First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just plugged the side marker lights into the harness that the original ones were plugged in to as you would expect. No additional steps necessary - they just worked. If you are sure they are plugged in correctly, then I suspect you just have a bad side marker unit.
They're the OEM side markers and both aren't working. I highly doubt they broke in the process of swapping out the turn signals.

Did you experience hyperblinking with the blinker indicator?
Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
No I didn't, but I have a Tazer and had set the DRL light type to LED, so that may be the difference.
The DRLs should already be set to LED since I have the LED package from the factory.

I'm assuming you had the halogens before? I just noticed on the bottom of the installation guide from TRS says that the LED harness only has 5 pins vs 6 pins for the non-LED harness (the missing pin is the one that powers the side markers for JLs with halogens). Looks like I may have to splice some wires to get the side markers to work and perhaps add resistors to fix the hyperblinking.

TMac99

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I'm assuming you had the halogens before?
Yes, I did have the halogens from the factory. Given that you already had LEDs from the factory, maybe the hyperlinking will go away once you get the side marker lights to work.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes, I did have the halogens from the factory. Given that you already had LEDs from the factory, maybe the hyperlinking will go away once you get the side marker lights to work.
I ended up splicing the side markers to feed off pin 4, instead of pin 1 as explained on the bottom of this guide.

They now work but unfortunately the hyperblinking is still happening. I'm gonna wait until I hear back from customer service before adding resistors.

Sponsored

jabtyler

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlur
got mine installed yesterday. I used the tazer to switch to LEDs and I have had no problems. super happy with them. it took me about 2 hours and I did not take the fenders all the way off.

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I ended up splicing the side markers to feed off pin 4, instead of pin 1 as explained on the bottom of this guide.

They now work but unfortunately the hyperblinking is still happening. I'm gonna wait until I hear back from customer service before adding resistors.
Im having the hyperflashing issue as well and my side markers are not working (the sequential turn signals are functional). I have the LED package, how did you get your side markers to work?

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Im having the hyperflashing issue as well and my side markers are not working (the sequential turn signals are functional). I have the LED package, how did you get your side markers to work?
This is from the note on the bottom of the guide: "So for the premium models the side marker needs to be powered off pin 4 not pin 1. This would fix the issue with the side marker not working at all."

Pin 1 is the red wire and Pin 4 is the white wire.

Unfortunately, I can't take a picture of the wires because it's all taped up with electrical tape. However, I was able to invoke my artistic skills in MS Paint to show you how I did it. Hopefully it's clear enough to understand. FYI I used gray for the white wire for visibility. I spliced the red and white wires using these quick splices. Just make sure you close off the other end of the red wire.

Capture.PNG

There are a few ways (probably better) to do this but this is how I did it. As for the hyperflashing issue, you'll have to install resistors. The Retrofit Source (where I ordered the lights from) sent them for free of charge. (see update below)

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage that may occur while performing the steps in this post.

UPDATE: I just installed the resistors I got from The Retrofit Source and they unfortunately did not fix the hyperflashing. Matter of fact, the DRL on the passenger side no longer works. This was the 3rd time I've taken apart the fenders to fix these lights. At this point, I'm probably gonna take em out and return em.

Last edited:

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
This is from the note on the bottom of the guide: "So for the premium models the side marker needs to be powered off pin 4 not pin 1. This would fix the issue with the side marker not working at all."

Unfortunately, I can't take a picture of the wires because it's all taped up with electrical tape. However, I was able to invoke my artistic skills in MS Paint to show you how I did it. Hopefully it's clear enough to understand. FYI I used gray for the white wire for visibility. I spliced the red and white wires using these quick splices. Just make sure you close off the other end of the red wire.

Capture.PNG

There are a few ways (probably better) to do this but this is how I did it. As for the hyperflashing issue, you'll have to install resistors. The Retrofit Source (where I ordered the lights from) sent them for free of charge.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage that may occur while performing the steps in this post.
Fantastic artistic skills for sure :) I was able to get a full understanding of what you meant now. Thank you very much!

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Any updates on hyper flashing issue? I got my side markers to work but I'm still getting the "turn signal out" notification and the hyperflash.

Sponsored

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd

Capture.PNG

There are a few ways (probably better) to do this but this is how I did it. As for the hyperflashing issue, you'll have to install resistors. The Retrofit Source (where I ordered the lights from) sent them for free of charge. (see update below)

UPDATE: I just installed the resistors I got from The Retrofit Source and they unfortunately did not fix the hyperflashing. Matter of fact, the DRL on the passenger side no longer works. This was the 3rd time I've taken apart the fenders to fix these lights. At this point, I'm probably gonna take em out and return em.
Thanks for posting this...I'm having the same issue. I did have 2 questions you may or may not know the answers to:
1. You got this info from the bottom of their guide and it referenced the Premium edition. I was not aware there was a Premium edition. Do you know what the Premium edition has over the "Standard" version?
2. Is the white wire currently connected to anything? Like can I cut both white and red wires and solder the ends together? or should I use the splices you used so I don't completely cut through the white wire?

Thanks again!!!

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Yes as long as you change the turns to be designated as led. I decided not to wait for the fix and just set the attribute using my tazer. Now I use my tazer for many things so this is something that others may not do as it is an added cost.
I tried reading this whole thread but taking too long. Question: I got mine installed last week (original was halogen) and now the turn signal lights stopped working and my dash shows turn signal out. The DRL have been working fine. If I use the tazer and set them to LED will they start working fine or is the tazer only for the jeeps that have the LED package already installed.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for posting this...I'm having the same issue. I did have 2 questions you may or may not know the answers to:
1. You got this info from the bottom of their guide and it referenced the Premium edition. I was not aware there was a Premium edition. Do you know what the Premium edition has over the "Standard" version?
2. Is the white wire currently connected to anything? Like can I cut both white and red wires and solder the ends together? or should I use the splices you used so I don't completely cut through the white wire?

Thanks again!!!
By premium edition, they mean the LED package from the factory. If you have halogen headlights then you won't have to splice anything. If you have the LED package then you have the "premium" edition.

To answer your second question, here are the links that tells you what each wire connects to (since I don't know which headlights you have)

Halogen (Base): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-DRL-RIGHT-BASE-connector-details.pdf
LED (Premium): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-DRL-RIGHT-PREMIUM-connector-details.pdf

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
By premium edition, they mean the LED package from the factory. If you have halogen headlights then you won't have to splice anything. If you have the LED package then you have the "premium" edition.

To answer your second question, here are the links that tells you what each wire connects to (since I don't know which headlights you have)

Halogen (Base): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-DRL-RIGHT-BASE-connector-details.pdf
LED (Premium): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-DRL-RIGHT-PREMIUM-connector-details.pdf
Chris...thanks for the info. I assumed they were talking about the Morimoto lights and not what lighting option my JL has. BTW, I do have the LED option on my Jeep. What I meant in my second question was in regards to the white wire going into the Morimoto light. (I completely understand what you said that the white, pin 4, needs to power the side marker). What I don't know is am I using the Quick Splice to tap into the White wire or can I completely cut through the white wire, solder it to the red, and close off the other end of the white wire that goes to the Morimoto?

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Chris...thanks for the info. I assumed they were talking about the Morimoto lights and not what lighting option my JL has. BTW, I do have the LED option on my Jeep. What I meant in my second question was in regards to the white wire going into the Morimoto light. (I completely understand what you said that the white, pin 4, needs to power the side marker). What I don't know is am I using the Quick Splice to tap into the White wire or can I completely cut through the white wire, solder it to the red, and close off the other end of the white wire that goes to the Morimoto?
Ah I gotcha, yeah I'm not 100% sure what component the white wire powers up for the Morimoto lights. According to the wiring diagram for the base lighting, the white wire pin is supposed to be for the front park lamp. The red wire pin is for the side marker control. I'm not too clear what the difference is between park and side marker lamp so I can't answer your question. However, I can definitely say the quick splice does work and is also less damaging to the wires :)
Sponsored