Jeep Wrangler JL Sequential LED DRL & Turn Signals - Morimoto XB LED

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Just look through the thread pages here as 2k2wranglerx has several video's and other comments around the product... I even have some spots for advice on how to do a few things like pulling one of the flaps out and leaving halogen wiring in place to reuse for later if needed plus it allows you to reuse the current fasteners for new wiring... So basically if you look through all of these you should have a great idea on how to install... The main thing is you will need something to pry out fasteners (trim tool kit), rivet tool for one rivet on fender and a cutter to remove rivet, and then mainly 8 & 10 mm sockets, ratchet / power tool, extensions. The rest is take your time and have patience... I left the fenders on and using all of the info from the threads here & was able to install both in roughly 1 - 2 hours... I did use the 3m 2 sided tape when reinstalling the new lights as per the video instructions from 2k2wranglerx... I attached some pictures of tools used and please note you could prob improvise on trim tool but i recommend using proper tools for job:

To be honest the most difficult items for this is:

1> removing the flap that drops down (with fender attached) behind the lights as shown in his video... I removed a bolt in the engine housing instead of popping the fender clips...

2> disconnecting the wire harness from the connector as it can be a tight space depending on how much of the plastic fender liner you move out of the way...

I have also included a picture to show location points for getting the fender panel removed:

Orange -- items use a trim tool to remove --> 4 items

Purple -- use trim tool to pry up then a wire cutter or snip tool to cut off rivet as this need to be removed in order to get bracket out that hold in light later. -- 1 rivet

Yellow -- 10mm socket and if you don't want to use a ratchet you can use a power drill by turning the wheels each direction to gain clear access to bolts with socket adapter just remember when installing again to use ratchet to fully tighten -- 4 bolts

Blue -- 8mm socket and same as above a power drill can be used with adapter -- 1 item

White -- this is really a push pin expander that has a phillips head... I put trim tool under it to pry a bit while just removing screw a few turns before popping it out

IMG_6490.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG
Wow! Thank you so much for writing this up, feel a lot more confident doing this now. Good stuff!
Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Wow! Thank you so much for writing this up, feel a lot more confident doing this now. Good stuff!
U bet... Once i get the updated harness i will try to do some more pics inside the panel to show various parts and locations but again if you watch his video you can pick up on these details as there is a bracket on back of lights that has to be unscrewed (at least on my Rubicon) before you can unscrew the 4 headlight screws, remove wires to back of light and then gently pry the 3m strip down to remove light... Again, for me i didn't remove the old halogen wire harness from fender but wrapped them and reused the same bar it was attached too for new wire by using zip strips to keep everything up and out of the way... this way if i have to revert back at anytime (sell it later) i don't have to rewire...

Froader

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1978 CJ-7
Hey Ryan, thanks for all your work and input into what's troubling these lights. I'm one of the editors of Offroaders.com and we were working on an install/review of these light when we encountered the same issue you're having. I contacted TRS about our lights. Seems I got a generic response from them stating they are aware of the issue and to use the standard blink until there's a fix. We're just wondering if you've heard anything since last week about a fix?

2k2wranglerx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL
Hey Ryan, thanks for all your work and input into what's troubling these lights. I'm one of the editors of Offroaders.com and we were working on an install/review of these light when we encountered the same issue you're having. I contacted TRS about our lights. Seems I got a generic response from them stating they are aware of the issue and to use the standard blink until there's a fix. We're just wondering if you've heard anything since last week about a fix?
Yes. They're working on the adapter harness now. But you can solder in a resistor and diode if need be. the diode is ont he yellow wire and the resistor would go between i believe the black and yellow... I have a pic of the quick and dirty fix but it's not great. shoot me a PM if you need more info.

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Installed my set today along with the smoked side marker lights and was able to duplicate everyone’s issue with the turn signals in sequential mode. I enabled the LED turn signal option with my Tazer and sequential mode works as it should. With the engine running I left the turn signals on for 10 minutes on each side and they never skipped a sequence.

C6308743-5FB5-49C1-8184-4325D150378F.jpeg

8413CAA2-6C05-430B-8C94-4496FC088434.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

KCwrangler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
to be honest, it sucks waiting for the sequential mode (since a lot of us bought them for that reason) fix...but in the meantime going from the crappy halogen lights to these it still makes a huge difference

GraniteJLU

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hey all finally got around to installing today. Kind of a PIA but everyones help on here made the process go much quicker. I decided to first try connecting the F1s and things seemed to work until the headlights came, the DRL portion would blink from a bright white to a dimmer white. I than connected the sequential and things went crazy. Decided to hook up the Tazer and now everything works perfect including the sequential. Question for everyone it appears that the white DRL portion is dimmer with headlights on and much brighter when used as DRL during the day. Does everyone else’s do this?

myoldmetal

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara, 14 Mustang GT, 17 Super Duty
Occupation
Construction Management
Installed my set today along with the smoked side marker lights and was able to duplicate everyone’s issue with the turn signals in sequential mode. I enabled the LED turn signal option with my Tazer and sequential mode works as it should. With the engine running I left the turn signals on for 10 minutes on each side and they never skipped a sequence.

C6308743-5FB5-49C1-8184-4325D150378F.jpeg

8413CAA2-6C05-430B-8C94-4496FC088434.jpeg
Alanscott1, did you use the headlight adapters from the TRS to install your headlights? Have you hooked up your eyebrow at the top of your headlights to your DRL circuit? I bought a set of headlight adapters from TRS and installed them with a set of JW Speakers, but have not yet looked into hooking my eyebrow to my DRL, or if I will at all

2k2wranglerx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL
Alanscott1, did you use the headlight adapters from the TRS to install your headlights? Have you hooked up your eyebrow at the top of your headlights to your DRL circuit? I bought a set of headlight adapters from TRS and installed them with a set of JW Speakers, but have not yet looked into hooking my eyebrow to my DRL, or if I will at all
i believe the JW speakers eyebrow only comes on with the low beams. they had to do that in order to comply with DOT regs.

I could be wrong. but i don't believe you can isolate the eyebrow.

myoldmetal

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara, 14 Mustang GT, 17 Super Duty
Occupation
Construction Management
i believe the JW speakers eyebrow only comes on with the low beams. they had to do that in order to comply with DOT regs.

Thats what it looked like to me, but just wanted to check, because i would tie that in to my DRL circuit if there was a way to do it. I installed my headlights, and a set of the Morimoto smoked fogs, but have not yet installed my sequential turns yet until TRS gets back to me about when the fix will be available. Correspondence with them has been very slow lately

Sponsored

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic

This is correct. The eyebrow is tied into the low beams and cannot be isolated.

2k2wranglerx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL
I just got shipping confirmation for a modified set of lights. TRS is working on getting you guys the retrofit that'll fix the issue. It worked on a jeep they had in the shop and we're trying it on mine before they start sending out the replacement parts to fix the issue.

Sounds like we're almost through this!

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just got shipping confirmation for a modified set of lights. TRS is working on getting you guys the retrofit that'll fix the issue. It worked on a jeep they had in the shop and we're trying it on mine before they start sending out the replacement parts to fix the issue.

Sounds like we're almost through this!
Thanks for staying on top of this and the update!!!!

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Yes, thanks as well... from another perspective buyer!

GraniteJLU

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hi all using Tazer and they work great. Do everyone elses DRLs get dimmer when the headlights are on? When mine are in DRL mode they are really bright. When the headlights are on they are noticeably dimmer. Sequantial turn signals work as advertised.
Sponsored