Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I wish Jeep, or maybe Ineos (since I cannot imagine buying another Jeep in Europe given how much Jeep tries to F you over here), would make a hybrid the way that the new Honda is set up.
The ICE engine is used to power a generator for city driving. Electric motors always drive the wheels. This way, the ICE stays in its most efficient range and lets the the electric motors do what they do best... start and stop.
Then at steady speeds the ICE engine is connected to the drive and takes over since it is way more efficient at higher steady speeds than an electric motor.
I think such an approach is more suitable to way humans use a car. At least until batteries get a lot better.
The Wrangler 4XE operates this way with the belt start generator. Low accelerator input uses electric (until the battery runs down to 15%) and heavy accelerator input engages the ICE, and then both sources of propulsion are used together. The 4XE can charge the battery with the ICE but charging a battery with an ICE is less efficient that just using an ICE to propel the vehicle. The battery is better charged by regen braking/idle engine cycles and then used again to push the vehicle off the line with electric until ICE is engaged again.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
The Wrangler 4XE operates this way with the belt start generator. Low accelerator input uses electric (until the battery runs down to 15%) and heavy accelerator input engages the ICE, and then both sources of propulsion are used together. The 4XE can charge the battery with the ICE but charging a battery with an ICE is less efficient that just using an ICE to propel the vehicle. The battery is better charged by regen braking/idle engine cycles and then used again to push the vehicle off the line with electric until ICE is engaged again.
The Honda does not operate the same way.
In stop and go traffic the Honda uses the ICE engine all the time but only as a generator. It does not power the wheels. That way it stays a fixed efficient RPM.
The ICE engine is only used at high speeds. Otherwise the wheels are driven only be the electric motors.
It's more like that gas turbine Jaguar built a while ago. The gas turbine was used only as a generator for electric motors.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
The Honda does not operate the same way.
In stop and go traffic the Honda uses the ICE engine all the time but only as a generator. It does not power the wheels. That way it stays a fixed efficient RPM.
The ICE engine is only used at high speeds. Otherwise the wheels are driven only be the electric motors.
It's more like that gas turbine Jaguar built a while ago. The gas turbine was used only as a generator for electric motors.
Which Honda are you talking about? That sounds like an annoying mode of operation if that is true. Constant drone as it will be at a consistent elevated RPM.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Has anyone even verified the validity of that article? I have serious doubts myself. I just bought one of the "in demand" Jeeps, a 392 XR, off the dealer lot for MSRP.
Totally agree. There are dealers on this forum offering below invoice pricing, 24.4% is more than $10K above sticker ON AVERAGE. I seriously doubt that there's more than a few, if any, who paid such a premium. The math doesn't work. I'm pushing the BS buzzer.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Glad I secured my signed purchase agreement back in April 2021. When it finally arrived at the showroom in August 2021, all I had to do was pickup the keys and drive home.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Totally agree. There are dealers on this forum offering below invoice pricing, 24.4% is more than $10K above sticker ON AVERAGE. I seriously doubt that there's more than a few, if any, who paid such a premium. The math doesn't work. I'm pushing the BS buzzer.
Yup! Got mine from Peterson in Nampa, ID and got a great deal.

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
This is great news....after you own your Jeep. 😎🗽🎸
Yep, I'm thankful I bought my 2019 Sahara the last day of 2018 and got $8,000 off of MSRP of $56,000 which included about every option available (Including Rubicon heavy duty rock sliders).

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Paying above MSRP is a fools game. When the thing is a day old all that is lost to depreciation, plus the normal off the lot depreciation. No one needs a vehicle badly enough to allow themselves to be cheated like that. Hell, paying MSRP gives the dealer full profit, PLUS their holdback.

"There's a sucker born every minute." ~ PT Barnum

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I went to the dealership today, they had a 392XR at $19,995 market adjustment, $109+K. Also, the service writer said he wasn’t sure if they could recalibrate for 4.56’s and 35’s, recommended after market (Taser,J scan) “ we normally turn a blind eye “ , “Normally” trust a dealership that gouges $20K over?🤔

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

this must apply more to on the lot sales vs ordering. So many dealerships are selling ordered vehicles at or well below msrp. if you can wait, order. if you can't, that sucks.
Very few people know about the dealerships that are offering below invoice pricing.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The two door is higher because there's less available
The last time I went lot shopping all that was left on the lot was a collection of seven two doors plus one JLUR that had been lifted plus new wheels / tires for an $11k markup.
Sponsored