Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
"Quiet" , coupled with no tail pipe emissions, no fire starting hot exhaust components, is HUGE for off road enjoyment.
I would love one of these...
PHEVs still have the hot scorching exhaust of the combustion engine. More so out in the bunnies, after the all-electric juice ran out after 25 miles.
Sponsored

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
If you don't understand or believe in the benefits of a PHEV, then buy the gas full ICE model and be happy. Some of you people sound like a single guy going into a mini van forum complaining about not needing that many seats and sliding doors. A PHEV isn't made for everyone, but for some of us its an excellent choice.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
PHEVs still have the hot scorching exhaust of the combustion engine. More so out in the bunnies, after the all-electric juice ran out after 25 miles.
Technically about 2.5 miles of off-road use.

Seriously, whatvhappens to your 20+ mpg when on the trail? 6mpg? If even that?

With all that said, i would SO line up for one if they swapped that auto for the 6MT. No need to clutch in at a stop, the EV can get you to about 4mph where the ice can kick in and you could go EV only during a technical crawl

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
The first option many will consider is the loudest optional sound system playing rap, Industrial. metal or acid rock.
I'd love to see how range figures diminish based on using a high powered sound system. I know that a Tesla's range can be cut in half by using the heater on a cold day.

With all that said, i would SO line up for one if they swapped that auto for the 6MT. No need to clutch in at a stop, the EV can get you to about 4mph where the ice can kick in and you could go EV only during a technical crawl
The only manual hybrid ever introduced, to my knowledge, was the first generation Honda Insight. It is simply really difficult to account for the driver's throttle and shifting inputs compared to doing so in a drive-by-wire automatic.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The only manual hybrid ever introduced, to my knowledge, was the first generation Honda Insight. It is simply really difficult to account for the driver's throttle and shifting inputs compared to doing so in a drive-by-wire automatic.

...and the Honda CR-Z...which the entire world forgets even existed.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This morning TFL posted a rosy video on JL 4xe and the benefits/opportunities the technology offers.

This should give the rookies at FCA some pointers on how to position and market this thing properly.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
If you don't understand or believe in the benefits of a PHEV, then buy the gas full ICE model and be happy. Some of you people sound like a single guy going into a mini van forum complaining about not needing that many seats and sliding doors. A PHEV isn't made for everyone, but for some of us its an excellent choice.
It's like anything new. Most people don't like change. A certain subset of people are good at keeping open minds, but by and large people like to find things wrong with new things, and that makes them feel better and safer with the status quo. I used to be really crabby about electric vehicles, too, but for whatever reason I've come around to the inevitability of it over the last year or so.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Is that because you spend most of your time idling and moving really slow? If you have the AC and heat off, an idling electric car doesn't really use any electricity.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
A certain subset of people are good at keeping open minds,
An open mind here is code for an open pocketbook, cheap money, easy credit. To Hell with thrift, common sense, hard work and good value. Gonna be interesting when full employment returns at <80% of what it was before Covid and government excuse unemployment checks dry up. Are the 80% going to feel generous toward that 20% of newly structured unemployed? Today's Covid economy already shows 50% underemployment is sustainable with rioting, law enforcement and cleanup sopping up the surplus workforce. $80,000 Jeeps in a $15 an hour economy; someone's smoking a lot of pot.

Sponsored

FrankNY

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU Sahara
One of my other cars is an Outlander PHEV, rated to get 22 miles on the battery. In a hilly area it's more like 10 miles. When the battery is depleted, the ICE gets around 25 mpg, just slightly better than my 3.6 Jeep. However, the short time driving in all electric is fun between the quiet and the torque.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This is step three of x on the road towards axing the two door.

1. Sahara only available on 4-door
2. Diesel only available on 4-door
3. PHEV only available on 4-door (presumably)
4. ???
x. Profit!

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
This is step three of x on the road towards axing the two door.

1. Sahara only available on 4-door
2. Diesel only available on 4-door
3. PHEV only available on 4-door (presumably)
4. ???
x. Profit!
5. buy a Bronco

I think someone from Jeep mentioned that the Diesel was possible in the 2 door if the demand was there. But it's not looking like the PHEV system will make it over.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Ya know, at first I was in the group of hating hybrids but I believe they’ve come a long way.

I am however curious of aftermarket options on a hardtop for solar panels for those camping trips to charge the battery, even it’s just a few miles a day.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
I'd love to see how range figures diminish based on using a high powered sound system. I know that a Tesla's range can be cut in half by using the heater on a cold day.

Tesla owner here. To say cut in half is pretty dramatic. We're talking severe arctic cold to have that sort of impact. In New England winters it's about 20% of range reduction running heat on a cold battery. I'm assuming FCA is giving itself a buffer here, meaning the true range of that battery is probably more like 35-40 miles, but they will limit the upper and lower capacity because batteries are happiest (and last longest) when kept out of the top/bottom 10% of capacity. That means 20% is something like 7 miles, which they could conceivably hide in that buffer.

Sound system almost certain runs off standard 12v battery, and should have no impact on range.
Sponsored