Jeep Wrangler JL Sequential LED DRL & Turn Signals - Morimoto XB LED

desant89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
I installed these lights. Lots of radio interference from the load resistors. Ferrite rings didn't do anything. I have a tazer installed, but can't get the lights to function without the resistors. Was anyone able to eliminate the interference or the resistors?
My interference was there with or without the resistors. My radio is not usable at all. I just ordered XM so I can have something. Very frustrating.
Sponsored

Snoopcad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Just took delivery of my new Sahara- first project was new LED driving lights and now the Morimoto DRL. They look great with the smoke lenses and really like the turn signals. This was a pain to install. I've been delayed waiting for new fender clips (better off ordering them first) to come in from the dealer.

Did a test to see if there is any radio interference and yes....same deal. Some static on certain FM stations, but none when I use XM or my phone for music. I reached out to the manufacture for a few questions.

First was the static-they know about it and I'm on a list to be notified if a fix comes out.

Second-there was a rubber sleeve with no instructions on what to do with it. Morimoto sent me an email with a pic on what to do with it.

Third-small gap around the lense and side marker. They requested pics and said this is normal. Just a small gap and it was the same on their test vehicles.

It looks great-the instructions on their website we ok at best, watched as many videos as possible to figure out what to do. Plenty of support from their tech guys and they even reached out to see if I had anymore issues or concerns.

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
First was the static-they know about it and I'm on a list to be notified if a fix comes out.

Second-there was a rubber sleeve with no instructions on what to do with it. Morimoto sent me an email with a pic on what to do with it.
Any update on the static issue?

And do you mind sending me the email for the rubber sleeve? I'm guessing it's some sort of heat protection for the resistor block, but I'm not certain.

dsgeorge73

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara

It looks great-the instructions on their website we ok at best, watched as many videos as possible to figure out what to do. Plenty of support from their tech guys and they even reached out to see if I had anymore issues or concerns.
Just received my XB's yesterday. Morimoto needs to work on their instructions a bit. Would you mind posting the email regarding the rubber sleeve. I'm assuming it is a heat shrink for the resistor(?) they included. I'm just curious where they suggest to put it when you are reattaching everything. Also, they included 4 smaller pieces of heat shrink with mine. Not exactly sure where those should go since everything has clip connectors.... I emailed morimoto, but it's been crickets.... Thanks.

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Any update on the static issue?

And do you mind sending me the email for the rubber sleeve? I'm guessing it's some sort of heat protection for the resistor block, but I'm not certain.
I installed without the rubber sleeve. Not sure that's a good thing but I've had no issues, including a 3+ hour drive up to the Cape.

Sponsored

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I installed without the rubber sleeve. Not sure that's a good thing but I've had no issues, including a 3+ hour drive up to the Cape.
I couldn't really understand what they were for so I did the same.

RubiCO

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
TL;DR: Has anyone done this install to replace Halogen lights and do you still get the scanning signal?

Hey all, read through about half of this thread and didn't see the answer, so I thought I'd just ask:

I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon that has the HALOGEN light package.

I am upgrading to LEDs and picked up the Morimoto turn signals and I am curious (based on their online instructions) if the "scanning" turn signal works with the wiring setup for Halogen Lights?

I've also seens some thing about needing to flash to LEDs. I have a FlashCal already, does anyone know if the flashCal will suffice for this?

Thanks!

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I replaced my halogens with these morimotos and no computer flash is needed to get them to work. They started including a resistor in the box that you wire with the lights so they work correctly with the halogen settings. The sequential blinkers work as well.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Guys with the radio interference issue - please give me some details as to when you experience the interference. I'm going to install these on Saturday and i'll see if I can figure out the problem. I'm an electrical engineer and have been successful in quelling interference in pretty much all my car stereo installs in the past, so I think I may be able to help with this too.

Secondly - has anyone installed these on a Sahara without the LED package? Reason I ask is this - there are three different possible lighting situations - Sport without LED (which has no fender DRLs at all), Sahara/Rubicon/80th with LED (which has the LED fender DRLs), and Sahara/Rubicon/80th without LED (which has halogen fender DRLs)...but the Morimoto guide only calls out the first two situations. So does the third count as "LED" or "non-LED"? I can figure this out myself when I do the install but I thought i'd save time and see if anyone else has done this already.

Sponsored

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
TheRaven-
As for the secondly, yes, I installed them on a Sahara - non LED. I'm assuming you have the Morimoto version 2, so just think of them as plug and play. No flash required. Plug them in, mount the resistor, and you're done. But, plan about 3 hours total to do it right. I took the fenders completely off - and that makes it so much easier to install. Make sure you have fender clips because you will most likely break some.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
TheRaven-
As for the secondly, yes, I installed them on a Sahara - non LED. I'm assuming you have the Morimoto version 2, so just think of them as plug and play. No flash required. Plug them in, mount the resistor, and you're done. But, plan about 3 hours total to do it right. I took the fenders completely off - and that makes it so much easier to install. Make sure you have fender clips because you will most likely break some.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any radio interference issues?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
So I installed the the XB's yesterday afternoon. Took me about 4 hours, but I had an extra step that i'll mention in a moment.

First, I found that keeping the fenders on and removing the wheels was the easier way for me. No broken clips or scratched fenders to worry about...and I didn't find it to be any more difficult than the fender off method...except maybe the minor inconvenience of working underneath looking up. Seems to me like a pick-your-poison choice...both options suck just decide which flavor of suck you prefer.

Second, I have ZERO radio static. Now I did do something different like I said I would, however it's hard for me to say if it actually made a difference. Here's what I did - before I started anything, I checked three local radio stations to see how well they came in with the stock lights installed, so i'd have something to compare to after I was done. Then I started the install. My "fix" for the anticipated issue is this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler JL Sequential LED DRL & Turn Signals - Morimoto XB LED 20201204_143932 1

Yup check it out folks, state of the art - three wraps of aluminum foil and some electrical tape to make sure it stays. I then used a tek screw to mount it up in the fender liner void that seems perfectly located for this very use. Theoretically this SHOULD block any electrical emission from the resistor and keep it from reaching the FM antenna. I can't say if it really makes a difference in practice because I don't have a big enough test sample size. But I can say this, my XBs work beautifully and I have no static on any of my local radio stations with the XBs off, on, or blinking.

My other addition to the project was to wire the halo power for my Oracle Oculus headlights to the green wire on the XB harness in the passenger fender so that the Oculus halos operate in perfect sync with the DRLs. Also, no ugly piggyback fuse thing in the fusebox.

So there you go, I hope these tips will help someone. My install turned out awesome and I couldn't ask for anything more.

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Nicely done Raven. Glad you don't mind working looking up - I just don't fit well in that position - lol. I figured the interference was coming from the light unit and not the resistor pack - nice job isolating that and shielding it!

I like the halos on at night too - so wiring to the DRL wasn't an option for me.
Sponsored