the drain plugs several times in my older Jeeps, only once in this one (Bad thunderstorm, don't want to talk about it!) :)

Haven't had to replace an amp or speakers, ever. Head unit, yes (aftermarket unit in my JK), but not my amps or speakers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Im really not an audio-guy but can you hear the base system when driving with the top off the jeep?

In the JK, while you could hear it, it didn't quite get there.

Thoughts?
You can, it's just not very loud. The base system has Four 4-inch mid-range speakers, and Four small tweeters, that's it. Each of the mid-range speakers is mounted in a ported enclosure which allows them to stretch their sound capability a bit more than the base system in the JK's. It's not terrible, but it is a bit harder to hear at highway speeds, top down.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Not using the marine components, though I do have everything covered/protected. The marine stuff is really good, but it comes at a premium. This is Jeep number 5 for me, and I've had to resort to pulling the drain plugs several times in my older Jeeps, only once in this one (Bad thunderstorm, don't want to talk about it!) :)

Haven't had to replace an amp or speakers, ever. Head unit, yes (aftermarket unit in my JK), but not my amps or speakers.
Thanks! Yes, the Marine stuff definitely seems expensive.

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
Based on my understanding, the reason the Infinity REF3022CFX 3.5 is such a good drop-in replacement for the in-dash speakers is largely due to the high sensitivity and 3ohm rating, meaning it can make good use of a relatively low-power output headunit, correct?

Here's my confusion--I've read some posts that advice against 5.25" upgrades without an amp, due to the stock headunit not having the power to push them properly. However, infinity makes 5.25" speakers with the same sensitivity and resistance. Couldn't I replace the 4" speakers with infinity 5.25" (I realize some cutting/fabrication is involved), without adding an amp, and get great results similar to the 3.5" swap?

I realize the 3.5" are rated at like 25wrms and the 5.25 is like 40wrms, but I don't know if that would make a big enough difference here.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something, or someone would have already done this, but please, educate me!

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
After listening to my new speakers for a couple weeks, I'm real happy with how it turned out. Sounds clean with no distortion as loud as I care to turn it up. I installed the high pass filter caps on all four and stuffed poly into the gaps in the front dash. Bass +2 and treble -2.

front_speaker2.jpg
rear_installed.jpg
What are those capacitors you've added in-line with your infinity speakers? Are they aftermarket resistors to trick the headunit into thinking they're stock? If those are the filters that supposedly come with the infinity speakers, mine didn't, so I'm curious what you're using and why :)

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
What are those capacitors you've added in-line with your infinity speakers? Are they aftermarket resistors to trick the headunit into thinking they're stock? If those are the filters that supposedly come with the infinity speakers, mine didn't, so I'm curious what you're using and why :)
They are base blocking capacitors that came with the speakers. I think they were taped to the back of the foam packaging. They play a role in getting the best performance out of the speakers by blocking low frequencies.

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
They are base blocking capacitors that came with the speakers. I think they were taped to the back of the foam packaging. They play a role in getting the best performance out of the speakers by blocking low frequencies.
Come slap me because I’m an idiot. I found the capacitors taped exactly where you said they’d be! I almost threw those away, thank you so.much.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
I added my own Alpine sub and kicker 3 inch speakers. Overall is sounds just as good as the Alpine upgrade and only cost about $400. Very pleased with the results and thankful for everyone's comments. I won't have gotten it installed with the help on the this forum.

I did this, I think it sounded better in the back. Price update...Amazon has the Alpine 8 for $184.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I ordered them from Crutchfield. The filters come in the box and the connectors are included for free, I soldered it all together. They are on sale until 7/14 for 20% off - $72. I soldered the connector on due to the limited space/ tight fit of the push on connectors

rear_installed.jpg
By any chance do you know part number of the Connector? I ordered my Infinity's but the connectors I got were too big. I believe I need the METRA 72-7902 ones?

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By any chance do you know part number of the Connector? I ordered my Infinity's but the connectors I got were too big. I believe I need the METRA 72-7902 ones?
According to my Crutchfield order history, this is what I ordered - Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters - Front. But they show as no longer available now.

Edit - Just saw that Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters are the replacement, so you are correct.

Last edited:

PhinsJL

First Name
FELIPE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Sahara
How would you connect the bass blocker to the 77kick25ab without splicing into the factory harness? Would it be best to order the meta 72-7902 and splice into there? Is there a male harness adapter that fits into the 77kick25ab?

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
According to my Crutchfield order history, this is what I ordered - Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters - Front. But they show as no longer available now.

Edit - Just saw that Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters are the replacement, so you are correct.
This morning I threw in the 4 Infiniti speakers using the wiring adapters from Crutchfields. About the easiest mod I have ever done and probably the cheapest too. I guess I kind of have to go against the grain here in that while it is better, I would not say by a large margin? Maybe it will grow on me and maybe I just need to add a little powered sub? For now, probably worth the time and money as both were minimal, but don't expect miracles IMO.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This morning I threw in the 4 Infiniti speakers using the wiring adapters from Crutchfields. About the easiest mod I have ever done and probably the cheapest too. I guess I kind of have to go against the grain here in that while it is better, I would not say by a large margin? Maybe it will grow on me and maybe I just need to add a little powered sub? For now, probably worth the time and money as both were minimal, but don't expect miracles IMO.
Did you install the base blocking capacitors?

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Did you install the base blocking capacitors?
I did not. Would you recommend doing so on all 4? I just can't get my little brain around how that would help much with the high frequency dominating the sound signature already? Maybe I am not thinking through it correctly??

Thank you,
Greg
Sponsored