Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Oh, that info isn't good. But, we wont know, really, for a couple of years, when these "Test Mules" are put through their paces. The customers will be the Guinea Pigs, testing the Test Mules. I was hoping the engine had been out, in Europe for several years, before making its way here.
While unfortunately true, I’ll be putting miles on my 3.0 in AK probably 20-30k per year with a ton of wheeling so y’all will be getting feedback about its issues (or lack there of) relatively quickly.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That article states the least expensive diesel JKU will be $32,900 !!
A US-spec JKU diesel would’ve been cool ;)

Base no-option JLU Sport is $33,290

Adding $6,000 for the diesel brings the lowest possible MSRP to $39,290

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I would think they would at least get the price right, that brief, bright burst of hope, then the
"Real Price" sets in

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I tried (and failed) to find an old thread from way back when the JL was just about to be released by some diesel nuts claiming how much quicker the diesel version would be. If only I could find it now and link those articles above.
Yeah.. I too had those "wait and see" threads.. I will find them.. The ECO is faster than I expected.. I was thinking it would be lucky to get the 7sec range.. so.. good job Jeep.. Now lets see what happens when 37's get placed on those Rubi axles.. will the axles hold up to the new torque and 500+ extra pounds?

wait and see...

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Love to give a diesel a go... but not without a manual.

I think they're made for each other as far as the target audience, the cost and risks are outweighed by the joy of the experience. Making a diesel handling manual would also likely solve the Gladiator manual towing restriction. Win win, and adds a bit of incentive to do it that way as it would also apply an upgrade to the gas engines with the manual, provided they would all happily bolt up.

I'll join your waiting and hoping club.

I gotta say.. the manual mode of the AT is a hoot... something to try, If you have not... most days I run in manual mode, cause I like the control.. And always in manual mode on the trail.. the only thing that I lose is my leg on the clutch and I gain more torque via torque multiplication via the torque converter..

Just a thought to consider..

Sponsored

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
I’m extremely excited for our new JLUR diesel to get here currently have 2 very modified JKs one 2 door and one 4 door Rubicon on 37s and beadlocks and we wheel the hell out of them one with 4.88 gears and one with 5.13 gears and was very disappointed when neither of them would pull our little 2019 Nucamp 320 Boondock RV with out putting a real stress on them and only weighed in at a little over 1800lbs. So the new one will be highly modified as well and with the extra power it should do exactly what we are looking for it to do. I’m a mechanic for 20 years love diesel Ive owned a lot of them around 10 trucks and a 2012 VW TDI Jetta that we absolutely loved and highly modified 400ft/lbs until they bought it back for 18k. I’m not worried about fuel cost or maintenance I can handle that I have my reservations about being one of the first but someone has to be. I’ve got a shop full of parts ready to be installed and it’s going straight to 38s and beads.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I’m extremely excited for our new JLUR diesel to get here currently have 2 very modified JKs one 2 door and one 4 door Rubicon on 37s and beadlocks and we wheel the hell out of them one with 4.88 gears and one with 5.13 gears and was very disappointed when neither of them would pull our little 2019 Nucamp 320 Boondock RV with out putting a real stress on them and only weighed in at a little over 1800lbs. So the new one will be highly modified as well and with the extra power it should do exactly what we are looking for it to do. I’m a mechanic for 20 years love diesel Ive owned a lot of them around 10 trucks and a 2012 VW TDI Jetta that we absolutely loved and highly modified 400ft/lbs until they bought it back for 18k. I’m not worried about fuel cost or maintenance I can handle that I have my reservations about being one of the first but someone has to be. I’ve got a shop full of parts ready to be installed and it’s going straight to 38s and beads.
Thank you for being willing to share... looking forward to some real wheelin with a Eco, 38's and beads.. lots of folks don't realize the loads these combinations place on the power train, especially with close to 70:1 gearing.. I remember blowing up many dana 60 combos when airing down with real sticking tires on the rocks with a stock 350TBI.. and blowing several 700R4's up the shaver grade (CA) in the sierras pulling a small 16 ft power boat , let alone an ECO beast... fun journeys ahead :) for sure..

If yours holds up, I may trade mine in...

Keep us posted..

TC

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Well, I read through all the posting and it went from talking about the new diesel to fighting! Yikes!
I would like to talk about the new diesel.

I currently own a JLUR 3.6, 37” tires, that has been completely modified for my type of use. I have owned it for roughly 17 months, it currently has 27,000 miles on it, around 15,000 miles are from hard off road.
I have a diesel on order, I went to the auto show to check one out in person and one thing that was screaming at me, that looks like it could be a problem was what looks like the deff tank hanging low on the driver side rear end of the vehicle. Yes, there is a skid plate on it, yet I can see myself hammering that thing a lot. My JLUR has the steel bumpers and my right rear bumper is bent up to the point there is almost no gap between it and the body from landing on rocks.
I have hit the spare tire a few times to the point I thought it was going to be ripped off or brake my back window.

Yet for my type of use the better gas mileage it going to be a major plus. Here is why, my JLUR is getting between 15-16 MPG HWY and 11-13 off road, I average between 3-7 days a month off road camping, each trip is between 400 - 1,000+ miles. Our trips have to be planned around filling up every few days or carrying extra fuel.
If I can squeeze 20-25 MPG out of the new diesel the extra $4k will be paid for in 1-2 years.
This would also cut what it cost me every month for my trips right out of the gate.

Not having to plan our trips around getting fuel means we can stay on the dirt longer.
One of my buddies who has. JKUR changed out his gears two years ago at a cost of $1400, the new gears only added a few extra miles to his MPG and way better power. After one year he did the math of the cost of gears vs fuel. He was ahead by $200 for the year. This does not seem like that much, yet it did pay off after just one year.
For someone like myself who looks ahead three to five years I can see the diesel saving me a lot of money in the long run. This means more money for my upgrades! Lol lol

I read some folks saying the diesel could have problems. I completely agree it could, yet my JLUR has been in and out of the dealership almost every month for problems. Blown bearings in the rear end, oil and trans leaks, wind noise, door seals not working, and the one problem that just keeps coming back has been with the radio. It’s been in around 13 times for just the radio going nuts. The latest over the air update everyone got was due to my radio. FCA engineers have been working with the dealership and myself trying to figure out what is causing the problems. The latest spitball was to replace a computer behind the glovebox, vacuum any dust us, check all the connection points. I give it a month before it goes crazy on me again.

I for one am looking forward to the diesel.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well, I read through all the posting and it went from talking about the new diesel to fighting! Yikes!

I currently own a JLUR 3.6, 37” tires, that has been completely modified for my type of use. I have owned it for roughly 17 months, it currently has 27,000 miles on it, around 15,000 miles are from hard off road.
I have a diesel on order, I went to the auto show to check one out in person and one thing that was screaming at me, that looks like it could be a problem was what looks like the deff tank hanging low on the driver side rear end of the vehicle. Yes, there is a skid plate on it, yet I can see myself hammering that thing a lot. My JLUR has the steel bumpers and my right rear bumper is bent up to the point there is almost no gap between it and the body from landing on rocks.
I have hit the spare tire a few times to the point I thought it was going to be ripped off or brake my back window.

Yet for my type of use the better gas mileage it going to be a major plus. Here is why, my JLUR is getting between 15-16 MPG HWY and 11-13 off road, I average between 3-7 days a month off road camping, each trip is between 400 - 1,000+ miles. Our trips have to be planned around filling up every few days or carrying extra fuel.
If I can squeeze 20-25 MPG out of the new diesel the extra $4k will be paid for in 1-2 years.
This would also cut what it cost me every month for my trips right out of the gate.

Not having to plan our trips around getting fuel means we can stay on the dirt longer.
One of my buddies who has. JKUR changed out his gears two years ago at a cost of $1400, the new gears only added a few extra miles to his MPG and way better power. After one year he did the math of the cost of gears vs fuel. He was ahead by $200 for the year. This does not seem like that much, yet it did pay off after just one year.
For someone like myself who looks ahead three to five years I can see the diesel saving me a lot of money in the long run. This means more money for my upgrades! Lol lol

I read some folks saying the diesel could have problems. I completely agree it could, yet my JLUR has been in and out of the dealership almost every month for problems. Blown bearings in the rear end, oil and trans leaks, wind noise, door seals not working, and the one problem that just keeps coming back has been with the radio. It’s been in around 13 times for just the radio going nuts. The latest over the air update everyone got was due to my radio. FCA engineers have been working with the dealership and myself trying to figure out what is causing the problems. The latest spitball was to replace a computer behind the glovebox, vacuum any dust us, check all the connection points. I give it a month before it goes crazy on me again.

looks like you will be putting it through its paces, when you get the diesel.

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
Thank you for being willing to share... looking forward to some real wheelin with a Eco, 38's and beads.. lots of folks don't realize the loads these combinations place on the power train, especially with close to 70:1 gearing.. I remember blowing up many dana 60 combos when airing down with real sticking tires on the rocks with a stock 350TBI.. and blowing several 700R4's up the shaver grade (CA) in the sierras pulling a small 16 ft power boat , let alone an ECO beast... fun journeys ahead :) for sure..

If yours holds up, I may trade mine in...

Keep us posted..

TC
Absolutely man but it definitely has some Dynatrac axles in its future but I’ve done everything you can do to my current D44 as far as trussing it beefing up mounts and C gussets chromoly axles and it’s held up for 3 years of hard wheelin but it’s also how you drive when doing it I’m a full send but I know when not to let parts bind up or get to much of a load on them with bouncing and things. I just seen EVO build up a JT with stock axles housings and run the Baja 1000 and finished but same that was fully trussed and welded up. I’m definitely building this new one for some adventures pulling my RV from Texas to Moab wheeling it and driving it home so we will see it may get bigger axles sooner than later if anything just for piece of mind lol. So excited to have a diesel in a wrangler now if I can get one I a Tacoma I could die happy .

Sponsored

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK

Man I’m right there with you my 2015 JKUR is not a daily it spends most of its time on the trails and weekends running around to jeep meets or just enjoying the drive I myself am concerned with the DEF tank on my current Jeep I’ve removed the muffler from it current spot in the rear to a custom one that is under the driver rear floorboard in the factory silencer or what ever that thing is that looks like another muffler lol than it’s dumped up high at the rear bumper so no contact can be made. That being said as soon as they hit the aftermarket will get skids for it I’m sure and if not I’ll make my own. My plan is to run it through 3 tanks of DEF so approximately 30k miles and pray someone comes out with some deleting software and parts living in Texas we don’t test emission on diesels so I want to get rid of all of it and if it makes it 30k miles with no issues I’m good with it.

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Man I’m right there with you my 2015 JKUR is not a daily it spends most of its time on the trails and weekends running around to jeep meets or just enjoying the drive I myself am concerned with the DEF tank on my current Jeep I’ve removed the muffler from it current spot in the rear to a custom one that is under the driver rear floorboard in the factory silencer or what ever that thing is that looks like another muffler lol than it’s dumped up high at the rear bumper so no contact can be made. That being said as soon as they hit the aftermarket will get skids for it I’m sure and if not I’ll make my own. My plan is to run it through 3 tanks of DEF so approximately 30k miles and pray someone comes out with some deleting software and parts living in Texas we don’t test emission on diesels so I want to get rid of all of it and if it makes it 30k miles with no issues I’m good with it.
That sounds like a good plan.
Glad to hear your using your JKUR the same as I.
For myself I’ll need a fix right away. I have a photo somewhere of my OD reading all 6666666, this happened when it had 1,000 miles and I was off roading. I think my Jeep was telling me to lighten up on it. Lol
I live in CA where they strangle the crap out of a diesel motor and I get why they do this. I'm thankful that FCA took the time and money to develop this product for the rest of us.
do you have a build date for yours yet?
Mine was given a vin, no build date.
I love my JLUR however I’m working on a buy back on it due to the crazy radio problem it keeps having. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy that anyone would want a manufacturer to buy their vehicle back over a radio, right? Well, one of the on going problems of my radio is, the volume will come on full blast and no way to turn it off or down. Eventually The on/off button on the dash will allow it to be muted, if left overnight the batter will be dead the next day. Now imagine your on a cellphone call with a client/boss where that call represents 25% of your annual income when this happens.

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
For myself I’ll need a fix right away. I have a photo somewhere of my OD reading all 6666666, this happened when it had 1,000 miles and I was off roading. I think my Jeep was telling me to lighten up on it. Lol
I live in CA where they strangle the crap out of a diesel motor and I get why they do this. I'm thankful that FCA took the time and money to develop this product for the rest of us.
I love my JLUR however I’m working on a buy back on it due to the crazy radio problem it keeps having. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy that anyone would want a manufacturer to buy their vehicle back over a radio, right? Well, one of the on going problems of my radio is, the volume will come on full blast and no way to turn it off or down. Eventually The on/off button on the dash will allow it to be muted, if left overnight the batter will be dead the next day. Now imagine your on a cellphone call with a client/boss where that call represents 25% of your annual income when this happens.
I don’t have a build date yet I ordered it October 17th and I check on it every Monday it’s at D1 status at the moment. I’ve never heard of a radio issue like that it’s crazy for sure.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Damn that suck, Hopefully they buy back with no issues. When did you order your Diesel?

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
I ordered on 10/18. Jeep Chat person told me today that most orders are in D1 now so they anticipate start of production very soon.

Who knows for sure. She did confirm no diesels have been built yet.
Sponsored