Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Some people just need to get off their "Soap Box". @JLURD , I think I've figured you out, and I stand by my previous comment. Emphatically.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now, back on topic.

More videos of how the diesel Jeep sounds and interior, exterior

Is it just me, or does this diesel sound like diesels did many years ago, LOUD ???
Now, I had a 2000 Dodge 2500, with a Cummins Diesel in it, that sounded just like that. I didn't mind, at the time, except you couldnt order at a drive-though, without turning the engine off. Or, carry on a conversation, outside the truck, with the engine on.
I since traded it in, on a 2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel, that is much quieter, but not anywhere near as quiet as the new ones. I'm kind of liking the quiet diesels more. Now, @Sean K. , I would like to pick your brain, on what all you've done to your 2006 Dodge. I'm going to use mine for towing, in the near future. It has around 185,000 miles on it, and I've owned it since new. So, it's been taken care of, not abused.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine's an '02....last year of the Dana 60/hybrid 80 combo, the front 60 doesn't use CAD and is like the TJ front axle, NV5600 6 speed, HD NP242 with PTO. Owned since new, 505 ft-lbs, 245 hp.

I've done nothing to it. I used to work for SDHQ....saw tons of customers modding the heck out of all the diesels. I just wanted a reliable tow rig so I left it alone other than making a set of bumpers for it that allow me to carry 20' sticks of tubing down the passenger side if I don't want to hook up the trailer.
Sorry, I thought you had modded yours. I know @Frostbit did, but his is heavily modded.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Some people just need to get off their "Soap Box". @JLURD , I think I've figured you out, and I stand by my previous comment. Emphatically.
Forums are not intended to foment the distribution of nonsense information by people pretending to understand that which they clearly do not. If It helps you sleep at night pretending that adherents to libertarian principles bear some resemblance to Al Gore, knock yourself out. People believe far more detrimental lies than that around here.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Good lord, the one article even states that there aren't enough facts to support a link between NOx and health issues. The only paper, and I use that term very loosely, that even tried to substantiate Diesel emissions and a link to bad health is the one that has been laughed at repeatedly for not even considering the fact that the same countries who have a higher rate of lung cancer also have twice as many smokers. And they are all basing their information on old technology. The actual output of a modern Diesel with Tier 4 Final technology like DPF, SCR, and other processes make the Diesel exhaust much cleaner than that of a gasoline engine with similar output. The only downsides are that the setup is still so new that it is not as reliable as older Diesel technology. And it is not as efficient as older technology.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Now, back on topic.

Is it just me, or does this diesel sound like diesels did many years ago, LOUD ???
Now, I had a 2000 Dodge 2500, with a Cummins Diesel in it, that sounded just like that. I didn't mind, at the time, except you couldnt order at a drive-though, without turning the engine off. Or, carry on a conversation, outside the truck, with the engine on.
The media folks who drove it seem to think the wind noise at speed is substantially more than engine noise, at least inside. Outside I think it sounds like a proper turbodiesel...it’s too bad the DPF mutes most of the exhaust tone. I’m sure there are plenty of folks who want more refinement out of their $50-60k Jeep, but there are GCs for that imho.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The actual output of a modern Diesel with Tier 4 Final technology like DPF, SCR, and other processes make the Diesel exhaust much cleaner than that of a gasoline engine with similar output. The only downsides are that the setup is still so new that it is not as reliable as older Diesel technology. And it is not as efficient as older technology.
True - as long as it is not deleted or "tuned" thereby removing that benefit and many diesel owners do exactly that.

Newer Mercedes vehicles have gasoline particulate filters on them and I would expect other OEMs to follow suit thereby widening the gap again between diesel and gasoline emission technology and cost.

In the end, modern diesels are not made for low speed or stop and go operation so time will tell how this engine works under those conditions.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What all vehicles have used this exact diesel engine, and what is the reliability history with it?? That is, with all the emissions junk on it.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
What all vehicles have used this exact diesel engine, and what is the reliability history with it?? That is, with all the emissions junk on it.
This particular engine with this emissions set up is new for the year. It is shared with the Ram 1500, and Grand Cherokee. And while they have had a version of this engine before, this setup is new for everyone.

However I feel like I should point out that a lot of the "known" issues with the past 3.0 have been carried over. The timing gears are still pressed on, instead of using a positive way to index them. And they still use the same Bosch pumps, which are hit or miss. But when they miss, they really eat things up in a costly manner.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This particular engine with this emissions set up is new for the year. It is shared with the Ram 1500, and Grand Cherokee. And while they have had a version of this engine before, this setup is new for everyone.

However I feel like I should point out that a lot of the "known" issues with the past 3.0 have been carried over. The timing gears are still pressed on, instead of using a positive way to index them. And they still use the same Bosch pumps, which are hit or miss. But when they miss, they really eat things up in a costly manner.
Oh, that info isn't good. But, we wont know, really, for a couple of years, when these "Test Mules" are put through their paces. The customers will be the Guinea Pigs, testing the Test Mules. I was hoping the engine had been out, in Europe for several years, before making its way here.

Frankencar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want JLURD. Have JKUR, 10 VW's and Dad's Willys Pickup.

Have a deep dive into that cam gear thing - there aren't any known failures out there - only the theory that it would fail based on the lack of positive indexing. For over 40 years VW diesels have never had keys, and never had issues either. And just think - Cummins just celebrated the 3 millionth ram diesel engine produced, and VW had a scandal on 11 million diesels produced between 2009 and 2015. I bet over 30 million VW diesel engines have existed, and the friction fit isn't an issue, just like the FCA diesel. The Bosch CP4.XX pumps are indeed a bit sensitive to fuel quality and have cause problems in every engine design they've been used on... It'd be nice if manufacturers would spend a few extra $$ on the more expensive CP3 designs as they have proven far more reliable - a tough task for a pump making 20,000+ PSI. I do wonder though how many of these failed pumps were run really low on fuel often, or had the filter changed without proving the pump properly though - it seems both are VERY common based on the chatter in the forums and facebook pages packed with cheapskate owners who ensure "it'll be fine - just fill the filter and crank till it fires!"

The diesel will definitely be for a small percentage of customers as the price is high as is the risk with all the complex emissions equipment and known fuel system sensitivity. For those with deep pockets who favor torque or range over cost it will be a no brainer, but for most the 3.6 and 2.0 will be more appealing, and rightfully so for those with short commutes, cheap fuel, and no intent to keep the vehicle long term, among other reasons.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel