Sponsored

Dan250378

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 530d
You don't see any diesel electrics for a few reasons. For one, the cost would be staggering, and two, it's less efficient than straight diesel.

Trains use the configuration for traction management not possible with direct drive, and also because the packaging doesn't allow for direct drive, not without steam engine style exterior power transmission bars linking the wheels
not quite right, there is one who is doing disel as PHEV, at least they sell them here in Europe and that is Mercedes, they offer normal Gas and Disel as PHEV
Sponsored

Kimdracula

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Is that combined 50miles with the engine and electric hwy? If so, what is the city? I’m guessing maybe the 50 miles is both city and hwy, considering the engine usually gets about the same MPG in both situations. Maybe this has already been covered, But I didn’t see it if it has.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

While you’re somewhat correct, NIMBYIsm keeps smaller scale “local” plants off the grid. That’s changing thanks to home and neighborhood installed solar generation. Moving to transmission by DC would help with efficiency as well.
There’s also efficiency in scale through costs shared as well. All in all centralized generation, even when coal (the absolute worst way to generate electricity) is still less polluting by almost every measure than ICE.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Absolutely - if the PHEV allows access to the stored energy of the motive battery it’s an excellent source of campsite or worksite power.

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
not quite right, there is one who is doing disel as PHEV, at least they sell them here in Europe and that is Mercedes, they offer normal Gas and Disel as PHEV
I wasn't specific, meant direct diesel electric power generation like a train, not using a battery for storage.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's why it's important to save the Tigers! As long as we're saving them in someone ELSE'S backyard...

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is that combined 50miles with the engine and electric hwy? If so, what is the city? I’m guessing maybe the 50 miles is both city and hwy, considering the engine usually gets about the same MPG in both situations. Maybe this has already been covered, But I didn’t see it if it has.
Some insight as to how FCA calculates MPGe. Links go to the applicable timestamps.

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

WTF are you talking about? Yes, temperature pollution is a problem, but this sounds like denier crap. Steam effecting krill populations? I could see coastal power stations affecting local water temperature sensitive environs. Whatever the hell you’ve trying to say or imply is just pure poppycock.
Sponsored