First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Bans? That may be a goal but there will be negatives and environmental/habitat consequences changing the world’s infrastructure from fuel driven to alternative fuel/multi source “Free” energy. It seems the agenda has taken a life of its own and grows to justify its existence. JMO. The best way to minimize habitat and environmental impact (assuming no 3 mile island type incident) would be as many nuclear power plants as needed. I’d prefer that over ugly ass windmills and solar panels that, if enough to actually meet demand and replace Fossil fuel, would cover wide swaths off land and ruin habitats and eliminate environment. What happened to the green types/conservationists? The tree people? It’s seems they’ve been silenced. There needs to be balance. The climate has always changed. Always will until the end. How much is the fault of humankind?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I worry that rock crawling or slow trail work will also trigger a ton of regen's just like stop and go.....
It will. At low speeds diesels produce more soot which requires more regens which lowers MPG and ultimately shortens the DPF life (which is considered a wear item). Modern diesels are made for highway use, not stop and go or low speed operation.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that they took away the lifetime warranty on powertrain made me not go with the diesel. I went with the 3.6. The idea was for me to keep the diesel for as long as possible and not worry about any costly issues related to the emissions systems etc. Imagine you run out of warranty and need to fix something on the diesel, first of all, it is hard to find a great mechanic for diesels. Also, if you decided to delete the emissions system then I don’t know if it would pass the emissions test. The diesel would’ve been fantastic for bigger tires and heavier bumpers and payload etc. but in the end the warranty drove me away from the unknown into something that’s been proven and easily fixable.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I would like the Tesla Power Wall battery storage, solar panels, and truly be an Energy Island.
Re Carrington, I'll keep my 1954 M38A1 ....

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
The fact that they took away the lifetime warranty on powertrain made me not go with the diesel. I went with the 3.6. The idea was for me to keep the diesel for as long as possible and not worry about any costly issues related to the emissions systems etc. Imagine you run out of warranty and need to fix something on the diesel, first of all, it is hard to find a great mechanic for diesels. Also, if you decided to delete the emissions system then I don’t know if it would pass the emissions test. The diesel would’ve been fantastic for bigger tires and heavier bumpers and payload etc. but in the end the warranty drove me away from the unknown into something that’s been proven and easily fixable.
I ordered the JL Diesel and I own 2 other diesels...in the state of Texas they don't test for emissions and state inspections are much cheaper because of the diesel. I have never had any issues with the emission systems of either one. One does run BluDef and I have never had a problem. I get it serviced by the dealer and I have never had a problem.

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
The fact that they took away the lifetime warranty on powertrain made me not go with the diesel. I went with the 3.6.
:surprised: Lifetime warranty on the engine... We get 2 year only on the entire Vehicle down here, and we don't even have the opportunity to offroad as much as you folks!

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trying to pull off dynamic tunes to cheat the regs in real world driving? Amazing. Nearly all of the statist west is marching toward blanket bans of ICE vehicles, gas included, so singling out diesel is a bit myopic as it pertains to regulatory trends. I find it fascinating how people are willing to lap up what a bunch of unelected/unaccountable hacks tell them is great for the environment. Go ahead and enjoy your 2.0’s CO2 production, but don’t justify it by pretending the 3.0’s environmental impact is somehow worse. Just curious, how many kids do you have?
The NOx pollution from Diesel vehicles, even ones that don't blatantly defeat the testing mechanisms, is atrociously bad and is already more directly causal to the deaths of humans than CO2.

It's why Paris had to declare car free days with 1/4 of the vehicles that Manhattan has. The emissions from diesel are not even close to being clean or ecologically friendly unless your only measure is CO2 production (which is batshit insane).

Diesel has been a disaster.

All that being said...I'm fine with Jeep offering a diesel. Just stop saying it better for the environment when there isn't any tangible proof of that.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trying to pull off dynamic tunes to cheat the regs in real world driving? Amazing.
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trustworthy? Amazing.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
As we start seeing more electric vehicles on the road, not much thought has been given to the environmental impact disposing of those batteries. Those batteries can be recycled, but it is a very expensive proposition.

Also you got to look at what's happening to the older Tesla cars, all of the electronics just quit working for no reason. I'm a bit Leary of the batteries too because of their fire risks.

Based on these reasons, I am betting that the diesel will be around.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the diesel for the torque and highway range. Full Stop. CO2, NOx, handling DEF, replacing the DPF, etc. are OK with me.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trustworthy? Amazing.
Yea I can just about guarantee you from talking to industry people that they heard the message loud and clear. But if you’re so convinced otherwise, feel free to come back and tell me about it the next time there’s a diesel emissions scandal in the news...I’ll wait.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The NOx pollution from Diesel vehicles, even ones that don't blatantly defeat the testing mechanisms, is atrociously bad and is already more directly causal to the deaths of humans than CO2.

It's why Paris had to declare car free days with 1/4 of the vehicles that Manhattan has. The emissions from diesel are not even close to being clean or ecologically friendly unless your only measure is CO2 production (which is batshit insane).

Diesel has been a disaster.

All that being said...I'm fine with Jeep offering a diesel. Just stop saying it better for the environment when there isn't any tangible proof of that.
Find me a single peer reviewed medical research paper finding that current US NOx emissions limits (0.2-0.6 g/mi) or PM emissions limits (0.04-0.08 g/mi) will yield environmental concentrations of either causing cancer, asthma exacerbations, or COPD exacerbations. Again, I’ll wait. The problem with most journalists, especially the ultra-biased folks at Vox is that they don’t have adequate education and/or intelligence to understand the topics on which they report. Some understand the facts fully and intentionally mislead the public to sell advertisements. If you want truth, get yourself closer to the underlying science and figure out which category your favorite journalist fits into...assuming you are capable of understanding the validity and applicability of scientific research.

ETA, still wondering how many kids you have.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The more I hear about how bad Diesels are, for everything, the more I want one. The sky is not falling. The oceans aren't rising. Plastic Straws aren't killing dolphins. We arent having another Global Ice Age. We aren't having global warming. The polar caps and glaciers arent melting and flooding the world. Solar panels are expensive, and cause pollution to produce, and dont work as well as proposed.
Oh, for all you snowflakes: its called "the four seasons(spring, summer, fall, winter)" , not climate change.
Also, batteries are not so great to the environment. I've seen how they are recycled, and those sites are deemed toxic, after they are finished, and inspected. How expensive are those battery packs, on those wonderful electric cars, when the batteries crap out?

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more I hear about how bad Diesels are, for everything, the more I want one. The sky is not falling. The oceans aren't rising. Plastic Straws aren't killing dolphins. We arent having another Global Ice Age. We aren't having global warming. The polar caps and glaciers arent melting and flooding the world. Solar panels are expensive, and cause pollution to produce, and dont work as well as proposed.
Oh, for all you snowflakes: its called "the four seasons(spring, summer, fall, winter)" , not climate change.
Also, batteries are not so great to the environment. I've seen how they are recycled, and those sites are deemed toxic, after they are finished, and inspected. How expensive are those battery lacks, on those wonderful electric cars, when the batteries crap out?
You and the rest of us are entitled to our own opinions as to how we address human impacts on the environment, but facts are not a matter of opinion. The earth is warmer than it was 50 years ago, sea levels are higher, the glaciers are receding (come wheel in AK with me if you want to see it in action), and humans are responsible for part of it. I agree that current electric technology gets an inappropriate pass for its overall impact but think bigger. Most statists are using this issue (don’t care what people choose to call it) as a means of enriching themselves with power and/or money. Some are completely ignorant as to the overall impact of their proposals, but they’re just useful idiots for the true criminals in the halls of power around the world. Focus your energy here rather than denying facts.
Sponsored