Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

JLUfan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
How so? The 2.0’s 295 lb/ft exceeds the torque capacity of JL’s Aisin transmission.
My bad. I misread a post on page 1, and thought the limit was 370, but that’s NM, only 273 lb ft.

I therefore revise my plea and wish they would “beef up” (Mike Manley’s words at JL intro 2 years ago referring to the diesel version of the auto) the 6MT to be suitable for the better engines. If a 6 or 7 MT can fit in a Porsche, Vette, or Mustang and take the torque, there is no excuse here.

Advertisement

rommel102

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
So burning 30% less fossil fuels and producing CO2 emissions on par with an electric vehicle running on the US power grid, all while conforming to the lunacy of modern NOx and particulate emissions is neither eco nor clean? We truly live in a post-truth world.
The part where you claim they actually conform to NOx emissions is where I call bullshit.

How many auto companies were found to be scamming the tests? How many fail to live up to spec under real world conditions?

There is a reason that even Diesel-crazy Europe is moving hard away from Diesel. Just like "clean coal" the entire concept is just marketing. Throw in the issues with short-cycle regen and Diesel is not worth the cost at all.

EV is the future.

BTW, I get 24mpg with the Turbo 4 currently.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I think hybrid is as good as it’ll get but FCA is onto something with the generator driven (very smooth) start stop in conjunction with reclaiming what would have been wasted mechanical energy as a result of the combustion process.

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The part where you claim they actually conform to NOx emissions is where I call bullshit.

How many auto companies were found to be scamming the tests? How many fail to live up to spec under real world conditions?

There is a reason that even Diesel-crazy Europe is moving hard away from Diesel. Just like "clean coal" the entire concept is just marketing. Throw in the issues with short-cycle regen and Diesel is not worth the cost at all.

EV is the future.

BTW, I get 24mpg with the Turbo 4 currently.
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trying to pull off dynamic tunes to cheat the regs in real world driving? Amazing. Nearly all of the statist west is marching toward blanket bans of ICE vehicles, gas included, so singling out diesel is a bit myopic as it pertains to regulatory trends. I find it fascinating how people are willing to lap up what a bunch of unelected/unaccountable hacks tell them is great for the environment. Go ahead and enjoy your 2.0’s CO2 production, but don’t justify it by pretending the 3.0’s environmental impact is somehow worse. Just curious, how many kids do you have?

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Bans? That may be a goal but there will be negatives and environmental/habitat consequences changing the world’s infrastructure from fuel driven to alternative fuel/multi source “Free” energy. It seems the agenda has taken a life of its own and grows to justify its existence. JMO. The best way to minimize habitat and environmental impact (assuming no 3 mile island type incident) would be as many nuclear power plants as needed. I’d prefer that over ugly ass windmills and solar panels that, if enough to actually meet demand and replace Fossil fuel, would cover wide swaths off land and ruin habitats and eliminate environment. What happened to the green types/conservationists? The tree people? It’s seems they’ve been silenced. There needs to be balance. The climate has always changed. Always will until the end. How much is the fault of humankind?

CarbonSteel

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I worry that rock crawling or slow trail work will also trigger a ton of regen's just like stop and go.....
It will. At low speeds diesels produce more soot which requires more regens which lowers MPG and ultimately shortens the DPF life (which is considered a wear item). Modern diesels are made for highway use, not stop and go or low speed operation.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that they took away the lifetime warranty on powertrain made me not go with the diesel. I went with the 3.6. The idea was for me to keep the diesel for as long as possible and not worry about any costly issues related to the emissions systems etc. Imagine you run out of warranty and need to fix something on the diesel, first of all, it is hard to find a great mechanic for diesels. Also, if you decided to delete the emissions system then I don’t know if it would pass the emissions test. The diesel would’ve been fantastic for bigger tires and heavier bumpers and payload etc. but in the end the warranty drove me away from the unknown into something that’s been proven and easily fixable.

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I would like the Tesla Power Wall battery storage, solar panels, and truly be an Energy Island.
Re Carrington, I'll keep my 1954 M38A1 ....

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, 2016 Mercedes C450 AMG, 2014 Mercedes ML-350 Blutec, 2005 Heritage Softail
Occupation
IT Manager
The fact that they took away the lifetime warranty on powertrain made me not go with the diesel. I went with the 3.6. The idea was for me to keep the diesel for as long as possible and not worry about any costly issues related to the emissions systems etc. Imagine you run out of warranty and need to fix something on the diesel, first of all, it is hard to find a great mechanic for diesels. Also, if you decided to delete the emissions system then I don’t know if it would pass the emissions test. The diesel would’ve been fantastic for bigger tires and heavier bumpers and payload etc. but in the end the warranty drove me away from the unknown into something that’s been proven and easily fixable.
I ordered the JL Diesel and I own 2 other diesels...in the state of Texas they don't test for emissions and state inspections are much cheaper because of the diesel. I have never had any issues with the emission systems of either one. One does run BluDef and I have never had a problem. I get it serviced by the dealer and I have never had a problem.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
The fact that they took away the lifetime warranty on powertrain made me not go with the diesel. I went with the 3.6.
:surprised: Lifetime warranty on the engine... We get 2 year only on the entire Vehicle down here, and we don't even have the opportunity to offroad as much as you folks!

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
So there's two reasons they would do that:
1. The diesel is terrible and they don't want to pay for it forever.
2. The diesel is great and they don't have to pull in buyers with a long warranty.

A lifetime warranty doesn't mean much if you're constantly 'taking advantage' of it.

rommel102

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trying to pull off dynamic tunes to cheat the regs in real world driving? Amazing. Nearly all of the statist west is marching toward blanket bans of ICE vehicles, gas included, so singling out diesel is a bit myopic as it pertains to regulatory trends. I find it fascinating how people are willing to lap up what a bunch of unelected/unaccountable hacks tell them is great for the environment. Go ahead and enjoy your 2.0’s CO2 production, but don’t justify it by pretending the 3.0’s environmental impact is somehow worse. Just curious, how many kids do you have?
The NOx pollution from Diesel vehicles, even ones that don't blatantly defeat the testing mechanisms, is atrociously bad and is already more directly causal to the deaths of humans than CO2.

It's why Paris had to declare car free days with 1/4 of the vehicles that Manhattan has. The emissions from diesel are not even close to being clean or ecologically friendly unless your only measure is CO2 production (which is batshit insane).

Diesel has been a disaster.

All that being said...I'm fine with Jeep offering a diesel. Just stop saying it better for the environment when there isn't any tangible proof of that.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trying to pull off dynamic tunes to cheat the regs in real world driving? Amazing.
With upper management serving prison terms, and after losing billions in fines/sales revenue, you think these companies are still trustworthy? Amazing.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
As we start seeing more electric vehicles on the road, not much thought has been given to the environmental impact disposing of those batteries. Those batteries can be recycled, but it is a very expensive proposition.

Also you got to look at what's happening to the older Tesla cars, all of the electronics just quit working for no reason. I'm a bit Leary of the batteries too because of their fire risks.

Based on these reasons, I am betting that the diesel will be around.

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, 2009 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the diesel for the torque and highway range. Full Stop. CO2, NOx, handling DEF, replacing the DPF, etc. are OK with me.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement