Sponsored

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Again, I agree that the battery will need to be replaced at some point. How many years? Who knows, but if the answer is less than 10 years, it's covered by warranty. So yes, a financially motivated/savvy buyer should give it consideration, but I think $15k is a massive over-estimation for replacement cost.
These are common estimates in the industry:

1. After an average of 12 years, the battery of an electric vehicle must be replaced.
2. The cost of a battery is about a third of the vehicle's value.

You wouldn't find these in consumer materials, but here's a semi-professional and relaible source https://j.mp/2GF5103

So, I'm estimating:

A 1/3 of the value of a $45K vehicle = $15K. Depreciated over 12 years = $1,250 per year in battery replacement cost.

YMMV
Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE

1. After an average of 12 years, the battery of an electric vehicle must be replaced.

You wouldn't find these in consumer materials, but here's a semi-professional and relaible source https://j.mp/2GF5103

So, I'm estimating:

A 1/3 of the value of a $45K vehicle = $15K. Depreciated over 12 years = $1,250 per year in battery replacement cost.

YMMV
YMMV a lot. Battery costs will plummet over the next 12 years as the entire industry scales up production and tech improves. I'd bet there will be aftermarket options for a replacement battery that doubles the OG range for about the same price as a nice set of shoes.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score

So, I'm estimating:

YMMV
Battery prices for EVs today are about $150/kWh. For the 4xe's 17 kWh pack, that is about $2,700. Today. (Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robday...o-transform-multiple-industries/#170d62ba1054)

Prices are expected to drop to about $100/kWh by 2025... making a replacement pack about $1,700. (Source:
https://about.bnef.com/blog/battery...ps-up-with-market-average-at-156-kwh-in-2019/)

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon

So, I'm estimating:

YMMV
I donā€™t understand how point #2 relates to the 4xe. The 4xe isnā€™t an electric car. Itā€™s a hybrid.

Lets take the Model 3 as an example. Itā€˜s battery is about 3-4 times the size of the 4xeā€™s battery. The model 3 of course has no ICE or the countless components that go along with an ICE. All of those things cost money. So it stands to reason the battery is a very large portion of the Model 3ā€™s overall cost.

The 4xe, on the other hand, includes all of the systems that are part of a 2.0 turbo etoque Jeep. A battery that is a fraction of the size of an electric carā€™s battery simply cannot be as large of a proportion of the cost because there are so many non-battery components contributing to the vehicleā€™s overall cost.

Besides I think it stands to reason that Jeep could not possibly use a $12k battery in this application. The 4xe canā€™t be a $15k option. Such an expensive system wouldnā€™t make business sense or be applicable to most of the rest of FCAā€™s portfolio.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
in regards to the 25 mi estimated range, I read today that the Rubicon 4xe ran the 22 mile rubicon trail all in EV mode.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ild-solar-powered-chargers-on-off-road-trails
Gotta say I'm surprised by this (in a good way) and am struggling to understand how it's possible.

The start of the trail is about 120 feet lower than the end, so net elevation change is working slightly against it.

Unlike when pushing this thing at highway speeds, drag is a non-issue on the trail. But that certainly doesn't help ICE mileage on trail, which is usually a fraction of hwy mileage.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ā€™21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
Gotta say I'm surprised by this (in a good way) and am struggling to understand how it's possible.

The start of the trail is about 120 feet lower than the end, so net elevation change is working slightly against it.

Unlike when pushing this thing at highway speeds, drag is a non-issue on the trail. But that certainly doesn't help ICE mileage on trail, which is usually a fraction of hwy mileage.
just going by what the jeep guy says, if its true that's great... also neat that they are going to be adding solar powered charging stations on trails in Utah and in CA

Sponsored

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Jeep canā€™t make a Gas engine that wouldnā€™t have issues (this forum is filled of 3.6 issues, letā€™s not forget the issues with the aux battery in 18-19), imagine what a hybrid would be.
I would be interested in the 2nd gen of 4xe in 10 more years. Iā€™m sure they have a lot more to learn.

Also 37 w/o regear is out of the picture. It will drain that battery like crazy

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep canā€™t make a Gas engine that wouldnā€™t have issues (this forum is filled of 3.6 issues, letā€™s not forget the issues with the aux battery in 18-19), imagine what a hybrid would be.
I would be interested in the 2nd gen of 4xe in 10 more years. Iā€™m sure they have a lot more to learn.

To be fair, the auxiliary battery issue transcends the 3.6 V6. Owners of the 2.0T, eTorque and the EcoDiesel also report auxiliary battery/charging/ESS issues.

But your point remains the same: this issue would only be even more critical on the 4xe

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase

People are having issues with the engine? Most what I read are issues with other components...steering, battery, transmission. The engines seem to be the one thing they do well. :P

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
People are having issues with the engine? Most what I read are issues with other components...steering, battery, transmission. The engines seem to be the one thing they do well. :P
Look it up, Iā€™ve seen engines swapped out reports here in the v6 which it should be a vetted out engine.

the problem with FCA is quality. Engineers may aim for for decent quality in their designs but FCA donā€™t want to pay for good quality from design to manufacturers. The intent may be there but They are cutting corners and it shows.
Sponsored