Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
The main advantage of the 4xe over the standard wrangler is much better mpg for short trips where you can operate primarily on electric power, improved acceleration and torque and improved mpg when regenerative braking and electric assist is factor when accelerating.
Adding to this also the brakes should last much longer, which is a nice benefit of using Regen.
Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Again, I agree that the battery will need to be replaced at some point. How many years? Who knows, but if the answer is less than 10 years, it's covered by warranty. So yes, a financially motivated/savvy buyer should give it consideration, but I think $15k is a massive over-estimation for replacement cost.

Sorry for bringing up the Pacifica Hybrid again, but it's the closest analogue available - the PacHy battery costs less than $9k TODAY. Could there be considerations that make the PacHy battery less expensive than the 4xe's battery? Possibly. Could the 4xe prove to be more or less popular than the PacHy and drive different economies of scale? Sure. But with battery tech improving and costs decreasing, I suspect that the cost for a replacement battery will be significantly less in 2032 than the $9k it costs today.
Not only that, but the battery you buy in 10 years will probably have higher energy density and extend the vehicles range beyond the original 25 miles.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I can add a little I put here

first this type of hybrid is in no way new or unique
second hybrid batteries are more or less standardized to include a 100k warranty, Toyota recently pushed theirs to 150k the odometer moves the same no matter the mode it’s in, but data is logged to count each separately
third these systems are far more resistant to water, mud and crap getting into them than mechanical comp
fourth 50 mpg is incredibly impressive for a brick on 33s
fifth electric drive is 100% the future. This is a stepping stone. The first all electric wrangler is 3 model years out. It will flat out embarrass and motor ever put stock into a Jeep and anything south of a hellcat will be outrun

I’m getting a diesel gladiator because I need one for this years tax filing or I’d be waiting for the in-line 6 turbo hybrid that’s in development. Either way it’s the last ICE engine I’ll ever buy.

pjtait

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Is this another 4-door-only model? Haven't seen any pics of a 2-door version....

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
... I’d be waiting for the in-line 6 turbo hybrid that’s in development. Either way it’s the last ICE engine I’ll ever buy.
Aroo? This is the first I have heard of an I6 Hybrid. Do tell! (see what I did there lol)
edit: or are you just talking about the etorque band-aid?

wingdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
I can add a little I put here

first this type of hybrid is in no way new or unique
second hybrid batteries are more or less standardized to include a 100k warranty, Toyota recently pushed theirs to 150k the odometer moves the same no matter the mode it’s in, but data is logged to count each separately
third these systems are far more resistant to water, mud and crap getting into them than mechanical comp
fourth 50 mpg is incredibly impressive for a brick on 33s
fifth electric drive is 100% the future. This is a stepping stone. The first all electric wrangler is 3 model years out. It will flat out embarrass and motor ever put stock into a Jeep and anything south of a hellcat will be outrun

I’m getting a diesel gladiator because I need one for this years tax filing or I’d be waiting for the in-line 6 turbo hybrid that’s in development. Either way it’s the last ICE engine I’ll ever buy.
50 is MPGe (miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent) in electric only mode (25 miles range). BMW X5 hybrid is also rated at 50 MPGe with 20 MPG in gas only mode.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So they've modified (at least) the length of the front and rear drive shafts. Looks like the front is a bit longer, while the rear is a bit shorter. I wonder if this will impact the need for aftermarket shafts with certain lift kits.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! 4xe chassis

Picture lifted from TFL video

Last edited:

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
The JL Wrangler has a 0.454 coefficient of drag. Source

Context:
Hummer H2 = 0.57
Tesla Model X = 0.25
Ohh, thanks for those. As I recall, the power required to push a car through the air is 0.5*Cd*A*V^2. Where A is the frontal area & V^2 is the velocity squared. So, assuming the JL & H2 are the same cross sectional area (4.3m^2) and the much shorter Model X is ~3.5m^2, we have:
H2 1217
JL 959
Pounds force to push through the air at 60mph.

Not that this has all that much to do with JL's, per se, but it helps to explain why lifting your JEEP, adding a roof rack, or speeding up all significantly decrease your battery range. And frankly, I think the engineers did a good job keeping the Cd low on the JL

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not only that, but the battery you buy in 10 years will probably have higher energy density and extend the vehicles range beyond the original 25 miles.
Probably there will be some improvements in battery density in 10 years, however the chance of those batteries being backwards compatible with your 2021 Wrangler is slim to none

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
50 is MPGe (miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent) in electric only mode (25 miles range). BMW X5 hybrid is also rated at 50 MPGe with 20 MPG in gas only mode.
the X5 is rolling on 30” street tires and has a huge aero advantage

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Probably there will be some improvements in battery density in 10 years, however the chance of those batteries being backwards compatible with your 2021 Wrangler is slim to none
You may or may not be right. But if you're like me, 10 years from now, the 2021 Wrangler will be at least three vehicles ago.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just gonna leave this here...
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! HP and Torque

* Yeah, yeah, does not account for power/weight ratio, areas under the curve, cost of ownership, reliability, awesome V8 exhaust notes, total silence, or whatever else you may value.

Edited to add: This chart is outdated. The 392 launch information states 470 hp and tq which an increase from the estimated 450 from the concept.
Sponsored

Last edited: