Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Sound System

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I ended up not putting the alpine system in my JLU to save some money, but is it something I am really going to regret?
I heard the new JL stock audio was a big improvement to the JK's and was wondering if anyone went the same route, or has heard the stock system and could give me some feedback.
Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I knew I would regret it, because I regretted it big time on my 2016 Rubicon, so I was certainly not going to make that mistake again. Sound systems are a must for me.

Finally a Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Grand Cherokee, 2018 JLU
I went stock sound and it's perfectly fine with me. I typically listen to sports radio but will listen to music on long car rides or if my girlfriend is in the car. I have no issue with it versus my gc limiteds sound.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
This Alpine system is one of the best stock systems, if not the best, I've ever owned....aside maybe from Levinson on a Lexus. No regrets on the upgrade. Supremely happy with it!

OP
OP

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I knew I would regret it, because I regretted it big time on my 2016 Rubicon, so I was certainly not going to make that mistake again. Sound systems are a must for me.
I heard the stock audio system in the JL was an improvement from the JK's, yes the Alpine is a great sound system but I'm wondering if the non-upgrade is still good.

I went stock sound and it's perfectly fine with me. I typically listen to sports radio but will listen to music on long car rides or if my girlfriend is in the car. I have no issue with it versus my gc limiteds sound.
That's nice to hear at least, I've heard the alpine system on the JLU test drive but they never had any stock audio systems on the lot, so but was told they were better than the JK's.

This Alpine system is one of the best stock systems, if not the best, I've ever owned....aside maybe from Levinson on a Lexus. No regrets on the upgrade. Supremely happy with it!
It is great, no doubt about it. Just trying to figure out if the stock sound system is not bad.

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Maybe it's not too late to add it back...

OP
OP

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Maybe it's not too late to add it back...
Its not to late, but the stock audio seriously can't be that bad lol. Its an improvement compared to the Jks so I'm trying to figure out how much of improvement it was.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I added it for both, the sound system and the upgraded infotainment. I really like the xm guardian feature that allows you to start your Jeep remotely with an app.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Does the alpine option work just as well with the base uconnect 3 in the sport or do you have to upgrade to uconnect 4 to take advantage of the system?

Sponsored

OP
OP

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
If you add quality aftermarket speakers and a powered subwoofer you can get great sound for less than the $1295 they charge for the Alpine.
I started looking into doing aftermarket speakers and subs, I believe I'm going to go this route instead.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you add quality aftermarket speakers and a powered subwoofer you can get great sound for less than the $1295 they charge for the Alpine.
I had a very nice aftermarket system in my JK - I upgraded to the Uconnect 4 with 7” screen on my JL and it is very capable of driving aftermarket systems. I think I paid about $800 installed on my JK.

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
I had a very nice aftermarket system in my JK - I upgraded to the Uconnect 4 with 7” screen on my JL and it is very capable of driving aftermarket systems. I think I paid about $800 installed on my JK.
But don’t you have to negotiate the CANBUS system like you did on the JK? I found it easier to avoid that and change the head unit too... which isn’t nearly as clean since the JL has dials built into the dash, outside of the DIN space.

For me, the $1300 is completely worth it for the extremely upgraded Alpine system, full integration, and the saved hours of labor.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
You would be amazed how low quality factory speakers are. I always replace mine with some quality Infinity speakers and even with a stock head unit you hear a much better range.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You can improve the sound dramatically just by changing out sound bar speakers, while they are out fill the sound bar with poly before installing new speakers.
Sponsored