Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Land Rover Defender X
More reviews rolling out...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/05/2020-jeep-wrangler-ecodiesel-drivers-notes/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/business/jeep-ecodiesel-engine.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/take-a-look-at-the-new-jeep-wrangler-ecodiesel-2019-12-04

Probably the most interesting piece of information is autoblog’s combined fuel economy...even if that’s a generous computer calculation, it’s impressive.
The marketwatch review states at the very end of the article “The Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel is in dealerships now.”

Ha! We only wish...

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
The marketwatch review states at the very end of the article “The Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel is in dealerships now.”

Ha! We only wish...
That cracked me up. I see people stating they are in D1 status and I know I ordered before them. I was in D1 status a month ago and have gone back and forth between C and D 2 different times.

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I dont get why people are complaining and trying to justify the diesel..

We now have 3 engine choices in the wrangler! Each engine is awesome in its own way.. Each engine does something the other cant do.. Just look at what you can afford, look at your needs and make a wise decision.. I would say 2020 is the best year for Jeep and the off-road community

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I just checked the inventory across CA.. no 3.0's on the lots yet...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Some new video reviews added:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm still saying it's the perfect match to the 6 speed!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I tried (and failed) to find an old thread from way back when the JL was just about to be released by some diesel nuts claiming how much quicker the diesel version would be. If only I could find it now and link those articles above.

Just sayin.gif

A.DiVe1

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Okay, I'm writing this post because I think this will be useful to any serious Jeep diesel potential customers. I finally found a Diesel wrangler at a dealership. I have been looking for a diesel wrangler to test drive, to personally see if what has been reported on the blog/vlogs/magazines to be true or not. Also, to experience if the so called magazine/online vlogs experts on cars/trucks were telling the truth or embellishing or just making stuff up.

So, everyone understands, I'm not an expert, I am a regular guy who owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK, who plans on purchasing a diesel wrangler. I also sell diesel motors, but that doesn't make me an expert. It does however make me very skeptical of so called experts and people with strong opinions.

I found a Diesel Jeep Wrangler Rubicon at a Chicago area dealership. The day that I test drove, it was 27-29 degrees and sunny. The dealership is in an urban area with frequent stop and go traffic, and city type driving and access to an expressway. Chicago is roughly 600 feet above sea level. The dealership was kind enough to allow me to inspect, run, listen to this diesel and then test drive this diesel wrangler for well over an hour and a half.

This is my impressions;

Noise - At idle the motor noise was quiet. I listened to the noise while standing at the hood, with the hood open and closed, and at the exhaust pipe. I also sat in the drivers seat, front and rear passenger seats, and found the noise to be no louder than my 3.6 ltr Pentastar motor. But, it clearly sounds like a diesel, a quiet one. While driving it, I noticed that it was no louder than my current Jeep while having the windows up, but the only difference is that it sounds like a diesel. With the windows down while driving, and with the wind noise the diesel motor clatter disappears, just the as my gas Wrangler. This surprised me, because of what I have watched and read from other reviews they implied that it was louder than the gas Jeep Wrangler. I guess if you are looking to have this diesel motor sound the same as a gas motor, then buy the 3.6 ltr. or 2 ltr. turbo. gas motor, but if you are worried about noise, to me they both make equal amount of noise. This was not a scientific study and I didn't use a calibrated sound level meter. So, take it for what it's worth...

Driving - The power of the motor and the smoothness of the 8 speed transmission was impressive., much better than my JK 3.6 Pentastar. When comparing the diesel JL to a 3.6 ltr. JL or a 2 ltr. turbo JL, again, I believe there is a noticeable difference between the power (torque) of the diesel. I noticed this while I was doing stop and go traffic and while on the highway, and this is a welcome difference. There was no diesel lag or turbo lag, it was power when I wanted it.

Mileage - I drove over 40 miles. You will notice in the picture that my trip mileage was 20.6, but I reset the trip computer twice to see if there would be a change with the MPG, so that's why the trip and my stated miles don't add up. There is a few things I'd like to mention before I give you the average MPG, and it has to do with my driving habits. I'm an average driver. I typically drive 5-7 mph over the speed limit and I keep up with traffic. I don't race to the next stop light or stop sign, and I'm not out make it to the next destination in record time. I drive a Jeep Wrangler... This said, my sustained average mpg was 32.4. Yes, 32.4 MPG! This was real word driving on city streets, with stop and go traffic, along with 21 miles of highway driving, at highway speeds (5-7 mph over). IMPRESSIVE!!! Note; the MPG was off of the on board vehicle computer and not me calculating it.

Cost - The list price of the diesel motor is $4,000 more than the gas 3.6 Pentastar, and the transmission is less $750 than the trans paired with the 3.6 Pentastar, costing $3,250 more to go to the diesel (but, NO one pays list price). Note: This does not take into account the manual trans, this is motor for motor and automatic trans for automatic trans (most wranglers are sold and built with automatic transmissions (if anyone has REAL numbers of how many automatics vs. manual transmissions please post, because I tried finding the exact numbers but couldn't))

In summary, noise of diesel is the same or no change + power (torque) + real world MPG (32.4 mpg) = Impressed

IMG_9782.jpg

Sponsored

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota 4runner SR5
Okay, I'm writing this post because I think this will be useful to any serious Jeep diesel potential customers. I finally found a Diesel wrangler at a dealership. I have been looking for a diesel wrangler to test drive, to personally see if what has been reported on the blog/vlogs/magazines to be true or not. Also, to experience if the so called magazine/online vlogs experts on cars/trucks were telling the truth or embellishing or just making stuff up.

So, everyone understands, I'm not an expert, I am a regular guy who owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK, who plans on purchasing a diesel wrangler. I also sell diesel motors, but that doesn't make me an expert. It does however make me very skeptical of so called experts and people with strong opinions.

I found a Diesel Jeep Wrangler Rubicon at a Chicago area dealership. The day that I test drove, it was 27-29 degrees and sunny. The dealership is in an urban area with frequent stop and go traffic, and city type driving and access to an expressway. Chicago is roughly 600 feet above sea level. The dealership was kind enough to allow me to inspect, run, listen to this diesel and then test drive this diesel wrangler for well over an hour and a half.

This is my impressions;

Noise - At idle the motor noise was quiet. I listened to the noise while standing at the hood, with the hood open and closed, and at the exhaust pipe. I also sat in the drivers seat, front and rear passenger seats, and found the noise to be no louder than my 3.6 ltr Pentastar motor. But, it clearly sounds like a diesel, a quiet one. While driving it, I noticed that it was no louder than my current Jeep while having the windows up, but the only difference is that it sounds like a diesel. With the windows down while driving, and with the wind noise the diesel motor clatter disappears, just the as my gas Wrangler. This surprised me, because of what I have watched and read from other reviews they implied that it was louder than the gas Jeep Wrangler. I guess if you are looking to have this diesel motor sound the same as a gas motor, then buy the 3.6 ltr. or 2 ltr. turbo. gas motor, but if you are worried about noise, to me they both make equal amount of noise. This was not a scientific study and I didn't use a calibrated sound level meter. So, take it for what it's worth...

Driving - The power of the motor and the smoothness of the 8 speed transmission was impressive., much better than my JK 3.6 Pentastar. When comparing the diesel JL to a 3.6 ltr. JL or a 2 ltr. turbo JL, again, I believe there is a noticeable difference between the power (torque) of the diesel. I noticed this while I was doing stop and go traffic and while on the highway, and this is a welcome difference. There was no diesel lag or turbo lag, it was power when I wanted it.

Mileage - I drove over 40 miles. You will notice in the picture that my trip mileage was 20.6, but I reset the trip computer twice to see if there would be a change with the MPG, so that's why the trip and my stated miles don't add up. There is a few things I'd like to mention before I give you the average MPG, and it has to do with my driving habits. I'm an average driver. I typically drive 5-7 mph over the speed limit and I keep up with traffic. I don't race to the next stop light or stop sign, and I'm not out make it to the next destination in record time. I drive a Jeep Wrangler... This said, my sustained average mpg was 32.4. Yes, 32.4 MPG! This was real word driving on city streets, with stop and go traffic, along with 21 miles of highway driving, at highway speeds (5-7 mph over). IMPRESSIVE!!! Note; the MPG was off of the on board vehicle computer and not me calculating it.

Cost - The list price of the diesel motor is $4,000 more than the gas 3.6 Pentastar, and the transmission is less $750 than the trans paired with the 3.6 Pentastar, costing $3,250 more to go to the diesel (but, NO one pays list price). Note: This does not take into account the manual trans, this is motor for motor and automatic trans for automatic trans (most wranglers are sold and built with automatic transmissions (if anyone has REAL numbers of how many automatics vs. manual transmissions please post, because I tried finding the exact numbers but couldn't))

In summary, noise of diesel is the same or no change + power (torque) + real world MPG (32.4 mpg) = Impressed

IMG_9782.jpg
Take note, because that is how you do a post, my friends! Well done.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel
I recently brought home a Rubicon ecodiesel and now have just over 500 miles of city driving on it. The Wrangler came with dealer installed lift kit and 37 inch tires on 20 inch wheels. So far, the city driving on these 37s has resulted in 21mpg avg over the 500 miles. I haven't taken it off road yet, so have no comments to share in that regard.
My previous vehicle was a 2018 Rubicon with the 2.0 turbo, which was quite nice, but I was always a bit disappointed with the engine sound, which I referred to as a sewing machine. The diesel engine has a much better, and deeper voice. I think I'm going to like this new ride!

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
This threads on a Jeep forum about jeeps crack me up. Go put 37s on both equally built gasser and diesel then talk. Diesel might need 4:10s but that’s not happening on a gasser. Smaller teeth. Less reliability when it counts and where it counts. Diesel I’m guessing will still get better mileage for those who care which to some extent includes me but not the deciding factor.

Wranglers drag racing is hilarious. Perhaps in my youth. I raced everything except my wrangler. That dog was slower then a go cart.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The more I think about it the more it seems upgrading to diesel isn't worth it. The complexity of the emissions system, the higher cost of maintenance, the higher cost of operating and fewer reliable diesel engine mechanics. I wonder when we'll see the announcement for Electric Jeep.

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
The more I think about it the more it seems upgrading to diesel isn't worth it. The complexity of the emissions system, the higher cost of maintenance, the higher cost of operating and fewer reliable diesel engine mechanics. I wonder when we'll see the announcement for Electric Jeep.
The diesel is not truly released yet.. give it time, there will be ways to delete the crap emission systems!

The question you need to ask yourself is: will it be worth it to pay $58K for a brand new jeep and delete the emission systems and drive WITHOUT a warranty??

For me, it would be worth it!
Sponsored