Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler Diesel Gets Canceled in 2022??

WIll they keep the diesel?

• Total voters

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I saw above that you said you had been driving diesels for 22 years. My relationship goes back that far too but I gotta say that while I too am annoyed but the cleaning systems, I don’t want to go back to a world where I’m driving behind vehicles spewing clouds of noxious black smoke.

Maybe the cleaning systems will get better—I assume they will—but for now it seems like a small price to pay to not be spewing poison out the back. There are enough systems in every vehicle these days that you can’t fix and only replace. None of these cars are my 85 Caprice Classic.
The filter systems are already lightyears better than they were when first introduced in 2007. Anyone remember the recall for F250/F350's because the exhaust pipe was setting brush fires during regen? Drilling into the side of brand new turbos on a 6.7L Cummins to push a solvent solution because EGR soot had caked the sliding vane of the VGT closed?

The emissions systems have come a long way, and they'll continue to get better. As oilburner enthusiasts, we are about 40 years behind the petrol side of the house in mandated innovation, but we're catching up quick by advancing the technology in reliability, power, and efficiency WAY faster than the gasser side did.

I'm pretty excited to hear that turbo light and not see a doom cloud in my rearview.
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
that 4.0 experience is very uncommon imo. My 16 year old nephew now has my 02 4L/3 speed auto I bought new. It’s had Rotella T 5w40 since the first oil chance and a mix of synthetic fluids everywhere else. Two radiators & water pumps and a head gasket has all its every had outside regular maintenance. The notorious exhaust manifold leak happened just outside the 3/36 but I replaced with a borla header and it’s still fine. 4.10s with the then popular hi pinion XJ front/ ford 8.8 rear swap, rubicon express long arm kit & 35s for nearly every mile. Tons and tons of wheeling.

its approaching 400k now and 6 months ago I rode with him and it runs great. That things an heirloom and I’ve promised to buy him a new Jeep of his own once he graduates from college, provided I get the TJ back.
Hot damn. What's a fella gotta do to get themselves into your family?! The only thing I've promised my nephews is a 6-pack and firm handshake.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
that 4.0 experience is very uncommon imo. My 16 year old nephew now has my 02 4L/3 speed auto I bought new. It’s had Rotella T 5w40 since the first oil chance and a mix of synthetic fluids everywhere else. Two radiators & water pumps and a head gasket has all its every had outside regular maintenance. The notorious exhaust manifold leak happened just outside the 3/36 but I replaced with a borla header and it’s still fine. 4.10s with the then popular hi pinion XJ front/ ford 8.8 rear swap, rubicon express long arm kit & 35s for nearly every mile. Tons and tons of wheeling.

its approaching 400k now and 6 months ago I rode with him and it runs great. That things an heirloom and I’ve promised to buy him a new Jeep of his own once he graduates from college, provided I get the TJ back.
The TJ's still going with the replaced engine and really only used for off road. Engine was replaced when it was still mostly stock and babied with religous oil changes. No issues with the rebuilt 4.0 in all these years. 4 inch currie lift 4.56 gears on 35's. Only other things replaced have been the radiator and put in a high performance clutch. Still has Dana 30 in front and 44 in rear with ARB lockers. My favorite vehicle to off road in. Manual with a hand throttle makes for a fully interactive experience!
My point on the 4.0 failing is that any engin can fail and any engine can last 400k miles. My daughters beat to death Patriot has 300k miles with the original constant velocity transmission and still gets 28mpg.
There will be diesel duds and there will be others that go the distance. Personal experience trumps everything else.
Resized_20201016_172651.jpeg

Last edited:

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
The TJ's still going with the replaced engine and really only used for off road. Engine was replaced when it was still mostly stock and babied with religous oil changes. No issues with the rebuilt 4.0 in all these years. 4 inch currie lift 4.56 gears on 35's. Only other things replaced have been the radiator and put in a high performance clutch. Still has Dana 30 in front and 44 in rear with ARB lockers. My favorite vehicle to off road in. Manual with a hand throttle makes for a fully interactive experience!
My point on the 4.0 failing is that any engin can fail and any engine can last 400k miles. My daughters beat to death Patriot has 300k miles with the original constant velocity transmission and still gets 28mpg.
There will be diesel duds and there will be others that go the distance. Personal experience trumps everything else.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Diesel Gets Canceled in 2022?? Resized_20201016_172651
100% this. My brother just finished off a 2005 Prius with 270,000 miles.

Sponsored

Deezus

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
They didnt offer the diesel, when I purchased mine, if you bothered to see what I drive. I do, in fact, own a diesel pickup, and have owned a diesel truck for approx 22 yrs. So, I do know a little about the pros and cons of older vs modern diesels. Do your research, and stop with all the silly troll talk.
Anytime someone doesn't like what some people say, on the internet, the "Woke Crowd" always screams "Troll". It gets tiring.
I agree most people take things personally when you say something negative about a product they bought or believe in. But how can you be woke if you're driving a diesel let alone a Jeep Wrangler? 🤣

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I agree most people take things personally when you say something negative about a product they bought or believe in. But how can you be woke if you're driving a diesel let alone a Jeep Wrangler? 🤣
Electric/Hybrid Wrangler?? Does that count as Woke?

Sponsored