Advertisement

Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
Yes - Rubicon! I think I see a front diff! I hope someone thinks to get some photos from the under side showing more detail, esp the rear...
Courtesy of Jeep-Noob who's at the show
64b9f188-187f-411e-ad90-a26fb343ee44-jpeg.jpg

3cd2ae08-7bc7-4890-8e48-ece619319fb9-jpeg.jpg

Advertisement

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thanks for 12 entertaining pages! But, the guys from the old Top Gear already figured out electric cars and perfected one - remember the Geoff?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
This is cool and interesting but not for me. If I'm going electric, I'm going 100% electric. I also want at least 500miles of range.

Giving it Supercharger compatibility would help as well.

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original
Courtesy of Jeep-Noob who's at the show
64b9f188-187f-411e-ad90-a26fb343ee44-jpeg.jpg

3cd2ae08-7bc7-4890-8e48-ece619319fb9-jpeg.jpg
Thanks for those pics. Would be good to get one underneath the front as well, so we can see what base motor we're dealing with.

They did a pretty good job locating the batteries. Looks like still an equivalent size gas tank as the non-EV models, which is good. You can see the coolant lines for the batteries draped around the frame rails.

I think from earlier spy shots we also saw that the front axle will have CV shafts.

Bren

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler
I think you guys are on to something here. I would like to see a full electric Wrangler with an on-board ICE to charge the batteries. Sort of like the diesel-electric locomotives. You could ditch the transmission completely, and possibly even the transfer case.
This is how the BMW i3 works. There's a 33hp scooter engine in the trunk. It has no connection to the drivetrain, it only charges the batteries.

The problem is it doesn't do it quite fast enough. The BMW i3 is VERY clever, and they made the thing super lightweight (relatively) by completing rethinking the design and manufacture from first principles. The passenger module is a carbon-fiber / plastic composite, the door panels are glued on, the interior panels are made from hemp, the tires are custom super narrow things that look like they belong on a motorcycle more than a car. The whole thing is weird (and awesome) in the name of weight savings. Meanwhile the car doesn't really do a great job of keeping up with demand if a) you're running the heater + b) at highway speed + c) experience a sustained incline. In moments like that, the buffer between what the batteries need to sustain output and what the motor is able to supply goes into a net negative, and the car has to go into a turtle mode (limiting to 45mph and reducing climate) so that the motor's "buffer" can catch up with energy demand.

I mention this because the Wrangler would not benefit from all of this engineering and would simply be heavy, and so clearly the generator would have to be bigger and at what point does that generator become something approximately equivalent to a 2.0T? That's the question I'd love for an engineer on here to answer.

Super interesting to think about though.

AnnDee4444

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is how the BMW i3 works. There's a 33hp scooter engine in the trunk. It has no connection to the drivetrain, it only charges the batteries.
I've heard this before, but never really looked into it. Does it retain the CVT from the scooter to power the generator? I can't find any photos that show otherwise. If so, it seems like a terrible decision, as the CVT would loose around 25% of it's efficiency before any generating is actually done. Either way, I was thinking the range extender would be more for slower speed off-roading than freeway speeds.

After seeing how the ZF transmission incorporates the electric motor, I'm actually pretty impressed with their design. https://www.zf.com/products/en/lcv/products_50899.html

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

The problem is it doesn't do it quite fast enough. The BMW i3 is VERY clever, and they made the thing super lightweight (relatively) by completing rethinking the design and manufacture from first principles. The passenger module is a carbon-fiber / plastic composite, the door panels are glued on, the interior panels are made from hemp, the tires are custom super narrow things that look like they belong on a motorcycle more than a car. The whole thing is weird (and awesome) in the name of weight savings. Meanwhile the car doesn't really do a great job of keeping up with demand if a) you're running the heater + b) at highway speed + c) experience a sustained incline. In moments like that, the buffer between what the batteries need to sustain output and what the motor is able to supply goes into a net negative, and the car has to go into a turtle mode (limiting to 45mph and reducing climate) so that the motor's "buffer" can catch up with energy demand.

I mention this because the Wrangler would not benefit from all of this engineering and would simply be heavy, and so clearly the generator would have to be bigger and at what point does that generator become something approximately equivalent to a 2.0T? That's the question I'd love for an engineer on here to answer.

Super interesting to think about though.
You are spot on. This is the exact reason why, although EV vehicles have been around for a century and a half, and ICE vehicles for nearly as long, nobody has made a successful business model out of combining the two in any application other than light duty personal transportation.

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
You are spot on. This is the exact reason why, although EV vehicles have been around for a century and a half, and ICE vehicles for nearly as long, nobody has made a successful business model out of combining the two in any application other than light duty personal transportation.
Uh, locomotives?

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Uh, locomotives?
Very different application. The diesel electric setup is used for traction management, not for efficiency. Direct mechanical drive would be more efficient IF they could manage traction losses.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I'm new to Jeeps but am actually a bit surprised at the relative indifference to the location of the charger port. Kinda kills two or three pretty popular mods until they are somehow reworked. (basic light bracket, over windshield light bracket, full rack).

When I first saw it I was kinda waiting for the uproar

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty
I'm new to Jeeps but am actually a bit surprised at the relative indifference to the location of the charger port. Kinda kills two or three pretty popular mods until they are somehow reworked. (basic light bracket, over windshield light bracket, full rack).

When I first saw it I was kinda waiting for the uproar
The problem with accessories that use the cowl is exactly this - only one accessory can use it. So you have to pick.

Advertisement

Advertisement