Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Correct me if I'm wrong, regenerative braking only works by actually braking; not compression braking via gearing. In that photo, I wouldn't be braking at all...just idling down the slope.
If you are running on EV only, you wouldn't be using the ICE engine or transmission braking. The EV has no transmission (although some newer high-end models are including a 2-speed for high RPM torque)...which is how regen works on them.

A lot of this hasn't been specifically spelled out for the PHEV configuration of the JL, but if I'm Jeep, I'm not just trying to bolt on a PHEV for the sake of it. I'm trying to tackle a Jeep specific use-case.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If you are running on EV only, you wouldn't be using the ICE engine or transmission braking. The EV has no transmission (although some newer high-end models are including a 2-speed for high RPM torque)...which is how regen works on them.

A lot of this hasn't been specifically spelled out for the PHEV configuration of the JL, but if I'm Jeep, I'm not just trying to bolt on a PHEV for the sake of it. I'm trying to tackle a Jeep specific use-case.
Its very likely the Jeep will be using the ZF 8 speedd hybrid transmission, or a very similar setup. The EV motor is integrated into the transmission itself.

Likely, but I don't know for sure.

https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/products_34949.html

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
The Rubicon is 17.2 miles long, based on the most popular route and typically takes 2 to 3 days.. This will probably have a 32 mile electric only range like the Pacifica so they can sell Wranglers in China. Most PHEV's allow the driver to select ICE only, so in this scenario one could save their battery for the trail. Hybrids love stop and go driving! They don't idle nor do they use much power when crawling along. I drove my Prius down to the LA Auto Show last month hoping to see this new PHEV, hit bad traffic and got almost 70 MPG just creeping along. You guys are worried for no reason! It will make ICE only Jeeps obsolete.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Not a chance. Electrification is a premium feature within the industry unless you are looking at purpose-built Hybrids like the Prius and Insight.

I hope it comes in a 2 door Sport no frills trim.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but it would still function the same way, once the high capacity batter is mostly depleted the engine will still need to run in order to charge the battery. You still get the added torque the electric motor produces AND the torque of the ICE at the same time. Compare the acceleration of a Prius in EV mode only compared to when the ICE is also on, its a world of difference.
The leaks suggest a 50 mile EV only range for the PHEV JL, so as I mentioned that vast majority of all wheeling would probably be possible in pure EV mode. Most wheeling is done at low speed and low RPM, where the most important requirement is torque and lots of it.

The differences in acceleration you are talking about aren't really noticible at crawling speeds either. There are plenty of reports such as this one that show how strong PHEV performance is in the 0-30mph range. Yes, 30-60 they get smoked by hybrid mode but nobody is taking Hell's Revenge at 45mph right?

I have no idea what the final product will look like but it is absolutely feasible (and desirable from my standpoint) to maximize the EV for off-road use. It's the perfect use case!

And if you do somehow get into a situation where you need the ICE, its always there.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon is 17.2 miles long, based on the most popular route and typically takes 2 to 3 days.. This will probably have a 32 mile electric only range like the Pacifica so they can sell Wranglers in China. Most PHEV's allow the driver to select ICE only, so in this scenario one could save their battery for the trail. Hybrids love stop and go driving! They don't idle nor do they use much power when crawling along. I drove my Prius down to the LA Auto Show last month hoping to see this new PHEV, hit bad traffic and got almost 70 MPG just creeping along. You guys are worried for no reason! It will make ICE only Jeeps obsolete.
Interesting take!

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

This video from Bosch sounds like "torque blending" is what will need to be determined by the Jeep engineers to work on the trail. The video claims that regen is activated by pressing the brake....but again, according to the video, Bosch's system (I'm sure others work differently) really is only working at higher speeds to recharge the battery.
You can drive (and I have) a Tesla without ever touching the brakes...its known as "one-pedal driving". The regen in most EVs kicks in as soon as you take your foot off the "gas" pedal.

In fact, it kicks in with my Turbo 4 E-Torque JLU as well without hitting the brakes.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I really hope Jeep focuses on adding capability with the PHEV instead of just improving efficiency. Can't wait to learn more.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I look forward to what they come up with.

I like the possibilities.
This is my take. I’m not totally against the idea of progression because that’s all this is but I’m along for the ride and if it opens up new possibilities then that’s cool too. I just won’t be the first one by any stretch to run out and get one. Lol

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I know a lot of guys are fighting the EV thing, but like it or not, that's the way things are heading (for the time being anyway).

I can see a lot of upside for wheeling, if the battery tech can catch up and they can be made very simple/reliable. The problem will likely be you'll need mechanical and electrical engineering skills to build something like this from scratch....just more skillset will be required and it will put the home build guy at more of a disadvantage. Most people will have to rely on factory offerings, designed and built by highly skilled teams of professionals. Things may become very vanilla in that regard....but the vanilla EV is very likely to far outshine the ICE custom rigs of today.

Of course, one also needs to consider that it may well be in the next 30+ years that owning your own automobile (autonomous or not) may not be legal or could be so cost prohibitive that it's irrelevant....especially if the "ride share" industry meets its stated goal.

Just like we'll have to wait and see how the new PHEV from Jeep performs on the trail, we'll have to wait and see how our energy infrastructure develops as well as the legislative space.
The resistance is just from people that are unaware or haven't tried today's EVs, or who are romantically attached to the past legacy of the Jeep. It's very similar to the long-running manual vs automatic discussion.

If I could build a magical wish list for a Jeep to hardcore off-road it would look like a fully electric Jeep. Instantaneous monster torque, no wheel slippage, no clutch delay, no downblast of air spewing dust everywhere. In an ideal EV, quad EV motors means no differentials, immediate and precise power to each wheel, better traction control, etc. Water fording concerns are eliminated completely (aside from floating your rig away) and it becomes infintiely easier to lift your Jeep without all of the complexities of an ICE engine. And you can save a boatload of weight by ditching all the underarmor for all of that equipment as well. All while getting closer to nature than ever before because your vehicle never makes more than a dull whine all day long.

A PHEV should be an incremental step to that dream rig.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
A plug in hybrid is what the JL needs!

Think about it... Who doesnt want extended range? Not having to carry as many Jerry cans.

With the hybrid, it would make sense for people to only need one vehicle as it can be efficient in town as well.

The only concern with this technology or anything new the FCA puts out is the reliability of it. If they can snag a few Toyota engineers to have a 150k-200k mile battery along with a well build ICE then we are in for the future of offroading

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Also, 50-60 miles of EV range on-road probably translates to an entire day of off-roading.
This seems .... wildly unrealistic. An off road trail is going to be an extremely irregular surface, not a nice neat flat plane with minimal rolling resistance like a street or highway is meant to be. I would be utterly amazed if you made it even half the road distance in electric mode along a rough fire trail, let alone something like the Rubicon.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I wonder about the weight, and whether the added battery would restrict the load capacity even more. On the other hand, even less load capacity than currently is the case, is hard to image... :facepalm:
Sponsored