Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
Well, I read through all the posting and it went from talking about the new diesel to fighting! Yikes!
I would like to talk about the new diesel.

I currently own a JLUR 3.6, 37” tires, that has been completely modified for my type of use. I have owned it for roughly 17 months, it currently has 27,000 miles on it, around 15,000 miles are from hard off road.
I have a diesel on order, I went to the auto show to check one out in person and one thing that was screaming at me, that looks like it could be a problem was what looks like the deff tank hanging low on the driver side rear end of the vehicle. Yes, there is a skid plate on it, yet I can see myself hammering that thing a lot. My JLUR has the steel bumpers and my right rear bumper is bent up to the point there is almost no gap between it and the body from landing on rocks.
I have hit the spare tire a few times to the point I thought it was going to be ripped off or brake my back window.

Yet for my type of use the better gas mileage it going to be a major plus. Here is why, my JLUR is getting between 15-16 MPG HWY and 11-13 off road, I average between 3-7 days a month off road camping, each trip is between 400 - 1,000+ miles. Our trips have to be planned around filling up every few days or carrying extra fuel.
If I can squeeze 20-25 MPG out of the new diesel the extra $4k will be paid for in 1-2 years.
This would also cut what it cost me every month for my trips right out of the gate.

Not having to plan our trips around getting fuel means we can stay on the dirt longer.
One of my buddies who has. JKUR changed out his gears two years ago at a cost of $1400, the new gears only added a few extra miles to his MPG and way better power. After one year he did the math of the cost of gears vs fuel. He was ahead by $200 for the year. This does not seem like that much, yet it did pay off after just one year.
For someone like myself who looks ahead three to five years I can see the diesel saving me a lot of money in the long run. This means more money for my upgrades! Lol lol

I read some folks saying the diesel could have problems. I completely agree it could, yet my JLUR has been in and out of the dealership almost every month for problems. Blown bearings in the rear end, oil and trans leaks, wind noise, door seals not working, and the one problem that just keeps coming back has been with the radio. It’s been in around 13 times for just the radio going nuts. The latest over the air update everyone got was due to my radio. FCA engineers have been working with the dealership and myself trying to figure out what is causing the problems. The latest spitball was to replace a computer behind the glovebox, vacuum any dust us, check all the connection points. I give it a month before it goes crazy on me again.

I for one am looking forward to the diesel.
Man I’m right there with you my 2015 JKUR is not a daily it spends most of its time on the trails and weekends running around to jeep meets or just enjoying the drive I myself am concerned with the DEF tank on my current Jeep I’ve removed the muffler from it current spot in the rear to a custom one that is under the driver rear floorboard in the factory silencer or what ever that thing is that looks like another muffler lol than it’s dumped up high at the rear bumper so no contact can be made. That being said as soon as they hit the aftermarket will get skids for it I’m sure and if not I’ll make my own. My plan is to run it through 3 tanks of DEF so approximately 30k miles and pray someone comes out with some deleting software and parts living in Texas we don’t test emission on diesels so I want to get rid of all of it and if it makes it 30k miles with no issues I’m good with it.
Advertisement

James

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Man I’m right there with you my 2015 JKUR is not a daily it spends most of its time on the trails and weekends running around to jeep meets or just enjoying the drive I myself am concerned with the DEF tank on my current Jeep I’ve removed the muffler from it current spot in the rear to a custom one that is under the driver rear floorboard in the factory silencer or what ever that thing is that looks like another muffler lol than it’s dumped up high at the rear bumper so no contact can be made. That being said as soon as they hit the aftermarket will get skids for it I’m sure and if not I’ll make my own. My plan is to run it through 3 tanks of DEF so approximately 30k miles and pray someone comes out with some deleting software and parts living in Texas we don’t test emission on diesels so I want to get rid of all of it and if it makes it 30k miles with no issues I’m good with it.
That sounds like a good plan.
Glad to hear your using your JKUR the same as I.
For myself I’ll need a fix right away. I have a photo somewhere of my OD reading all 6666666, this happened when it had 1,000 miles and I was off roading. I think my Jeep was telling me to lighten up on it. Lol
I live in CA where they strangle the crap out of a diesel motor and I get why they do this. I'm thankful that FCA took the time and money to develop this product for the rest of us.
do you have a build date for yours yet?
Mine was given a vin, no build date.
I love my JLUR however I’m working on a buy back on it due to the crazy radio problem it keeps having. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy that anyone would want a manufacturer to buy their vehicle back over a radio, right? Well, one of the on going problems of my radio is, the volume will come on full blast and no way to turn it off or down. Eventually The on/off button on the dash will allow it to be muted, if left overnight the batter will be dead the next day. Now imagine your on a cellphone call with a client/boss where that call represents 25% of your annual income when this happens.

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
For myself I’ll need a fix right away. I have a photo somewhere of my OD reading all 6666666, this happened when it had 1,000 miles and I was off roading. I think my Jeep was telling me to lighten up on it. Lol
I live in CA where they strangle the crap out of a diesel motor and I get why they do this. I'm thankful that FCA took the time and money to develop this product for the rest of us.
I love my JLUR however I’m working on a buy back on it due to the crazy radio problem it keeps having. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy that anyone would want a manufacturer to buy their vehicle back over a radio, right? Well, one of the on going problems of my radio is, the volume will come on full blast and no way to turn it off or down. Eventually The on/off button on the dash will allow it to be muted, if left overnight the batter will be dead the next day. Now imagine your on a cellphone call with a client/boss where that call represents 25% of your annual income when this happens.
I don’t have a build date yet I ordered it October 17th and I check on it every Monday it’s at D1 status at the moment. I’ve never heard of a radio issue like that it’s crazy for sure.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Damn that suck, Hopefully they buy back with no issues. When did you order your Diesel?

CAC

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
I ordered on 10/18. Jeep Chat person told me today that most orders are in D1 now so they anticipate start of production very soon.

Who knows for sure. She did confirm no diesels have been built yet.

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

Gman53

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 & 2022 Land Rover Defender X
More reviews rolling out...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/05/2020-jeep-wrangler-ecodiesel-drivers-notes/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/business/jeep-ecodiesel-engine.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/take-a-look-at-the-new-jeep-wrangler-ecodiesel-2019-12-04

Probably the most interesting piece of information is autoblog’s combined fuel economy...even if that’s a generous computer calculation, it’s impressive.
The marketwatch review states at the very end of the article “The Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel is in dealerships now.”

Ha! We only wish...

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, 2016 Mercedes C450 AMG, 2014 Mercedes ML-350 Blutec, 2005 Heritage Softail
Occupation
IT Manager
The marketwatch review states at the very end of the article “The Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel is in dealerships now.”

Ha! We only wish...
That cracked me up. I see people stating they are in D1 status and I know I ordered before them. I was in D1 status a month ago and have gone back and forth between C and D 2 different times.

Yellow_Rubi-can

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I dont get why people are complaining and trying to justify the diesel..

We now have 3 engine choices in the wrangler! Each engine is awesome in its own way.. Each engine does something the other cant do.. Just look at what you can afford, look at your needs and make a wise decision.. I would say 2020 is the best year for Jeep and the off-road community

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I just checked the inventory across CA.. no 3.0's on the lots yet...

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some new video reviews added:

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm still saying it's the perfect match to the 6 speed!

Billy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I tried (and failed) to find an old thread from way back when the JL was just about to be released by some diesel nuts claiming how much quicker the diesel version would be. If only I could find it now and link those articles above.

Just sayin.gif

A.DiVe1

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Okay, I'm writing this post because I think this will be useful to any serious Jeep diesel potential customers. I finally found a Diesel wrangler at a dealership. I have been looking for a diesel wrangler to test drive, to personally see if what has been reported on the blog/vlogs/magazines to be true or not. Also, to experience if the so called magazine/online vlogs experts on cars/trucks were telling the truth or embellishing or just making stuff up.

So, everyone understands, I'm not an expert, I am a regular guy who owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK, who plans on purchasing a diesel wrangler. I also sell diesel motors, but that doesn't make me an expert. It does however make me very skeptical of so called experts and people with strong opinions.

I found a Diesel Jeep Wrangler Rubicon at a Chicago area dealership. The day that I test drove, it was 27-29 degrees and sunny. The dealership is in an urban area with frequent stop and go traffic, and city type driving and access to an expressway. Chicago is roughly 600 feet above sea level. The dealership was kind enough to allow me to inspect, run, listen to this diesel and then test drive this diesel wrangler for well over an hour and a half.

This is my impressions;

Noise - At idle the motor noise was quiet. I listened to the noise while standing at the hood, with the hood open and closed, and at the exhaust pipe. I also sat in the drivers seat, front and rear passenger seats, and found the noise to be no louder than my 3.6 ltr Pentastar motor. But, it clearly sounds like a diesel, a quiet one. While driving it, I noticed that it was no louder than my current Jeep while having the windows up, but the only difference is that it sounds like a diesel. With the windows down while driving, and with the wind noise the diesel motor clatter disappears, just the as my gas Wrangler. This surprised me, because of what I have watched and read from other reviews they implied that it was louder than the gas Jeep Wrangler. I guess if you are looking to have this diesel motor sound the same as a gas motor, then buy the 3.6 ltr. or 2 ltr. turbo. gas motor, but if you are worried about noise, to me they both make equal amount of noise. This was not a scientific study and I didn't use a calibrated sound level meter. So, take it for what it's worth...

Driving - The power of the motor and the smoothness of the 8 speed transmission was impressive., much better than my JK 3.6 Pentastar. When comparing the diesel JL to a 3.6 ltr. JL or a 2 ltr. turbo JL, again, I believe there is a noticeable difference between the power (torque) of the diesel. I noticed this while I was doing stop and go traffic and while on the highway, and this is a welcome difference. There was no diesel lag or turbo lag, it was power when I wanted it.

Mileage - I drove over 40 miles. You will notice in the picture that my trip mileage was 20.6, but I reset the trip computer twice to see if there would be a change with the MPG, so that's why the trip and my stated miles don't add up. There is a few things I'd like to mention before I give you the average MPG, and it has to do with my driving habits. I'm an average driver. I typically drive 5-7 mph over the speed limit and I keep up with traffic. I don't race to the next stop light or stop sign, and I'm not out make it to the next destination in record time. I drive a Jeep Wrangler... This said, my sustained average mpg was 32.4. Yes, 32.4 MPG! This was real word driving on city streets, with stop and go traffic, along with 21 miles of highway driving, at highway speeds (5-7 mph over). IMPRESSIVE!!! Note; the MPG was off of the on board vehicle computer and not me calculating it.

Cost - The list price of the diesel motor is $4,000 more than the gas 3.6 Pentastar, and the transmission is less $750 than the trans paired with the 3.6 Pentastar, costing $3,250 more to go to the diesel (but, NO one pays list price). Note: This does not take into account the manual trans, this is motor for motor and automatic trans for automatic trans (most wranglers are sold and built with automatic transmissions (if anyone has REAL numbers of how many automatics vs. manual transmissions please post, because I tried finding the exact numbers but couldn't))

In summary, noise of diesel is the same or no change + power (torque) + real world MPG (32.4 mpg) = Impressed

IMG_9782.jpg

Advertisement

WheelsASAP

Advertisement