Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The mandate doesn’t take full effect until late 2020.
Ah maybe she lucked out. That thing is so quiet its creepy. No wonder they want them to make a little bit of noise.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Oh wow, it’s annoying? I was under the impression that for cars where it was already implemented, you don’t really hear it from inside the car unless you roll the windows down. Is that when it annoys you, or also even with the windows rolled up?

The mandate doesn’t take full effect until late 2020.

It may be simple, it may not. It depends on how jeep engineers hide or embed the speaker. Try disabling the internal speaker on an old PC- the one that provides system errors during POST- not necessarily easy unless you know where to look on the motherboard. On a Jeep it may be as simple as pulling a fuse... but then again, maybe not. Maybe you’ll have an error message on the dash every time you start the jeep when it’s disabled (which a Tazer might be needed to clear).

Further, it introduces a moral and possibly legal dilemma. Say it ends up being a complicated process to disable the speaker, so you decide to leave it off permanently. Then, on the off chance you strike a pedestrian, possibly a blind one (or more likely a person buried in his or her cell phone)- you can no longer say, “sorry, my Jeep is built this way; it’s silent.” You’re responsible for modifying your jeep to be less safe than it was when purchased.
A legal dilemma is a real issue. They made the Prius have a sound because it was dead silent so pedestrians could hear and notice it while crossing streets.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Wasn’t there a thing that whistled to scare deer off? It probably wasn’t making noise until a certain speed

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Wasn’t there a thing that whistled to scare deer off? It probably wasn’t making noise until a certain speed
Depending on how old you are? Remember the vintage JC Whitney catalogs? It was full of stuff like that. I doubt they actually worked. lol.

Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
But your caveat means nothing b/c we can't even begin to get an idea of what size engine would be adequate, let alone what kind of mileage one could expect b/c the weight differences between the cases are so drastically different.

One thing is certain, 420 miles or whatever you said for those tiny commuter cars, isn't feasible on a Wrangler sized vehicle.
You said it yourself, we can't begin to get an idea, so why are we arguing about the pros/cons now? I think we should see and wait what FCA has to reveal at CES, it's pointless to debate at this point. I can't imagine FCA will reveal the Wrangler 4xe with the tagline, "It's more expensive and heavier, but hey it has less range and efficiency! Line for deposits starts here!"

Considering our Pathfinder 4x4 has a range of 300 miles (small tank combined with 15 MPG avg), anything above that would be an improvement.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
You don't use brakes much at all in 4L with 4:1 or deeper gears.

With an ICE, in 4wd...you get several TIMES worse gas mileage....single digits while on the trail. No idea on electric, but 50-60 miles of range with ICE on road, means probably 15 miles at best on the trail. Luckily, most of our actual trails are 1-3 miles long....but getting to them sometimes necessitates a 20 mile or more trip on fire roads....a good portion of which requires 4L due to the inclines and rough nature of the "road" itself.

My *guess* is the PHEV will be fine for most trail running in the US. Though personally, I'd conserve the electric powertrain for obstacles where the instantaneous torque (IT) might be an advantage...if that's even possible. Again, no idea how the system works....and like I said in other threads, IT *might* make for a lot of broken parts, depending on how responsive the system is. We simply won't know until it's out....but I'd bet Jeep engineers will have the IT tuned down to the point where that's unlikely to happen....which then will kind of negate the feature frankly.
Allow me to be doubting Thomas too... On both the Dusy trail and the Rubicon trail my speeds were <1mph, never touched the brakes much and I used all 20gal of fuel on both trails. I would be surprised if they pull a rabbit out the hat with EV on the trail (aka trail rated), my guess it will be like the minivan, a few miles electric and the rest is the hum of the generator - engine. I just hope there is no battery fires on the trail, that would be a mess..

This kinda reminds me (again) of the whole Diesel debate on "fast" it would be.. FCA is not Tesla.. for one, I am keeping my expectations in check..'

But hey this is cheaper and funnier than gambling in Vegas! :)

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I have to disagree with you on this one, stop and go and stop and go = dead battery.
I think the bigger drain will probably the other electronics on the vehicle running off the lithium ion battery. When looking at a traditional electric car they are less efficient with a higher discharge rate, flooring it or maintaining high speeds. In 4low the electric motor would have to do a lot of work because it’s already torquey and there will be gear reduction multiplying torque. The hardtops should have solar built in.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
well... considering that I get 420 miles all the time on a tank with my diesel Rubi, it is not too hard to believe that a PEHV can also do it.
I'd be shocked if it didn't actually.
Mine is only a 2.2 Turbo, but more than enough power for my needs.
Of course, no one is running 42 inch tires over hear, unless you drive a unimog. Though, those are actually like 45 inch.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Your arguments make a lot of sense from a physics standpoint. Obviously (or maybe not) Jeep's engineers must have asked the same questions and faced the same issues, and come up with a solution that offers some benefit beyond what is already available; if not superior, why bother with the development costs? I'll wait to see the specs before I decide whether it's worth it to our particular family situation.
I think it is important to keep things in perspective and not get bogged down thinking about things in terms of "what happens when blah blah".
The Jeep will certainly have an ICE large enough to power the vehicle off road, when the battery is discharged. That is clear.
Jeep understands that while many Jeep owners like to go off road, you do not live off road.
You do not spend 90% of the time off road. For the overwhelmingly fast amount of owners, 90% of the time they are drying to the shops or work and maybe once or twice a month get out for a jont up to the woods for a little adventure.
The PEHV is designed for that 90% of the time.
Like it or not, the never generation of buyers have different priorities than the older folks. Environmental stuff is important to them. This does not mean MPG, but overall emissions.
If they can buy a Jeep, go off roading and still "feel good" about it, who cares? It's not harming you or me.
If you do not like it, lukily there are several alternatives now. Even a diesel!

Regardless... You better get used to it. in 15 years it is pretty unlikely a IEC engine will be offered by any make.
Personally, I am still hoping for fuel cells and electric motors, but who knows.
Something with all that torque off road would be pretty fun though.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
As a Prius owner... nobody hears it even with the noise. It's a bit of a whirring noise that people don't seem to hear or associate with a vehicle. As an interesting aside, the Chevy Volt I drove for a bit has two horn switches. One blasts the horn like normal, the other sorta chirps the horn. The idea is that as you sneak up on a pedestrian you can give a gentle chirp to let them know you're there rather than a full horn blast. First time I used it the pedestrian flipped me off.

giphy.gif
Guess it would have been less rude to just run em over... :giggle:

rle737ng

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Mojito!
Wonder if you could download sound files. Make it sound like a Harley Fatboy, or a big block Chevy with a cam.

Planetgambale

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
I understand that Tesla has a lot of power under the hood but a hybrid isn't quite the same. Wondering if this engine will be able to deliver while putting the vehicle to it's max off road.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
I understand that Tesla has a lot of power under the hood but a hybrid isn't quite the same. Wondering if this engine will be able to deliver while putting the vehicle to it's max off road.
Good question. If the electric motor is big enough, it should work great. We should learn more tomorrow.
Sponsored