Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
You'd be a fool to buy this engine until its proven itself not to implode. Just go read the EcoDiesel forums, every other day someone is reporting a total engine failure. There has also been a whole handful that have literally burnt to the ground because of what they think is an EGR issue. I owned a 2016 1500 EcoDiesel and sold it the second I started to hear that the EPA was looking into them, and thank god I did, the resale value has absolutely tanked. Especially with GDE Tuning being put out of business by the EPA, I wouldn't go anywhere near that engine.
Sponsored

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I think maybe the rednecks rolling coal may have ruined diesel tuning for good. I think with all the pollution controls they have to put on due to rednecks and VW, that what was once true is now - not so much. I hear from my friends that do landscaping and construction that they are keeping the old trucks cause the new ones just aren't the same. We're talking guys that tow and work 5-6 days a week.
Me? I dream of my own Jeep one day, I can drive my daughter's but I would prefer to have my own to add shit to if you know what I mean. What would I get if I had the cash - or will have the cash in the foreseeable future? I think it would be another Sport S in a different color, 3.6 with 8 speed auto - or a 2 door Rubicon !

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I have no dog in the Diesel race and I think it is great to offer even more flexability for Jeep owners.

But calling any diesel "Eco" or "clean" is just a bald-faced lie.
I also have no dog in this fight and I would have considered the diesel if it had been available when I bought my 2018 JL. However, I probably would not have bought it anyway. Though I KNOW it would tow my camper more comfortably than the 3.6, it just wouldn't make sense for my 90% day to day. I live and work in town, frequent short trips without weekly lengthy hiway mileage would wreak havoc on the Regen cycles. Local fuel prices for me are currently at about $2.15 for Regular gasoline and about $2.80 for diesel approximately a 26% difference) in the end I am not against it I just think people should be informed about what it is and what it isn't.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I have no dog in the Diesel race and I think it is great to offer even more flexability for Jeep owners.

But calling any diesel "Eco" or "clean" is just a bald-faced lie.
So burning 30% less fossil fuels and producing CO2 emissions on par with an electric vehicle running on the US power grid, all while conforming to the lunacy of modern NOx and particulate emissions is neither eco nor clean? We truly live in a post-truth world.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd jump at it if they ever offered a manual transmission to go along with it. The weight gain wouldn't be as bad with the manual, plus, after deleting it, a good portion of that weight would be gone and can you imagine a Wrangler with 550 lb/ft and 300+ hp?
Hate to break it to you, but the 6MT in the wranglers weighs more than the ZF 8AT.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d go check out the Giulia forums to read about tuning gains on the 2.0’s. I still do not know exact engine (is that true and available to see?) differences but if optimum performance is with 91, seems there’s at least more ceiling to be had if one could tune for and had access to 93 octane. Claimed gains are anywhere from 30 to 90 hp over there. No reliability issues due to tuning.
I should have specified “reliably squeezed...”. When these kids are running 100k miles on those tunes without reliability issues, I might change my mind, but pushing that much boost through a 2.0 sounds like a recipe for long-term and potentially short term reliability problems.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I should have specified “reliably squeezed...”. When these kids are running 100k miles on those tunes without reliability issues, I might change my mind, but pushing that much boost through a 2.0 sounds like a recipe for long-term and potentially short term reliability problems.
Not to mention a dramatically reduced fuel economy, negating the entire reason the 2.0 is in the Wrangler.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We’ll see, won’t we? The knowledge base is extensive from European and domestic tuners. Maybe they won’t make it 200k but given the history, I’d think the average person might accept the risk. Most that are tuned that are ticking bombs don’t seem to make it long at all because they don’t gradually fail over 100k+ miles.

Go to the Giulia forums and ask who has the most tuned miles and how aggressively they drive.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Not to mention a dramatically reduced fuel economy, negating the entire reason the 2.0 is in the Wrangler.
Then they can switch back to stock or a lower boost tune OR not be a lead foot going down the road when they desire economy. Turbocharging is the equivalent of displacement on demand. Throttle angle/load will determine economy.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So burning 30% less fossil fuels and producing CO2 emissions on par with an electric vehicle running on the US power grid, all while conforming to the lunacy of modern NOx and particulate emissions is neither eco nor clean? We truly live in a post-truth world.
Just an amusing observation, we should better think out protecting that power grid should we rely on electric vehicles extensively.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I agree with the resale value of Duramax and Cummins, but this is no Cummins motor by any stretch. Plus dealing with DEF fluid is a pain. JMO.
The older, the more in demand, for real use.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Then they can switch back to stock or a lower boost tune OR not be a lead foot going down the road when they desire economy. Turbocharging is the equivalent of displacement on demand. Throttle angle/load will determine economy.
Yeah I know how a turbo works, light on the throttle gets you light boost and the fuel economy benefits of a small 4 banger when you're just cruising, but you still have access to the extra power when you need it.

I was just pointing out one of the downsides to chip tuning something like that.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I personally want the 3.0L to be a success as more options can never be a bad thing. No reason to hate it as it fills a segment the 3.6 and 2.0 may not.

Would I consider owning one? Yes, once the year-1 gremlins are dealt with that are common with any new model or major options change. And once we know if regen cycles are a problem when off-roading like they are in stop and go traffic.

I've owned several 3.0L Audi Diesels (the dirty diesel) and they were marvelous engines. With a simple ECU tune over 550 ft/lbs was typical with 30+ MPG on the highway. It was like driving a locomotive - and this same torque would be stellar in a JLU as it's about as aerodynamic as a locomotive :like:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an amusing observation, we should better think out protecting that power grid should we rely on electric vehicles extensively.
https://www.lloyds.com/news-and-risk-insight/risk-reports/library/natural-environment/solar-storm

C
arrington-level CME risk is ~50% in any 80 year period. An eventual guarantee for which we are woefully unprepared and completely dependent on Chinese replacement transformers. People with their own wind/solar supplies might do OK assuming their own equipment isn’t fried too.
Sponsored