Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

1. digitalbliss

digitalbliss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    I tried (and failed) to find an old thread from way back when the JL was just about to be released by some diesel nuts claiming how much quicker the diesel version would be. If only I could find it now and link those articles above.

rommel102 and crazy90'skid like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
    Liked:
    So, let me get this straight. Slower than the gas versions, by a lot. Heavier by 450lbs. Costs about $4000 more. Takes 250,000 miles of driving and fuel savings, to recoup the costs. Had a Diesel badge. Gee, its a winner and will sell out.

3. CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Add the maintenance costs and potential issues with the emissions systems and you have the "ultimate driving machine" or...not.

4. Motoristx

Motoristx Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Liked:
    I wonder what that Low Pressure EGR means for this engine. it says it doesn't steal from the turbo... could it pull post filter?

5. oceanblue2019

oceanblue2019 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
    Liked:
    Yes, pulls post filter. Supposedly also less soot in the EGR system so longer term reliability should be better.

TXJeepScientist and Motoristx like this.
  6. bruno747

bruno747 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
    Liked:
    Only read a couple. Didn't see mention of throttle lag. I know the new ram gen 3 ecodiesel has similar lag to the aem modified gen 2s which is the only thing that makes me hesitate considering these.

The new ram ecodiesel had a 2+ second throttle delay in tfls test. Acting worse than my original ecodiesel making views think it actually stalled when Nathan floored it from a stop.

7. N5lp

N5lp Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
    Liked:
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
    Liked:
    Now, I will add to what I said, earlier. The diesel may not be ideal, for overall drivers, or light off roaders. But, for heavy Rock Crawling, it should shine. 70:1 crawl ratio, with 442 ft./lbs. of torque. That is where it should excel.

I remember, when I bought my 1998 Wrangler. They had a prototype that had a Viper v10 engine stuffed in it. That is what I really wanted. Now I just want one with a 6.4 liter Hemi, and a beefed up 8 speed tranny.
    But, that's just me.

9. mysto

mysto Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    Exactly why it needs to be offered in a two door. I have an "almost" reaction, maybe next time. Manual too, but I understand they'd have to build a new transmission.

RogueRubicon and four low like this.
  10. jayteal

jayteal Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    I think there's no manual due to FCA's perceived low demand for it and I'm not hearing Jeep folks say the current M/T can't handle the torque - it's all about market demand. If this is really the only thing holding it back then that makes me sad....it's a deal killer for me if I ever want to move over to the diesel. I honestly think FCA is underestimating the demand for an M/T...I've read a lot of comments from all generations of Wrangler owners who would jump at the chance to own a diesel with the M/T. I'll keep waiting and hoping.

chrcal14, four low and mysto like this.
  11. SecondTJ

SecondTJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep
    Liked:
    #12 Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    It’s a fact that the JL’s current manual trans cannot handle the diesel’s torque.

It’s only rated to 370 nm (~273 lb/ft), far below the diesel’s 442 lb/ft

12. jayteal

jayteal Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    That's what I thought but interesting to not hear Jeep saying that...only that the market is dictating no M/T available for the diesel.

13. SecondTJ

SecondTJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep
    Liked:
    I think it’s a simply misunderstanding how the conversation transpired on TFL. After the host says “automatic only and 4-door only” the Jeep rep seems to only respond to the “4-door only comment” about how low 2-door sales without mentioning anything in regards to the transmission.

14. boon4376

boon4376 Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    1973 CJ5
    Liked:
    This is a compliance car designed to raise the fleet average MPG. They'll make enough of them to sell them to people that want to max out the options list - but after the issues I had with my Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, definitely not worth it. The fuel MPG is theoretical and works on a short EPA test. If you do a lot of city driving and idling, the particle filter will get plugged and it will go into "regen" mode, where it burns extra fuel to burn out the buildup, and during this MPG drops by a lot. Happened to me quite frequently.

Not an issue for highway drivers, but if you're just doing city commutes every day with little highway, it's a problem.

I'm still waiting for the plugin hybrid. Seems more practical and less complicated than getting a unique low-volume diesel engine. (the hybrid just adds a battery pack, and an EV motor integrated into the transmission bellhousing - rest of powertrain same as other Jeeps).

MrBell, CarbonSteel, DadJokes and 3 others like this.