litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Far from it. and I see you're a climate troll. Try to move into the 20th century, at least.
Sponsored

Frankencar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want JLURD. Have JKUR, 10 VW's and Dad's Willys Pickup.
Well I just regeared my 2019 JLUR to 5.13 and gas mileage is up to 18 so I am happy with that. But if this thing even gets 40 with it in hybrid full time mode, i'd be down with that.

If I did get one would it be a 2021 JLUR4XE? Man, that is one hell of an acronym.
It will absolutely not get 40 or better MPG. Based on the assumed fuel tank size and the claimed range you're looking at 22MPG at best. MPGe is a terrible term as it is misleading and hardly related to MPG.

With more power than any other wrangler, the ability to wheel in electric only mode, and the ability to commute short distances on electricity only, this Jeep should be just right for many people. For those who only use their Jeep for long highway trips, the diesel will be better, but for those who do mostly short distances, this will.

Sponsored

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
The 50 MPGe that is claimed in the announcement is somewhat misleading. It implies this is the combined hybrid mpg of electric plus motor. But MPGe refers to the gasoline energy equivalent for the electrical energy used when electric propulsion is used. As was stated above, the actual mpg when operating with electric assist but primarily with gas powered is going to be much less. A Prius can get combined mpg of 50 because it is much more aerodynamic and lighter than a Wrangler. When your running the 4xe in mostly gasoline powered mode I would expect the Mpg to pretty close to mpg for the standard gas powered wrangler. It still has terrible aerodynamics and even more weight with the added electric components .

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Let's try some rough, back of the envelope math based on some assumptions* (caveats apply)

The Pacifica has a 19 gallon tank. The Pacifica Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon tank. Someone above said that the 4xe has a 16 gallon tank, let's assume that's the case.

FCA claims 25 miles electric range and ~400 miles total range.

400 miles - 25 miles = 375 miles. 375 miles / 16 gallons = 23.4 mpg while on gas. Seems pretty reasonable.

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The main advantage of the 4xe over the standard wrangler is much better mpg for short trips where you can operate primarily on electric power, improved acceleration and torque and improved mpg when regenerative braking and electric assist is factor when accelerating.

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RubiTuesday has it exactly right when traveling on a long trip at Relatively constant highway speeds. It is only on short trips or stop and go where you should get better mileage. In stop and go electric assist will reduce the gas you use when accelerating when mpg Is the worst and you capture energy when slowing down from regenerative braking.

Sponsored

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The main advantage of the 4xe over the standard wrangler is much better mpg for short trips where you can operate primarily on electric power, improved acceleration and torque and improved mpg when regenerative braking and electric assist is factor when accelerating.
These a lot of advantages: More torque, more power, less gas, and better for the environment.

I'm concerned, though, about battery life. As I wrote:

Batteries are the most expensive component in an electric vehicle (EV), representing about 30% of the cost. And batteries have a limited longevity. Industry estimates are that by the time a vehicle is six years old, its battery has gone through half of its useful life.

If this were a Tesla, you may not care that it’d require a major investment every 12 years. But Wrangler live for a very long time – and have the best depreciation figures of any vehicle. So, potential buyers may be put off by $1,250 in annual battery depreciation (I’m assuming a $15K cost of replacement every 12 years).

EVs are the direction of the car industry, and much research goes into improving battery longevity and lowering the cost of manufacturing. Both should eventually improve, but for now, battery longevity is a concern.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
These a lot of advantages: More torque, more power, less gas, and better for the environment.

I'm concerned, though, about battery life. As I wrote:

Batteries are the most expensive component in an electric vehicle (EV), representing about 30% of the cost. And batteries have a limited longevity. Industry estimates are that by the time a vehicle is six years old, its battery has gone through half of its useful life.

If this were a Tesla, you may not care that it’d require a major investment every 12 years. But Wrangler live for a very long time – and have the best depreciation figures of any vehicle. So, potential buyers may be put off by $1,250 in annual battery depreciation (I’m assuming a $15K cost of replacement every 12 years).

EVs are the direction of the car industry, and much research goes into improving battery longevity and lowering the cost of manufacturing. Both should eventually improve, but for now, battery longevity is a concern.
Again, I agree that the battery will need to be replaced at some point. How many years? Who knows, but if the answer is less than 10 years, it's covered by warranty. So yes, a financially motivated/savvy buyer should give it consideration, but I think $15k is a massive over-estimation for replacement cost.

Sorry for bringing up the Pacifica Hybrid again, but it's the closest analogue available - the PacHy battery costs less than $9k TODAY. Could there be considerations that make the PacHy battery less expensive than the 4xe's battery? Possibly. Could the 4xe prove to be more or less popular than the PacHy and drive different economies of scale? Sure. But with battery tech improving and costs decreasing, I suspect that the cost for a replacement battery will be significantly less in 2032 than the $9k it costs today.
Sponsored